Unity Abandoned New World Order [v0.2] [Nebulez]

popober

Jun 9, 2017
This seems familiar...
I couldn't really get into the Overgrown: Genesis as the CGs are so few and far between, at least while it's still in development. It seems that while Dystopian Project's games have great artwork, it takes a loooong time for them to be implemented on top of the slow updates.

I really hope this is different as I do love the sexual sandbox feel post apocalyptic settings offer with their inherent lawlessness. The art style is very good as well. This version's content still seems to be very small, so definitely adding this to the watch list for later updates.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
I am rather surprised noone raised complaints about the rather tidious battles... you start only with a knife and have to fight zombies in close combat who can move faster than you and slowly chip your HP away...you can either train which cost food and water or try to heal yourself by sleeping through the day...which also cost food and water.
I found myself either eaten by zombies or starved in bed after only a few days... sometimes you encounter zombies that are as strong as you, which makes it possible to kill them without being hit, but that gets rarer with every passing day...
Also do harvest points refresh? I played for several in game days but they never did...the zombies on the floors below my flat did though

Aug 16, 2016
Clicking items in the inventory just seems to make them disappear. I found the storage for my flat and how to transfer a medkit to my person, but the UI doesn't give you any idea how to use items, what the items are, and combat is just 'swing away while you take tons of damage'. It definitely has potential - the 2d art is quality and I'm not having any problems with bugs or anything else, but UI needs work or explanation and combat should to be less of a "click faster than your healthbar depletes" ordeal. Also, a button to hide the dialogue window would be nice.

Reactions: Trapezio

Nebulez

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
I am rather surprised noone raised complaints about the rather tidious battles... you start only with a knife and have to fight zombies in close combat who can move faster than you and slowly chip your HP away...you can either train which cost food and water or try to heal yourself by sleeping through the day...which also cost food and water.
I found myself either eaten by zombies or starved in bed after only a few days... sometimes you encounter zombies that are as strong as you, which makes it possible to kill them without being hit, but that gets rarer with every passing day...
Also do harvest points refresh? I played for several in game days but they never did...the zombies on the floors below my flat did though
If the battles are tedious how do I fix that?

My ideas which I'll implement in v0.2 will be to:
- implement more story which would break up the monotony of going out, looting, and killing zombies.
- encourage the player to avoid fighting if they don't have to (through the story)
- maybe some kind of blocking mechanic which reduces damage by half (which will hopefully make battles more engaging)

If you have any ideas please tell me though.

How are you running out of food and water?

Admittedly I only did a surface level play test and didn't loot all the way down to floor 1 so I'll look into buffing food and water.

However I think it's because I didn't explain the stats. What you want to do is get your strength to lv 2 which will allow you to 2 hit the zombies instead of needing 3 hits. Then raise you constitution up which will raise your max health which makes sleeping more efficient because sleeping heals 10% of your max health.

for v0.2
- I'll mention these two things in the story
- maybe buff sleeping?

All the zombies have 30 health, do 10 dmg at an attack rate of once per second so I'm not sure what you mean when you say there are zombies as strong as you. Raising your agility does increase your movement speed though allowing you to kite the zombies once high enough.

I'm not sure what you mean by harvest points. Zombies should not be respawning and loot should not be respawning. Maybe they were off screen and you just didn't see them. If there are 10 zombies and you kill 1, there should be 9 when you go back. If they are respawning though, that's a bug and I need more information to fix it.

Clicking items in the inventory just seems to make them disappear. I found the storage for my flat and how to transfer a medkit to my person, but the UI doesn't give you any idea how to use items, what the items are, and combat is just 'swing away while you take tons of damage'. It definitely has potential - the 2d art is quality and I'm not having any problems with bugs or anything else, but UI needs work or explanation and combat should to be less of a "click faster than your healthbar depletes" ordeal. Also, a button to hide the dialogue window would be nice.
I haven't implemented the ability to use items yet, so I fucked up and that's a bug (I fixed it though so it's fine)

for v0.2
- already fixed item disappearing bug
- I'll implement the ability to use health kits only which will heal %50 of your max health

I think the problem with combat is that people are just spam clicking when you can only attack once per second. ideally you want to attack and then kite.

for v0.2
- mention how to fight in the story
- add attack sound effect so that the player will know spam clicking doesn't do anything.

I'm not sure how hard hiding the dialogue window will be but I'll try.

Reactions: grasshopper

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
for me zombies on the level below my apartment kept respawning... I killed all but one than went for a night upstairs...next day the entire floor was crawling again... which made exploreing nearly impossible at some point.
I had leveld up all stats to level 2 but thanks to that I couldn't provide enough rations to sleep for even 1 day in order to get healed again.

The combat is rather unbalanced for me right now... from day 1 you can encounter zombies with probably lvl 2 agility that move faster than myself...killing 2 of them leaves me with 30 HP which is not enough in order to kill a 3rd. from time to time you get a zombie that moves as fast as the MC those are easy enough to kill
later I encountered a Zombie that only took 10dmg with me lvl 2 str...it was rather slow though

harvest/search points... if you have only limited access to search locations haveing them as single use is murderes

Nebulez

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
for me zombies on the level below my apartment kept respawning... I killed all but one than went for a night upstairs...next day the entire floor was crawling again... which made exploreing nearly impossible at some point.
I had leveld up all stats to level 2 but thanks to that I couldn't provide enough rations to sleep for even 1 day in order to get healed again.

The combat is rather unbalanced for me right now... from day 1 you can encounter zombies with probably lvl 2 agility that move faster than myself...killing 2 of them leaves me with 30 HP which is not enough in order to kill a 3rd. from time to time you get a zombie that moves as fast as the MC those are easy enough to kill
later I encountered a Zombie that only took 10dmg with me lvl 2 str...it was rather slow though

harvest/search points... if you have only limited access to search locations haveing them as single use is murderes

You were right about the zombies respawning. You will find that fixed in v0.2.

I'll look into buffing food and water.

I'll probably nerf zombies so that they'll have 15 health do 5 dmg and move slow enough that players can kite them. Zombies outside in the city map I'm making though will be like the current zombies.

All zombies are made from a single copy so there shouldn't be some weaker or stronger. If that is indeed so, that's a bug and I need more information.

Having limited looting objects shouldn't be a problem once I add in renewable looting spots, more loot, and farms and rain catchers.

Reactions: grasshopper

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
If zombies stop respawning the player should be able to systematically clear floors and have access to more loot spots, so you might be fine...my problem was that I only had access to 3 floors at max...and that included takeing the risk of being ambushed by a zombie on my way back.
the live and dmg of the enemies are fine aswell...if you make them slower that's actually perfect
sadly I can't give you more information about those zombies than what I already did

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
It hasn't provided the genre enough innovation compared to the other two titles, it is a rather bland -though entertaining- game. The game is not fine cuisine, it's fast food! :)
Left for Dead's innovation was mostly in the multiplayer aspect. It was the first game I know of that implemented an adaptive AI dungeon master that was focused on making the game fun regardless of who was playing. Some of the tricks they used were very impressive.

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
Yes that is true, and that's why I wrote that it hasn't innovated on the Zombies genre, it did definetly innovate on the multiplayer coop aspect of a first person shooter :)

Nebulez

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
V0.2

bug fixes
- fixed items disappearing when clicked on in inventory
- fixed zombies respawning when they shouldn't
- prevented players from breaking the game by spamming save

balances
- zombies in tutorial apartment nerfed

new features
- new city map
- helpful tips added to game
- medicine can now be used to heal 50% of health
- dialog box can now be hidden
- new story dialogue
- 2 new h-scenes
- added music and sound effects

changes
- stairs going up on home apartment floor removed

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Ok bugs I found...
trained str to lvl 2 and did 15 dmg... kept training on str (x4) and only deal 10 dmg now
also see screen shot...some enemies leave the boundaries of the map

not bugs but inconsistencies that dampen game play...
A bit confuseing... search can be "succesfull" and you still won't find anything usable (no item added to inventory) maybe make a succesfull search only if you actually scavange something...I first thought some loot points were buged
The game indicates, that you'll be able to plant a garden on the roof...but there is no staircase leading up (while mentioned in the update news the ingame dialogue still points it out as a possibility)

Nebulez

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Ok bugs I found...
trained str to lvl 2 and did 15 dmg... kept training on str (x4) and only deal 10 dmg now
also see screen shot...some enemies leave the boundaries of the map

not bugs but inconsistencies that dampen game play...
A bit confuseing... search can be "succesfull" and you still won't find anything usable (no item added to inventory) maybe make a succesfull search only if you actually scavange something...I first thought some loot points were buged
The game indicates, that you'll be able to plant a garden on the roof...but there is no staircase leading up (while mentioned in the update news the ingame dialogue still points it out as a possibility)
I couldn't recreate both bugs. I testing with unity and I tested with the .exe file.
Looking at the trainer code I don't see anything wrong with it.
Looking at the the pathfinding graph, collisions, and zombie spawn locations, I can't figure out why zombies would spawn out of bounds.

Did you start a new game?
Or if you did, try going to your "C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Nebulez\New World Order" folder and deleting all the .sav files.

Also why is your UI so messed up?

I can see how looting can be confusing. I'll change it so that if you find nothing it will say nothing.

Roof area is planned for the next update and I'll probably add a ladder.

Edit: you were right, figured out the dmg bug