VN Ren'Py New to writing. Can't decide

crimsoncriss

Feb 4, 2018
Hello. I've decided to make my own game, after playing a lot of them.
Still new to the whole thing, and would appreciate some feedback before getting too deep on the wrong side.
What I hope the result will be, is a game with more story and less grind. Multiple paths and endings.
Can't decide whether to go with HS or Kk models
3d.png
2d.png

Pros and cons?
The realistic ones look better, of course.
The anime ones give me more options and are a tad easier to manipulate.

So... I'm going to see what you lot think.
Which one should I go with?

Last edited:

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
I think your 2d design are more cool
you put more detail and passion in it
your 3d look general and like a force to be realistic

Reactions: crimsoncriss

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
Those are both 3d models.

Your art choice really is up to you although there is a larger audience that would prefer HoneySelect graphics over Koikatu.

I've played around with Koikatu/EmotionCreator before and my biggest gripes with it are that characters look horrible from a side profile and lighting is a nightmare to work with. I haven't used HoneySelect/PlayHome before so can't comment on that.

crimsoncriss

Feb 4, 2018
Those are both 3d models.

Your art choice really is up to you although there is a larger audience that would prefer HoneySelect graphics over Koikatu.

I've played around with Koikatu/EmotionCreator before and my biggest gripes with it are that characters look horrible from a side profile and lighting is a nightmare to work with. I haven't used HoneySelect/PlayHome before so can't comment on that.
Indeed. With Koikatu, some things just look wrong. Altho I've never experienced true difficulties with liting yet.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I prefer HS over koikatsu but in your example, the 2nd one does seem to have more character. Koikatsu is just too cutesy for my tastes though.

215303j

Difficult choice...

Personally I always feel that HS is for devs who can't / won't use Daz, which I think is better in all respects.
So to me a HS game will always start as a sub-par effort.
Doesn't mean it can't overcome that and end up as pretty good, but will be at a disadvantage.

The anime style for sure is different and without that particular disadvantage.
On the other hand people will expect an anime type story with that kind of art, if you now what I mean.

Generally I think that with the large amount of top quality Daz games coming out recently, development for "less gifted" devs is becoming more and more difficult. Maybe another option would be to team up with a great artist who may not know how to write or work with Renpy.

crimsoncriss: not trying to discourage you, but just giving an honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: crimsoncriss

crimsoncriss

Feb 4, 2018
Difficult choice...

Personally I always feel that HS is for devs who can't / won't use Daz, which I think is better in all respects.
So to me a HS game will always start as a sub-par effort.
Doesn't mean it can't overcome that and end up as pretty good, but will be at a disadvantage.

The anime style for sure is different and without that particular disadvantage.
On the other hand people will expect an anime type story with that kind of art, if you now what I mean.
Tried Daz. 1h+ to render one image... Not an option. And yes, The story .... anime... altho I never considered the style to impact the writing. You do have a point.

215303j

Tried Daz. 1h+ to render one image... Not an option. And yes, The story .... anime... altho I never considered the style to impact the writing. You do have a point.
Personally I already need a slight suspension of disbelief on HS stories set outside Asia, especially regarding the male characters.

Btw I edited my previous post to add some more thoughts.

Again, not trying to discourage you... But it's better like this than to be disappointed at the results when you put a lot of hard work in, especially if you are looking to make money out of this.

Other art options could be:
TK17
Second Life
The Sims

They may be technically inferior to HS but may be better at making Western characters.

crimsoncriss

Feb 4, 2018
Personally I already need a slight suspension of disbelief on HS stories set outside Asia, especially regarding the male characters.

Btw I edited my previous post to add some more thoughts.

Again, not trying to discourage you... But it's better like this than to be disappointed at the results when you put a lot of hard work in, especially if you are looking to make money out of this.

Other art options could be:
TK17
Second Life
The Sims

They may be technically inferior to HS but may be better at making Western characters.
TK17 might indeed be an option. And, thank you. To be honest, I prefer constructive criticism. Better to know what to expect and there are some things I genuinely not thought about. Like... even if people would prefer HS, my models suck. And if I'm to be honest, my story would have already included powers, so it might just be what a fit for me to use kk.
As for teaming up...
I'm mainly making this as a way to kill time, and learn something in the mean-time.
As for making money off it, at the moment that's not something I'm concerned with. Maybe if the result ends up good enough, that will be something I'd consider.

Reactions: 215303j

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
You don’t need daz
Player just don’t know that daz is more limit for free same model use
(Unless pirate or buy or created customized)
And look pass it like wow this is realistic and say it put more effort
But in fact most thing in daz is already set up by other creators same as HS and Kk
Most dev are borrowing these tool too
Just a few dev that created custom scene model or lighting effect
But player will never know
They just look at the surface
And what is suit their test they say good effort
Why daz is popular because this forum is western
But hs and kk had a good place too if your work great
The same as daz if your work not great hundred of daz game that failed are on here too

but what I would say is
Don’t listen to anyone that much
Choose what style/ tool you like
It will be hell to work with somethings you don’t like as a hobby I can tell

crimsoncriss

Feb 4, 2018
You don’t need daz
Player just don’t know that daz is more limit for free same model use
(Unless pirate or buy or created customized)
And look pass it like wow this is realistic and say it put more effort
But in fact most thing in daz is already set up by other creators same as HS and Kk
Most dev are borrowing these tool too
Just a few dev that created custom scene model or lighting effect
But player will never know
They just look at the surface
And what is suit their test they say good effort
Why daz is popular because this forum is western
But hs and kk had a good place too if your work great
The same as daz if your work not great hundred of daz game that failed are on here too

but what I would say is
Don’t listen to anyone that much
Choose what style/ tool you like
It will be hell to work with somethings you don’t like as a hobby I can tell
Wery true.
I enjoy both of them. And initially started with HS. So I would have favored it over kk. But, it would mean I have to put in more work into the design. Comparing my models with other's I've seen, makes me realize that yes. They do not look good. And that's the problem with realistic. If you don't nail it, it ends up looking wrong. As it stands now, I'll probably give it a bit more effort. If I can get them to look better, I might stick with HS. Else, kk it is.
The main thing I want to pour effort into is the actual story. Because the animations do take time. But they are relatively easy to do, once you know what they should be. If that makes any sense :)

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
Similar and related, to the extent where I think I'm merely expanding the same point rather than expressing disagreement, I think the art style has to suit the experience you wish to create. There are stories that honestly would suck, hugely, if rendered in a photo-realistic style, rather than an anime/cute art style, because the cuteness itself is necessary to give the right tone.

But likewise, if you are having an ultra-realistic story, and want people to truly feel the reality, it helps hugely to have realistic renders.

So, my advice is first understand what impact the different art styles have, and then ensure the fit the game experience you want to create. If you are limited in art options, then tailor the entire game and story to be something that is enhanced by that art style, rather than limited by it.

crimsoncriss

Feb 4, 2018
Similar and related, to the extent where I think I'm merely expanding the same point rather than expressing disagreement, I think the art style has to suit the experience you wish to create. There are stories that honestly would suck, hugely, if rendered in a photo-realistic style, rather than an anime/cute art style, because the cuteness itself is necessary to give the right tone.

But likewise, if you are having an ultra-realistic story, and want people to truly feel the reality, it helps hugely to have realistic renders.

So, my advice is first understand what impact the different art styles have, and then ensure the fit the game experience you want to create. If you are limited in art options, then tailor the entire game and story to be something that is enhanced by that art style, rather than limited by it.
Well said. I'm starting to understand that. I'm hoping that people will still care enough about the characters, to be engaged by the story. Even tho it's anime style. But that shouldn't be a problem, judging by my past experience, playing some games here.

Dec 3, 2019
I myself also in the process of making a game. I chose HS because of my hardware and it's fitting my story nicely, or should I say that I adapted my story to HS. Anyways, HS provides a lot of possibilites and iabsolutely free. And I would not agree that you can't create a western like character in HS.
Here is some of my characters in random clothes, poses and environment
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

crimsoncriss

Feb 4, 2018
I myself also in the process of making a game. I chose HS because of my hardware and it's fitting my story nicely, or should I say that I adapted my story to HS. Anyways, HS provides a lot of possibilites and iabsolutely free. And I would not agree that you can't create a western like character in HS.
Here is some of my characters in random clothes, poses and environment
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
These two, remind me of bully and gta 4. But I agree. You can get good results with HS to.