VN Ren'Py New Ren`py VN - Fooled By the Midnight

PrettyPurr

Jul 8, 2018
BEFORE YOU BEGIN READING: Sorry for my english, if there are any mistakes in the text.

Hello there, I`m new to the game development. After playing such adult games decent amount of time, I decided to start my own project, somewhat similar to real-life-based games (inspiration came from Harem Highschool, Harem Hotel, Big Brother, Complex Society and others). Name of the game can vary depending on the plot.
I have chosen the Koikatu / Koikatsu CharaStudio style to make locations and characters with.

At the moment, I`ve almost finished with the locations and interface, but plot is what stops me from further progress. I just cant decide what to begin with, what will the public be interested with. It is not cool to just copy-paste the idea from someones project, so it`s even harder to make something somewhat logical (not fantasy) and at least a bit original.

So i`m planning the story to be happening around school-univercity time, with male MC, with no male-male bounds.
Locations:
- School/univ.
-Dormitary/condo
-House for: MC, 2 roommates (planning them to be family, maybe i will even add incest route), and with one guest room (females in general, who needs males :т)
-Mall
-Beach
-Hospital
Characters ready:
-MC
-Roommate (Black hair, decent body, 19 y.o. , with playful (maybe even flirty) and friendly character)
-MC`s friend (can be used in some events, but not so much)
Others will be created (not downloaded) depending on the plot.

If you have any suggestions, i`ll be glad to hear them. Thank you for your help in advance!
P.S. If you can only give your advice in russian (my native is ukrainian) - its okay, don`t let it stop you.

BruceLee73

Apr 22, 2018
Sooo... you are ready to do the hard stuff, by making the visuals, but you lack a story and look for someone to give/write you some? Am I getting that right?

and what do you mean by "no male-male bounds"?

As for where to start... this shall be YOUR game. listen to what your guts say and start with the first thing you find interesting yourself. Especially in the beginning you should stick to the stuff you fancy yourself, otherwise you might lose interest in the whole project quite soon.
Normally the first thing is to introduce the main character. What does he look like, what does he do all day, whats his character and where is he coming from?

Last edited:

PrettyPurr

Jul 8, 2018
Sooo... you are ready to do the hard stuff, by making the visuals, but you lack a story and look for someone to give/write you some? Am I getting that right?
Yeah.
and what do you mean by "no male-male bounds"?
No male-male sex, only close, manly, epic friendship xD.

As for where to start... this shall be YOUR game. listen to what your guts say and start with the first thing you find interesting yourself. Especially in the beginning you should stick to the stuff you fancy yourself, otherwise you might lose interest in the whole project quite soon.
Normally the first thing is to introduce the main character. What does he look like, what does he do all day, whats his character and where is he coming from?
Hmm... This makes sense, thanks. I`ll try it out.

BruceLee73

Apr 22, 2018
Yeah.

No male-male sex, only close, manly, epic friendship xD.

Hmm... This makes sense, thanks. I`ll try it out.
Okay. So do you already have an idea of what kind of story this should be? I mean, is it a crime story, is it pure girls-hunt, is it fantasy or mysterious, how humorous/serious should it be, the atmosphere of the game makes a huge difference.
Where and when does the whole thing happen? Is it in the US or in Europe (or Asia/Japan)
and basically where do you want the story to end? do you want multiple endings possible or should it all come down to the same finale?
You need to find out for yourself what kind of framework your story should have. and then share it here - that makes it easier for anyone to give you something you can work with. otherwise there might come suggestions which wont fit your imagination/art.

You want to show real best friends. Thats nice and new here.
But what kind of friendship and game style is it then?
Are they always gonna be best friends? Do they start as such or do they become best friends? Are they having arguments/conflicts in between or will they only face exterior challenges? Do they really know everything about one another?
Are they very much the same or are they more like complementary characters?

Like, one of these two might be a guy who is already very good in making money (but with rather unordinary buisness-models), and not only very talented but also (overly) focused on that. And maybe the other guy thinks his friend is like that because he lacks money, but gets confused as he gives the earned money away freely. And later finds out he just loves making money, but comes from a rich family so he desnt really need the money, just the self-worth which comes with the success.
While the other guy doesnt have that kind of background, he struggles with money.
Maybe he is jealous, or wants to learn, or he even takes advantage of his friends talent. or maybe he doesnt really care at all...

possibilities are endless. and while thats basically very good, its also hard to find a good start.

So sketch what you want from your story and characters -and what you dont want. Then come back and let us know ;)

PrettyPurr

Jul 8, 2018
You want to show real best friends. Thats nice and new here.
But what kind of friendship and game style is it then?
Are they always gonna be best friends? Do they start as such or do they become best friends? Are they having arguments/conflicts in between or will they only face exterior challenges? Do they really know everything about one another?
Are they very much the same or are they more like complementary characters?

Like, one of these two might be a guy who is already very good in making money (but with rather unordinary buisness-models), and not only very talented but also (overly) focused on that. And maybe the other guy thinks his friend is like that because he lacks money, but gets confused as he gives the earned money away freely. And later finds out he just loves making money, but comes from a rich family so he desnt really need the money, just the self-worth which comes with the success.
While the other guy doesnt have that kind of background, he struggles with money.
Maybe he is jealous, or wants to learn, or he even takes advantage of his friends talent. or maybe he doesnt really care at all...
I`m glad you liked this part!

I didn`t plan involving greed or something like that, but this idea with "charity" is interesting. It possibly can become a good feature for one of them.

I`m planning to make them both with the same characters, but with interesting distinctions, so that they could rely on each other in different situations (you already gave me an idea for a huge and long event :D).
Speaking about skills - both will have different set, like one is good in studies and sports, but lacks social skills, and other compensates and complements these "omissions". This how i see their friendship.

So sketch what you want from your story and characters -and what you dont want. Then come back and let us know ;)
So i`ve already discussed it with another person, and we had come to conclusion this game will start off with some girl inviting MC to the university welcoming party (by students, for students). I already have a plan about how to set the whole event, and how to introduce every (at least for the demo) char before it, and after reading your post, i`ve came up with the idea what problem could be introdused to develop the plot.

Also, yes, it will be mostly girl-hunt, but I wohn`t make it synonymous with phrase "meet and f*ck". There will be some decent stories... At least with couple of them :unsure:

Reactions: BruceLee73