New feature: Latest games/updates page

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
I've created a page which has a visual overview of the latest games and updates, this is an alternative to the statistics panel at the bottom of the main forum view.

Here it is:

There is a potential issue where if an image fails to load then the page won't correctly render, I'll be adding a proper timeout function to prevent this in future. Let me know your thoughts, and if you have any suggestions.

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
That is actually quite a nice idea, so I can have this page open, no need to always switch back down to the panel. I like it already. :)
  • If you could provide a 'list view' (maybe with minimized thumbnail, or without) more entries would fit in, ppl could change to this view if they wanted.
  • Also if one hovers the mouse over an entry using list view, after a delay the first post or title image is shown, so ppl identify the entry easily and hopefully remember about the thread.
  • Lastly, and this would be very nice goodie to have, a possibility to 'block' / avoid entries shown to users, much like some chans have it at their catalogue overview pages (thinking of double 4ch here). So one could 'delete' entries, and they will not be shown anymore.
All I could think of atm. Ty Sam.

Reactions: Krull

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
That is actually quite a nice idea, so I can have this page open, no need to always switch back down to the panel. I like it already. :)
  • If you could provide a 'list view' (maybe with minimized thumbnail, or without) more entries would fit in, ppl could change to this view if they wanted.
  • Also if one hovers the mouse over an entry using list view, after a delay the first post or title image is shown, so ppl identify the entry easily and hopefully remember about the thread.
  • Lastly, and this would be very nice goodie to have, a possibility to 'block' / avoid entries shown to users, much like some chans have it at their catalogue overview pages (thinking of double 4ch here). So one could 'delete' entries, and they will not be shown anymore.
All I could think of atm. Ty Sam.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably just keep it as an image view, as the original panel at the bottom has the list style covered. I can definitely add the hide feature though, I'll look into that and possibly add it if people would like to see that :)

Reactions: Krull and Cirro84

jande21

I AM THE LAW
Respected User
Former Staff
Oct 19, 2016
I like it, adding images will it make much easier to follow the games I prefer or to avoid certain others.

ilozq

Jul 26, 2017
i think this is adressing a really big problem since people are tend to follow the games they know about/played but in the end they were missing out on so many potential great games. thanks for this.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Nice!

Will there be a link to this Latest games/updates page from the main site header? The only link to this page so far that I'm seeing is in this thread, but I may be missing something...

Reactions: Patan and Cirro84

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
... I'll probably just keep it as an image view, as the original panel at the bottom has the list style covered. I can definitely add the hide feature though, ...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Again, some feedback:
  • If you could add tags (i.e. for engines) to the description, as with the panel lists, it'd become even more usable. If I'm looking for specific games this helps a lot.
  • I had the impression, by scrolling down it goes 'swoosh, here ya go', loads of pics / entries pop up all together. Maybe set a quantity, like 'load every 10 entries together'? Think of the usual .gif pages, constant freezing until all is finally displayed.
  • Whit entries loaded and displayed it's fine, bc they stay that way. But if in future you might plan sth like an overview with 'load continuously' effect for any reason, perhaps it'd become tiresome to pick entries bc of that background activity. Just saying.
Anyway, good job. To me an improvement for quality time I do enjoy here, also thanks to your constant work. :test:

Naphala

Feb 28, 2017
I've created a page which has a visual overview of the latest games and updates, this is an alternative to the statistics panel at the bottom of the main forum view.

Here it is:

There is a potential issue where if an image fails to load then the page won't correctly render, I'll be adding a proper timeout function to prevent this in future. Let me know your thoughts, and if you have any suggestions.
where u been till now :p great work
can suggest to have this sticky...in the first main page ?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I'm thinking here would be a good spot, since this is in a different format from the usual forum layout:

latestgamesplacementsuggestion.jpg

There might be more succinct wording, but personally I'm good with the title picked by our hard working staff member. You wouldn't want the link text to be too long...

You could add some 'hover text' that better explains where this link goes, so as to differentiate it from the 'Games' forum section.

Jun 5, 2017

Here it is:

nice job.. Thumbs Up.jpg

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Again, some feedback:
  • If you could add tags (i.e. for engines) to the description, as with the panel lists, it'd become even more usable. If I'm looking for specific games this helps a lot.
  • I had the impression, by scrolling down it goes 'swoosh, here ya go', loads of pics / entries pop up all together. Maybe set a quantity, like 'load every 10 entries together'? Think of the usual .gif pages, constant freezing until all is finally displayed.
  • Whit entries loaded and displayed it's fine, bc they stay that way. But if in future you might plan sth like an overview with 'load continuously' effect for any reason, perhaps it'd become tiresome to pick entries bc of that background activity. Just saying.
Anyway, good job. To me an improvement for quality time I do enjoy here, also thanks to your constant work. :test:
Hmm I might make a list version, it would be good to have more detail. I was originally intending to display the prefixes and tags too, but couldn't come up with a design which didn't look very messy and cluttered. Although that would be possible on a list view where there is much more room available.

All the images on the page should load within about 5-6 seconds, but it will display no matter what after 3, render the grid, then rerender once all of them have finished, to make it look like the page loaded faster than it did. Once all the images are cached in the browser, subsequent page loads should be near instant.

Currently it displays around 100 games (latest 50 new games, and latest 50 updates) and this ends up going back by ~1 week or so. I could add pagination/lazy load/infinite load to reduce the initial load time, but probably would still limit it to a total of 100 as I doubt there is much need to go back more than 1 week in time.

I'm thinking here would be a good spot, since this is in a different format from the usual forum layout:

There might be more succinct wording, but personally I'm good with the title picked by our hard working staff member. You wouldn't want the link text to be too long...

You could add some 'hover text' that better explains where this link goes, so as to differentiate it from the 'Games' forum section.
Hmm yeah I'm not sure if it should go in the header, or to put it as a subforum link under the Games forum.

Reactions: Cirro84

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Looks good, Sam. Well done.
I want to build on previous suggestions: Have a popup display prefixes, full title, and tags when pointer hovers over an image with a 1-2 second delay.

Reactions: Cirro84

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Looks good, it may just be my screen resolution 1680x1050 and using the flat awesome + dark 100% width, but once you scroll to around day 4 and day 5 area, they all start to overlap each other.

sigrix

Mar 22, 2018
Some games dont even appear over here, why is that? For now I've made myself a complete bookmark with all my downloaded games to check it out from time to time.

Great work btw, I really appreciate your effort!!