Need some advice choosing a stack

Regretter

Jun 24, 2017
Hi people, hope you're having a good day or night.

I'm thinking about getting started on developing games, but here's the deal, I know programming, but idk any modeling, so I was thinking about starting with Honey Select 2, now it got me thinking, is Honey Select 2 + Ren'Py the best stack I can go for? or are there other options I can try?

Reactions: KaeruVN

KaeruVN

Game Developer
Feb 9, 2024
Depends on the style you want to go for. If you're thinking about doing an anime style, go for Koikatsu. But in general, anything produced by Illusion is pretty great for modelling, especially if you are in the NSFW market.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Regretter

Regretter

Jun 24, 2017
Depends on the style you want to go for. If you're thinking about doing an anime style, go for Koikatsu. But in general, anything produced by Illusion is pretty great for modelling, especially if you are in the NSFW market.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'm quite inspired by iNSight of you, I'm aiming for something like that, so I guess anime-ish style fits, I prefer a bit more realism than Koikatu so I prefer HS, although idealistically speaking I love 2D CG games more, but I am no artist, so I think I'm gonna start with what I can do for now

Also thanks, both for the response and the compliment <3

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Modded HS2 for graphics, PSD or Krita for Post-work, AE or DaVinci for video editing, RenPy for scripting/game engine.

That's probably the easiest to get into tech-stack. Going the Adobe (PSD/AE) route costs cash, so it's a tradeoff. Krita's better than GIMP, but neither are up to PSD yet; DaVinci Resolve's free, and better at some things than AE, but not as good on VFX.

Keep in mind that HS2 does not allow you to access the largest market (Steam specifically), as it's considered a copyright violation.

While it's tempting as a programmer to reach for UE or Unity, don't unless you have gameplay you absolutely need which you can't achieve in RenPy.

Regretter

Jun 24, 2017
Modded HS2 for graphics, PSD or Krita for Post-work, AE or DaVinci for video editing, RenPy for scripting/game engine.

That's probably the easiest to get into tech-stack. Going the Adobe (PSD/AE) route costs cash, so it's a tradeoff. Krita's better than GIMP, but neither are up to PSD yet; DaVinci Resolve's free, and better at some things than AE, but not as good on VFX.

Keep in mind that HS2 does not allow you to access the largest market (Steam specifically), as it's considered a copyright violation.

While it's tempting as a programmer to reach for UE or Unity, don't unless you have gameplay you absolutely need which you can't achieve in RenPy.
Thanks this is pretty useful info.
I didn't know that copyright thing about HS, but I think it won't be a problem for the first thing I'm gonna try anyway, I think I'm going to approach this small, and see what's what first, and then maybe after one or two tries make the game that I'd really invest in.

Thanks again!