• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

need help with adding movies to Renpy

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
I need to see a line of code example. I've recorded a video and turn it into "webm" version. I don't know in what location (folder) to put it in and how to type the code in order for the video to play. I need an example that I can just copy paste into a new Renpy game to see how it works and learn to do it myself later by reading more about it.

thanks in advance!

edit: I think I've figured it out, but I don't know how to add subtitles while a video is playing. right now the video just plays between dialogue, I don't know how to show that video with a dialogue I wrote. what I mean is that I want to make a couple of movies one after another with dialogue in them.

Last edited:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
first you do this

Code:
image yumi_sex_01 movie = Movie(play="videos/yumi_sex_01.webm", start_image="images/other/ysex1.png", image="images/other/ysex2.png", loop=True)
then you do this

Code:
label Start:
     show yumi_sex_01 movie
     david "Hello there, how are you doing"
more info here

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
first you do this

Code:
image yumi_sex_01 movie = Movie(play="videos/yumi_sex_01.webm", start_image="images/other/ysex1.png", image="images/other/ysex2.png", loop=True)
then you do this

Code:
label Start:
     show yumi_sex_01 movie
     david "Hello there, how are you doing"
more info here
I don't what you gave me but it doesn't work. is there a video link you can give me? I learn faster by watching.

for example I put this:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("nice.webm")

and the video plays in between Dialogue, I just don't know how to add text to show while these movies are playing.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
you do it this you don't need to put the size in if the video is the same size as the game is setup as

Code:
image nice_webm = Movie(play="videos/nice.webm", loop=True)
or

Code:
image nice webm = Movie(play="videos/nice.webm", loop=True)
then you show it this way

Code:
show nice_webm
        pause
        a "Hey."
or this way

Code:
show nice webm
        pause
        a "Hey."

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
you do it this you don't need to put the size in if the video is the same size as the game is setup as

Code:
image nice_webm = Movie(play="videos/nice.webm", loop=True)
or

Code:
image nice webm = Movie(play="videos/nice.webm", loop=True)
then you show it this way

Code:
show nice_webm
        pause
        a "Hey."
or this way

Code:
show nice webm
        pause
        a "Hey."
not working, can you as an example create a new game project, write the code as it should be and then show me the entire picture? alongside a character saying a dialogue while the video is playing. so I can just copy paste and then launch project to see that it is working and then I will understand what is going on.

thanks in advance, I know I'm kinda annoying here.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
1. create a folder inside of the game folder and call it video.
2. put the video that you have put it inside that folder video.
3. put the test.rpy into the game folder.
4. open script.rpy under label start and type in jump nice and save .
5. run renpy and select the game that you are working on and launch.

Reactions: blackmasha

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
image AddNameHere = Movie(play="YourVideoFolder/YourVideoName")
show AddNameHere
"Add text here."

there's no need for loop=True, the video loops by default

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
I had an error until I switched "label nice" with "label start"

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
image AddNameHere = Movie(play="YourVideoFolder/YourVideoName")
show AddNameHere
"Add text here."

there's no need for loop=True, the video loops by default
my videos in renpy are very low quality. I changed sims 4 recorded videos to higher quality. is it because I convert the videos to webm before putting them in renpy? can you suggest a better format to get the same high quality I get in the game?

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
my videos in renpy are very low quality. I changed sims 4 recorded videos to higher quality. is it because I convert the videos to webm before putting them in renpy? can you suggest a better format to get the same high quality I get in the game?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
it's has nothing to do with renpy it's how you have converted them. I suggest that you use a video editor not a convertor
use something like

Movavi Video Editor
VSDC Free Video Editor
OpenShot Video editor

and make sure you have all video codex updated and make sure your computer is fully updated

M$hot

May 28, 2017
I personally use VSO Video Converter because they allow you to effectively re-encode lossless, or if you think it's better to save space you can encode at like 80% quality. You can also delete the audio track. And I think they even allow you to hardcode subs into it, though I have not tested this. I personally transfer stuff to 720p WebM 100% and it comes out pretty good. Judge for yourself.

As I don't use RenPy I can't help you with the rest of your code. The original source was a 720p .MP4 btw, so it's not like I upscaled a 480p vid.
Obviously, this program is only a converter, it allows basically nothing else. For editing I use Premiere, then when I'm satisfied with the edit I export and THEN use VSO to convert it. Want to make it clear, this is just showing you a re-encoded MP4 to WEBM done via VSO, nothing more.

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
I personally use VSO Video Converter because they allow you to effectively re-encode lossless, or if you think it's better to save space you can encode at like 80% quality. You can also delete the audio track. And I think they even allow you to hardcode subs into it, though I have not tested this. I personally transfer stuff to 720p WebM 100% and it comes out pretty good. Judge for yourself.

As I don't use RenPy I can't help you with the rest of your code. The original source was a 720p .MP4 btw, so it's not like I upscaled a 480p vid.
Obviously, this program is only a converter, it allows basically nothing else. For editing I use Premiere, then when I'm satisfied with the edit I export and THEN use VSO to convert it. Want to make it clear, this is just showing you a re-encoded MP4 to WEBM done via VSO, nothing more.
can you link me the program you are using, also the name of the video example you gave me, these girls look super pretty.

blackmasha

Jun 21, 2018
it's has nothing to do with renpy it's how you have converted them. I suggest that you use a video editor not a convertor
use something like

Movavi Video Editor
VSDC Free Video Editor
OpenShot Video editor

and make sure you have all video codex updated and make sure your computer is fully updated
these programs will turn the videos into webm or a different video? mm.. well I will try and find cracked versions unless what you suggested here are free editors.

also, aren't what they do is the same? if I want to transfer a video into webm, what will an editor do differently than a converter?

thanks btw, I really appropriate you helping me out these last few days. do you think the problem is that I'm using webm?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
these programs will turn the videos into webm or a different video? mm.. well I will try and find cracked versions unless what you suggested here are free editors.

also, aren't what they do is the same? if I want to transfer a video into webm, what will an editor do differently than a converter?

thanks btw, I really appropriate you helping me out these last few days. do you think the problem is that I'm using webm?
all those video editor will make webm and the problem is how you make the video's and what your computer can handle and what codex that you are using and what program are you using to record the sims