Need help with a model. Daz issue with the .dae version, made in sketchup.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hey Y'all!

So, I'm trying to work with this model:

The .dae/collada version imports into Daz mostly fine, except that the feet/tentacles/legs aren't visible. The instances are there, but the 'master' for those instances, well I'm not finding it. Nothing is set to opacity 0 as far as I can tell.

There's a LOT of instances incorporated into the .dae, so I've spent the last couple of hours trying to track down the 'parent' for the many many legs... no luck.

For now, I've done an .obj convert so that I could add the legs, but of course the feet won't be posable. The .dae groups allow a bit of posing, but if the feet are invisible...

Just wondering if anyone here that might have Sketchup Pro that also works with Daz that doesn't mind helping out, that could maybe take a look at the model, and maybe re-export to .dae with the feet intact?

It's for a fanart thing...

BTW, this is where I'm at currently with the model, using a separate .obj for the legs.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
If I was you, I try import blender first. And correct issues there.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
If I was you, I try import blender first. And correct issues there.
I'm looking for someone here that owns/has Sketchup Pro, that can open the file natively (say the Sketchup 2018 file from the site I linked) and re-save it as a .dae to see if will 'fix' the issue.

I've already tried opening it a few different programs - it hasn't went well. Daz Studio gets the closest, except for the missing/hidden legs. Poser explodes the model. The pieces are all showing, but they end up scattered in a bunch of different directions.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I know this isn't what you want to hear but you should try to move away from sketch up pro.

I'm a modo baby myself, others swear by blender due to its open source nature. May and 3ds max are good but they're really heavy programs imo.

Also since you're talking about organic models you probably want to consider something that can sculpt like zbrush. That way you can get some really nice renders then retopo in something more comfortable.

Maybe my input is helpful? Maybe not? Either way, hope you find the droids you're looking for in the end :p
I'm not the one that did the model (note that it's available on the site I linked). I'm just trying to get a 'fully functional' .dae Collada version of it for Daz.

Still looking for someone that has a few minutes to try to open up the .skp file (preferably the latest/2018 .skp version) and re-save it as a .dae to see if it will 'fix' the issue I'm having with the current .dae file version.

As for downloading a pirated version of a full version of Sketchup, yeah I won't be doing that. Hence my request here for help, to see if anyone is willing to step up.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I've already done an obj conversion (using an online convert), but this 'freezes' the model, so you end up losing the ability to pose the body segments. The .dae preserves the 'model tree' so you can pose the body segment groups, feet, etc. individually if you want.

The pic I shared above uses the .dae file (which isn't showing the feet), with the feet added via an obj that I stuck underneath the .dae model. It works, but I can't pose the feet or body segments (for the feet, I can still pose the shell using the .dae version) due to the 'unified' .obj

Anyways, no immediate hurry, but if you get a chance at some point to attempt a resave of the .skp 2018 version as a .dae, I'd be most appreciative!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I don't have a computer until late September but there are some great tutorials on rigging free on YouTube. Maybe it might be worth learning the basics at least because from what you're saying you don't have to animate the rig, just pose it.

You said you use daz? Just Google rigging in daz.

You could probably learn the basics in the application of your choice and have the model pose ready in a matter of hours

Anyway, good luck!
I misunderstood what you said earlier. I was mistakenly under the impression that you had the full version of sketchup.

My bad. Thanks for the suggestions. This model has literally dozens of legs and hundreds of joint nodes... so it'd just be better to take a crack at resaving the .dae than trying to re-rig everything...

Hopefully someone else here with a full version of sketchup can help me out.