• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Daz Need help understanding the common workflow of a Renp'y based Visual Novel.

Kvitravn Dev

Making Memories / Further Education
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020
So I've decided to make a VN of my own, and I think I've got the basic gist of what's going to happen, yet I can't help think if I am wasting my time/doing something wrong.
For now, I've created versions of MCs in DAZ,
- Office clothes
- Casual Home Clothes
- Casual Home Clothes Flacccid
- Casual Home Clothes Erect
- going outside clothes
- Naked Flaccid
- Naked Erect
Am I doing something wrong/Can be done more efficiently or am I on the right path ?
Also just basic tips on going about with a traditional VN would be much appreciated.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
You are on right path, HOWEVER you will later just loose sight of all the versions of characters you have.
For each model , specially MC make 2 base models. One with dick and one without. Done.
Clothing you apply as per scene or if you want your MC and other models to have same clothes on in every scene then you dress your base model.

For MC home create this with as much as you can and save it as base once again. You dont want to have all of this in each scene as it will take up rendering time even not in a camera frame so scale it down once you busy doing a scene for instance in MC's room.

Story.. write it out completely. Then each episode make a points list. My episodes must have more than 10 points of things that need to happen.
Very important read and re read each episode points over and over to make sure it all flows etc..

Lastly if you dont enjoy making a game then youll probably end up hating it so make sure its something you have time to do and want to do for fun.
AND be ready for "opinions"...

Reactions: Kvitravn Dev

Kvitravn Dev

Making Memories / Further Education
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020
or each model , specially MC make 2 base models. One with dick and one without. Done.
Clothing you apply as per scene or if you want your MC and other models to have same clothes on in every scene then you dress your base model.
I took your advice and Made Naked + Home + Dick into one, so now I just have
- Office Clothes
- Casual Home
- Casual Home w/ Dick which again is
> Naked w/Dick
- Going Out clothes

For MC home create this with as much as you can and save it as base once again. You dont want to have all of this in each scene as it will take up rendering time even not in a camera frame so scale it down once you busy doing a scene for instance in MC's room.
I didn't quite understood this, but yes, thanks in advanced and Thanks for making my workflow more efficient.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
MY babbling part, that you didn't follow was this basically. For places you will use a lot in the game, eg. MC house or college etc... create a base scene with all the rooms / assets in that you will use. Then when you use only a room in that scene eg.. College delete all other assets / rooms that you not going to use in that scene. So if MC goes to class in college you only showing off the class then only have that asset in the scene and not say the college toilet somewhere else.

You feel me dawg?

• Red Heart

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
For me each character has their own folder.

Women at least have the following in their folder:
  • Base (the basic morph including hair, genitals, tattoos, piercings etc)
  • Daily Base (The base with daily make-up and usually jewellery)
  • Daily Clothed (The daily base but now with their clothes on)
The list of clothing options grows when I need a different set of clothes for a character on a per need basis.

For men the daily base is usually skipped as they don't wear makeup.
For men I always duplicate the genitals on the base character (after applying the materials) so I can have both a flacid and erect morph.
I always leave all morphs/genitals on the character even when clothed by the way. You never know when you need them and only delete the genitals if they are not needed in the final scene.

Now all my characters will have only one set of type clothes (e.g. evening wear, daily wear, PJ's, work clothes etc) but that is because I have an insane amount of characters. Not recommended to follow in my footsteps btw. Do as I say not as I do and all that.

For my scenes I have scenes that are multiroom (e.g. a nightclub, the dorm, a house where a job is etc.) and scenes that are singleroomed (a cultural centre, a lockerroom, a gym etc.) It depends on needs and lore mostly (The cultural centre is much larger than the rooms made while the dorm is a small set location).

The downside to having large multiroom sets is that IRay doesn't play nice with multiple rooms and you need to load a lot of fluf you don't need each time you load a scene. So my render ready scenes (with posed characters etc) usually have a lot of unneeded stuff deleted.

• Red Heart