Need help after rendering

RathAnur

Jul 1, 2018
Hey Guys,

since I played DMD and Melody I wanted to create 3D Models and gave it a try.
So i got DAZ, different assests, read some tutorials and just started and finished my first render.
Sadly it looks just, well bad and I really have no idea where i went wrong.
I didnt change any settings for the rendering so everything is still on default.
Can anyone tell me why the picture looks so grainy?

Cara undressed 2.jpg

Lorric17

May 25, 2017
I've also dabbled a little with Daz, so I'm no expert at all. But I saw somewhere that if you render it larger (such as double in both dimensions), then resize it down, the result it much better. You can also blur it before downsizing the image. You can also do 4x in each dimension. It costs a lot of extra render time, but it should be possible to end the render sooner and still get a good result after blur+downsize.

The real reason has to do with lighting, and I have no tips there. Hopefully someone else will come along with tips for you.

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
I've been fiddling with Daz for the last 2 months or so, hoping to create and release a game once I feel confident enough in my abilities to do so. So I'm still VERY much a rookie myself, but Daz can be easier than it looks after playing with it for a while.

What I can tell you from my experience thus far is that grain can be the result of a number of things, from the lighting to your render settings, and I'm sure there's more. In terms of lighting, darker renders for me at least, always have a little bit of grain to it. Such as darker patches where light isn't that prevalent.

In terms of render settings, you'd have to adjust it to decrease the grain count. In the render settings tab under progressive settings, you can dial up the rendering converged ratio up to 98% (You won't need to go any higher) and set the Rendering Quality to 3 or 4 or even 5. Drawback of the Rendering Quality option is that the render will take longer to produce.

In which case you can turn that off by clicking the option right above it called "Rendering Quality Enable" And dial the Max samples up to 1500, and see if that works for your render, in which case the render will finish relatively fast, especially if it's basic. A good graphics card can really determine the speed as well. I have a GTX 1080Ti, but a second one wouldn't hurt, which is what I'm working towards right now.

As a matter of fact, let me screenshot the settings I work with.

RenderSettings 1.jpg
In this picture, you notice that I have my max samples up at 3000. This is because the renders I was working on recently was more detailed. And even then, some grain is visible where the light doesn't hit.
MichelleCoverArt.jpg ShaniCoverArt3.jpg
For now, this is the main thing that helped me get higher quality pictures. If I have any more tips, I'll tell you about them, or you'd just like to know anything else, don't be afraid to ask.

Reactions: Engelstein

RathAnur

Jul 1, 2018
Thank you guys for the reply.
I've not been fiddeling with lighting at all.
Just loaded an environment and hoped for the best.
My rendering converged ratio is set to 95. Will increase it now.
An the render quality is set to 1 like yours.
Maybe an increase wont hurt here as well.
Will see how it does then.
For now thank you guys. :)

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Another cheap trick is to render 2x the size you intend the image to be. When scaling the image down, the graininess can get lost.