• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM My RPG Maker MV game has random freezes

klaba

May 25, 2017
Hi,

the game I'm currently working on (ExDe) freezes at random points during random events.
The freeze can happen anywhere between 5 min or up to 1 hour. It's hard to replicate the freeze.
When the game is frozen, it doesn't respond to any input and needs to be closed.

I think there might be a proclivity for it to happen when the game runs in the background and you're doing something else; this is high speculation.

I own RPG Maker MV on steam and assume that it runs on the latest version.

I suspect the problem to be a plugin.
Here is a full list (in order) of plugins I'm using right now:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community_Basic
YEP_MessageCore
YEP_CoreEngine
YEP_SaveCore
YEP_MainMenuManager

SRD_AltMenuScreen_Icons
SRD_Debug_SpeedUp

Hime_DisabledChoiceConditions
Hime_HiddenChoiceConditions
Hime_HMSHideMessageWindow
Hime_TimedChoiceSlecetion
SRCrazy_TimedBarDisplay

QPLus
QMovement
QM CollisionMap
QPathfind
QAudio

ChainCommand

MrTS_NoItemCategories

BO_CustomShops
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.png
2.png

Kind regards

JeFawk

Game Developer
Mar 8, 2023
Easiest way to debug such issues is unfortunately also very tiresome.
Either disable all the plugins and try to see if the problem replicates (your project will probably not work due to missing plugins) or slowly disable 1 by 1 until you pinpoint which plugin was at fault.

Does the game engine have logs somewhere which you might be able to read the errors it dumps?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
From personal experience, which is not much with RPGM, would look around Q plugins. If I remember correctly I had to discard them (mostly used for img based collisions) due to various bugs (not hard freeze per se tho).

pepette

Game Developer
Feb 20, 2018
I don't use MV, but on VXace it happens that the game freezes because of a memory overload.
If you have a lot of images in your game, the memory will quickly become full : RPGmaker does not empty the cache by itself. (I see that you have a Script to preload images and music which does not help)
I don't know if the syntax is the same on MV, but I use the Cache.clear function which I trigger at a point where the player often passes through my game. Since I've done this, I haven't had any freezes.
I hope this helps you

klaba

May 25, 2017
Easiest way to debug such issues is unfortunately also very tiresome.
Either disable all the plugins and try to see if the problem replicates (your project will probably not work due to missing plugins) or slowly disable 1 by 1 until you pinpoint which plugin was at fault.

Does the game engine have logs somewhere which you might be able to read the errors it dumps?
Yea, I was afraid to go down this road.

klaba

May 25, 2017
From personal experience, which is not much with RPGM, would look around Q plugins. If I remember correctly I had to discard them (mostly used for img based collisions) due to various bugs (not hard freeze per se tho).
I remember having issues with them too.
Might be a good starting point.

klaba

May 25, 2017
I don't use MV, but on VXace it happens that the game freezes because of a memory overload.
If you have a lot of images in your game, the memory will quickly become full : RPGmaker does not empty the cache by itself. (I see that you have a Script to preload images and music which does not help)
I don't know if the syntax is the same on MV, but I use the Cache.clear function which I trigger at a point where the player often passes through my game. Since I've done this, I haven't had any freezes.
I hope this helps you
Interesting point about the cache, might have to check that out.
The preloading plugins are all disabled, since they caused too many problems.
I'm not sure if they still somehow influence the game in an off state.

klaba

May 25, 2017
Sorry for the late replies. I thought I would automatically get notifications when anyone replies to my thread.