My "problems" with RPGM and "free-roaming" VNs

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
I've used RPG Maker to make text editors, interactive wikis, cookie clickers, 3D shooters, sidescrollers and a lot more... So, why didn't I use another engine?

To put it simple, an old dog can't learn new tricks.
I've used RPGM's RGSS for more than 7+ years now, and every time I try to learn another language I just can't. I dunno why but I can't lol, it's like explaining colors to a blind person. Maybe it's because I don't feel the need to switch to another engine.

Of course I don't know what may be the reasons of the other devs lol
Of course I do understand the appeal of not stepping out of one's comfort zone. I myself am totally guilty of that, since I mostly stick with C despite there being good reasons not to.
Nonetheless, first and foremost kudos for achieving that kind of stuff with RPGM, but I feel like you are wasting your talent by constraining yourself so much. I assume doing that required a whole lot of scripting, so you might as well use something more general purpose. Might be a hassle dealing with a new language and new engine calls, but after the initial investment you should be golden.
Besides, RGSS is Ruby, right? How can you stomach that?

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Of course I do understand the appeal of not stepping out of one's comfort zone. I myself am totally guilty of that, since I mostly stick with C despite there being good reasons not to.
Nonetheless, first and foremost kudos for achieving that kind of stuff with RPGM, but I feel like you are wasting your talent by constraining yourself so much. I assume doing that required a whole lot of scripting, so you might as well use something more general purpose. Might be a hassle dealing with a new language and new engine calls, but after the initial investment you should be golden.
Besides, RGSS is Ruby, right? How can you stomach that?
Well, it's not like I do the 100% of my scripts. I always end up using some RPGM default methods or things like that.
That's may be why it's hard for me to switch to another engine. I'm not really confident when it comes to coding from zero, without pre-made scripts to take references from.

And yeah, RGSS is Ruby. But I see Ruby as a pretty easy language, and that's why I kinda like it.

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018
My issue with sandbox type of games is that its very hard for small time devs to make a big enough dynamic world. What we get is some kind of groundhog day where people seemingly do and say the exact same thing at x location and time. Maybe that wouldn't be such a problem if the world was huge like Elder Scrolls/fallout/GTA, but thats obviously impossible for indie devs. Even if we ignore all the problems with getting stuck/grind/etc, there is always a limitation to the narrative flow. Who enjoys eating breakfast with the family every day and having the same convo that you tab through? What about helping with the same homework day after day? Giving a massage with the same reaction? Groping someone for the same scene over and over again? What these games boil down to is basically learn the girls' schedules and repeat the things until you built enough points to progress to their next tier, which you will then repeat again.

There are definitely some that stand out based on writing and robust enough game mechanics though (Dreaming of Dana, DeLuca, Takeover, High rise climb to name a few). But no matter how good and enjoyable those games are, repeated text and scenes are inevitable.

Thats why I think its extremely easier for an indie dev to make a good VN than it is to make a sandbox game that doesn't feel like a chore.

Jun 7, 2017
No, you misread that. Native speakers of most non-english languages can easily learn other natural languages. English is not natural, It was engineered. If English was your first language, it will be an impediment to learning other languages. Far easier for someone who speaks a natural language, to recognize the intentional errors, and awkwardness of modern english.
Nope, I read it correctly. I just disagree with your conclusion that English is a bad language.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Nope, I read it correctly. I just disagree with your conclusion that English is a bad language.
If English is your first language, it's difficult to get out of that trap. Not the end of the world, but it sucks.
Natural languages flow perfectly with the way the brain works. Thoughts can be expressed instantaneously. Notice how non-english speakers talk 90 miles per hour? You can't take thoughts directly to english, you have to rearrange the order of thoughts to put them to words, the way English is structured.

Use google translate and you'll see. spanish to german, no problem, back to spanish, perfect same for all natural languages
now throw english into that equation. you get fucking nonsense every time
If you think in English, you're dragging a ball and chain. It's a horrible thing to do to a child.

This is not an insult to english speakers, you didn't ask for this, you are victims.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Well I have had no problems myself with RPGM nad free roaming VN's, because I choose not to play them in the first place. I always find that choosing not play something I find tedious works for me.

Jun 7, 2017
If English is your first language, it's difficult to get out of that trap. Not the end of the world, but it sucks.
Natural languages flow perfectly with the way the brain works. Thoughts can be expressed instantaneously. Notice how non-english speakers talk 90 miles per hour? You can't take thoughts directly to english, you have to rearrange the order of thoughts to put them to words, the way English is structured.

Use google translate and you'll see. spanish to german, no problem, back to spanish, perfect same for all natural languages
now throw english into that equation. you get fucking nonsense every time
If you think in English, you're dragging a ball and chain. It's a horrible thing to do to a child.

This is not an insult to english speakers, you didn't ask for this, you are victims.
lol whatever dude. I didn't even bother reading your message. Even if you're right, you come across as very presumptuous. The way you speak leaves a sour feeling in my stomach, so maybe get off your high horse and stop responding to my messages yeah?