My game engine

tid

Aug 16, 2017
Hi there,

I'm working on a game engine, not sure if I will ever release a game with it. I just like to develop things.

At the beginning I was planning to make a game with an existing engine. But every time I'm frustrated : I would like to have this feature or I don't like this limitation. So I decided to create my own game engine, it's funnier.

At work (I develop heath domain software) I use Windev witch is an IDE that's great to do little applications because you can code really fast and it have it's own database system. So I decided to use it, even if it's not designed to make games.

so here is what I've done so far :
I can create 4 types of scenes
  • Places :
place.png
  • Dialog :
Dialog.png
  • Sex scene : a picture and a list of options (positions) and also 2 gauges : one for your endurance and one for the girl's pleasure (you have to choose the right positions if you want to make her climax) no screen now

• Elevator, it's a special place witch displays an animation when you change floor.

Characters :
I can dynamically create stats for the main character and the others characters, for each I can choose if it's visible on the stats panel.
I can set up a planning for each characters. I can set up interactions, what conditions they need to be available...
Character.png planning.png
I can also configure objects to interact with :
NPC.png

Lately I stopped working on it because I'm doing a program to help me maintain my games on my hard drive (too much games, I never where they are or what's the version I have, sometimes I even download a game that I already have but I didn't remember :p ).
But I think I'll go back to it soon.

If anyone is interested in this project progression I'll put updates on this thread.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Honestly, it looks quite interesting. And fresh. Definitely fresh.

I'd say keep updating.

Reactions: Thrownaway13

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
I'm not sure "fresh" is the word I'd use... to me, it seems like many of these Russian games I've seen - they might have appealing concepts / stories (well, a few of them does), but the game-style / interface is clunky and not at all something I would consider "2017".

The same goes for this. While I don't doubt the underlying functionality, the looks of it is a bit like Access meets Excel - in Office 2007. Ie, very dated looks. I know that that might just be "this is while we develop", but if that's the case, some concept art of a future UI and so on would probably help "sell" the concept.

I would probably not play something made in that - just because the interface is what it is.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
I would probably not play something made in that - just because the interface is what it is.
That's where you and I differ. I really like the interface @tid made. Compared to say, QSP, it is much cleaner, and [the engine] could most likely be favourable towards trainer games.

Reactions: Brasdf

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
That's where you and I differ. I really like the interface @tid made. Compared to say, QSP, it is much cleaner, and [the engine] could most likely be favourable towards trainer games.
Well... I still don't see it. It's not problematic to make something akin to this in say Renpy, where you can control multiple stats and so on. I just get a feeling here that the interface and such are more important than the graphics. And while I don't mind old-skool games (I grew in the days of early computer games), but I just don't like the barebones Windows-XP look :)

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Well... I still don't see it. It's not problematic to make something akin to this in say Renpy, where you can control multiple stats and so on. I just get a feeling here that the interface and such are more important than the graphics. And while I don't mind old-skool games (I grew in the days of early computer games), but I just don't like the barebones Windows-XP look :)
Ah, just preferences at the end of the day, I guess.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
hello guys, I haven't planned to add a skin feature to it but it could be interesting to code.

I fact I'm not even sure that I would release anything with it, usually I code things only to see if I'm able to do it. The exceptions are applications that will have a real use, for example my app to launch games I downloaded is almost fully functional, but that's only because I have a real interest in using it.

But you're right I'm very bad at UI here is another example of my bad skills :
2017-12-16 (1).png

But I think I will continue to work on my engine just to see if I can finish it. Maybe I will even try to use it to do a little game, just for the proof of concept.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
The exceptions are applications that will have a real use, for example my app to launch games I downloaded is almost fully functional, but that's only because I have a real interest in using it.

But you're right I'm very bad at UI here is another example of my bad skills :
View attachment 49513
Now, THAT I would be interested in :D

KashKa

Dec 20, 2016
I really like the look of this engine, it would be ideal for the game I'm trying to work on using QSP, which is an utter nightmare to get even basic character attributes to work correctly.
I would LOVE it if you could share even an early version of it.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
I really like the look of this engine, it would be ideal for the game I'm trying to work on using QSP, which is an utter nightmare to get even basic character attributes to work correctly.
I would LOVE it if you could share even an early version of it.
I'm on holiday's so I don't have access to my computer. Next week I'll give you the last version. But you must know that it's in early alpha : game mechanics are almost all here but editor's UI is really unfriendly. And as I'm not a native English speaker there must be a lot of typos.

KashKa

Dec 20, 2016
I'm on holiday's so I don't have access to my computer. Next week I'll give you the last version. But you must know that it's in early alpha : game mechanics are almost all here but editor's UI is really unfriendly. And as I'm not a native English speaker there must be a lot of typos.
That's fine, I'm quite used to broken english with QSP. I'm sure I'll figure it out, it'd just be fun to get ahold of it and see what the potential of this engine would be.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
More people should have this attitude.
Programming is like playing legos, the pleasure is to build your toy, once it's done there's almost no pleasure left ;).

So to get back to the engine, I'm back from holidays. I'm going to create a little manual and when it's done I'll upload a version here.

Reactions: KashKa

tid

Aug 16, 2017
Here is a little demo. It took me longer then I thought because I decided to rewrite all the editor part that was awful to use.

You just have to uncompress and launch player.exe to play and editor.exe to test the editor (password is demo).

There are a lot of things that are unfinished, or that I even haven't started.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
I'm working on the documentation so here is a link to it so I don't have to post a new version each time I update it (it is open for comments)

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
Hi there,
At work (I develop heath domain software) I use Windev witch is an IDE that's great to do little applications because you can code really fast and it have it's own database system. So I decided to use it, even if it's not designed to make games.
I really love Windev and did some nice works with it, personal and pro, but I never thought of using it for a game engine! Good job and nice promising pictures!
I'll have a look at your demo as soon as I'll find some time.

KashKa

Dec 20, 2016
Okay so it seems to have a few simple flaws, when adding a new girl, you can't seem to add her to the schedule planner, meaning that any changes you make in their, moves the first girl but nothing happens with the second. Also, adding interactions to new places doesn't work, like, just straight up pressing the "+" does nothing. However, I love that you have gif support, tho it seems to be a little bugged.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
I have fixed the schedule planner, it now works with more then one girl (or guy ;) )

For the interactions, it works fine but it's not clear that you have to add an interaction using "+" on top center on the window before you can add conditions and actions. I will try to make it more clear in the next release.

In the mega directory you will find 2 compressed files :
  1. tid quest w demo : it comes with demo files so it will overwrite your game if you copy it to your editor directory.
  2. tid quest alone : no data files it is safe to extract it to your game directory.
PS : I have no control on how gifs are displayed, I just load them to a picture field and windev does the rest. Maybe I will add a feature to make animations from a bunch of png files, I must test what it looks like.