Unity My first screen shots from Custom 3D Game. Please share your thoughts [updated]

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
This is Dolly, my experiment character. She needs more work. a genitalia, hair and clothes. :)

sc1.png sc2.png sc3.png sc4.png

Second try
sc2-1.png sc2-2.png

thank you for your feedback.

Reactions: VNorth

zabrodian

Mar 9, 2018
I'm curious, what kind of game is it gonna be? If it's Unity I imagine that the whole environment will be explorable.
I'm asking this because as of now everything looks unpolished and unfinished, specifically the environment, but it makes sense if it's a full interactive game since an high quality render in that kind of game requires a lot of work and skill.
If it's done with static renders, why not using software like DAZ that gives you tools to build beautiful environments and great presets to work with?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I am sorry but I have to be honest. The character and the scene's looks dead to me. It's not evoking emotion.
The Character has no shadow. Try lighitng up the area more. The renders look like 800x600 or lower quality 720p.
As @zabrodian said, try using DAZ assests.
If however that is the quality you want then you go for it. Still improve the lighting and put in shadows where needed.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
At least some one was interested my works. Thank you guys.

@zabrodian
My current rig cannot handle DAZ. Even if can I did not like the pre rendering outputs. Sure it was easy and very limited.

@MrKnobb
It was experiment character. Prepared in blender and exported to Unity. It needs huge amount of work. I already spending lots of time learning Blender, Unity and other stuff the make realistic humanoids. When I complete the character and satisfy its ability. (like hairs, clothes, poses, face expressions) it was much more easy to create another character look much more different and have same technical abilities.

The scene was what I got for best light setup. It was unrelated, just something was here and make screen more colorful.

It was screen shot from scene. it was 1400x900 or something. (It was an old monitor). I did not play after effects or anything.

And about the game.

My plan was creating a elastic VN / DateSim framework. Primary goal was re usability.

For example, you cannot re use your renders. However in real 3d environment, even same scene you can play camera angles from script and make difference even with same dialog with little effort you can make your game more interesting.

Unless I find a good reason to use free roaming in game. I did not want to add free roaming in my games. You need lots of animations and build huge environment for good experience. I was single indie developer wanna be and I do not have enough resources to generate lots of good environments. My plan was. Except sexual scenes keep it simple as possible.

My first plan was generate some series of small VN's (3 - 4 chars) which has some quality and get matured development style in Unity and c# (I'm hard core open source guy which had 30+ years of experiment) and setup good pipelines of creating chars, props environments.

Then develop, some medium sized, choice based, much less grinding vn's, dating sims and or management type games which has good enough mechanics to make game was fun.

My Humble Regards.

PS: I'm not afraid to be criticized, feel free to fire up. Thats why I create this topic, I need opinions.
PS2: Also English was not my native language and I did not take any offical training and thank you for understanding.

The Architect

Singing dancing crap of the world
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
Is it a manuel bastioni character? I'm also playing with them in Unity, but I'm concerned about the high poly count. There's a low poly version planned by them in some future release (God knows when). I also don't like the plain textures it generates.

Reactions: Cirro84

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Is it a manuel bastioni character? I'm also playing with them in Unity, but I'm concerned about the high poly count. There's a low poly version planned by them in some future release (God knows when). I also don't like the plain textures it generates.
Hello, I'm glad to see you in my topic.

Yes it is. Default one. I'm experimenting all available options. Make Human also suitable. And there was uma option.

However I found that Manuel was obsessed to perfection and you can create really different faces. In makehuman my faces look similar to each other. And you cannot get full rigged genitalia (yes there was lot of target proxies but none of them work). So I'm going with manuel bastioni (MB).

Yes his poly count was makes me worry and the game was not 3d exploration. And at low end pc can handle even with 3d first person mode so 4 chars per scene does not change anything.

Except genitalia (mb does not have and never get one). I'm content with MB for now. And It has proxymesh system for clothes which was necessity. Even your character good as DAZ under unity. In Plain 3d clothing characters was pain.

On blender MB has very good renders. However at Unity it does not look that good. However I believe all of those can cure by experience.

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
When you set up game mechanics, maybe add some story line, schedule, etc., get things going. Story should be catching attention of play-testers, the rest will follow. You can later recreate the models the way you need / think it should be.
Once seen a dev doing a 3D game demo with phantasy / mediaeval setting only using white blobs (don't ask me the title pls). Sadly the demo was unplayable because you couldn't manoever around and it was weird talking to a no-name 'white blob' looking same as the others. Thought it interesting at that time but sadly it was unbearable to test.
At least you got figures for your chars so you're way ahead. Just get things going first, there is still time for improvement. Also perhaps reduce assets not needed, like that ton of chairs 'n' stuff, to keep frame rates low. ;)

Guess it did creep the MH folks out too much that someone could actually use meshes w genitals, for reasons. So new ones were introduced with 'that area' basically cut out, Barbie style... There are still some older meshes / proxies? which show pee-pee and vag, plus skins. They worked with slightly older MH versions too.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Hey, thanks for reply.

Currently I'm on stage assets (home, couch, bed, vase etc). Also I had very weak rig for the job. So I have to have optimize things even for working on them.

House_Test.png

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
A weak 'workstation' or testing computer is actually no disadvantage I'd say. Some devs wonder why people have troubles to run their games, 8+ cores, 16+ gigs of RAM, M.2 SSDs and all the hot stuff aren't the normal components of standard computers out there (also goes for Apple ones, not every Macfag got the top-of-the-line model of last year).
If you can run the game demo on your toaster chances are other players can it too, with less troubles. It's Unity, players could run a well optimised game on laptops with integrated graphics (low deatails of course but still...).

Most important is, lots of players should be able to run your game, not too many objects being placed, eye candy you can add with highest graphics details. So people with less performant computers can still enjoy your game (just try to polish it and make it not look too bad). The rest can have all the nice extra effects which should not be essential for the game plus maybe create higher resolution textures (you could pack a high texture archive as a patch for those who like to use it).

You may also, please, consider Linux and OSX support. If you learn to code the game for these OSs you may do this later with ease I believe. Good for the next projects. We got members here who would beta-test such versions. :)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
;)

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Hey Thanks for reply.

Actually I had very weak work station. AMD A4 6400 APU. With dual core and dual monitor. And small ssd. Problem is I even had problems on designing scenes. When certain amount of object added to screen. FPS drop 18 and below. And thats what I'm fighting for more than 3 months.

Even with this optimizations. I'm not sure performance on older Intel onboard gfx computers. (Actually AMD APU GPU is much more power full than even very below end standalone gfx card).

Other than that I have high expectations for low end computer performance.

Other OS support depends on testing. I cannot support which I does not own. It actually about funding.

I had some in house tech demos. Lets say adding scenes it not a single problem. It was so easy to change add remove scenes.

However Adding game mechanics requires time.

So first games all VN or VN plus mini interactions. And I believe exploring and interacting environments does not fit well in adult genre.