VN Monthly or Project game updates

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
Yeah because what's the value in your time and effort. There's something to be said about making a game that is worth paying for, surely. But to imply that people who do put in their time and effort for your enjoyment shouldn't ask for funding is not only ignorant but arrogant and quite frankly deplorable. Seriously, with that kind of attitude you disgust me.
Calm down. I said there wasn't a problem with asking for money. It's just what you're offering in return that is the issue. I feel that it would be best to create a SMALL and complete project to start with. Get criticism on renders, writing, presentation style or whatever and then build your next project off of the experience you've gained in that first attempt. Rather than doing it step by step over a larger project.

If that's a disgusting opinion then so be it.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Calm down. I said there wasn't a problem with asking for money. It's just what you're offering in return that is the issue. I feel that it would be best to create a SMALL and complete project to start with. Get criticism on renders, writing, presentation style or whatever and then build your next project off of the experience you've gained in that first attempt. Rather than doing it step by step over a larger project.

If that's a disgusting opinion then so be it.
Yes, your opinion is that people should work for free until they prove to you that they're worthy. It is disgusting. You don't have to pay for their first game if you don't want to. But you shouldn't discourage people from asking for compensation from those who think it's worthy. Most of us are fully aware that without piracy we don't make any money. So we are comfortable with the fact that people are going to play our game for free. But we ask that those who would like us to continue this support us. That's not something that should be discouraged. We are providing a service. Who the hell are you to say that we shouldn't be compensated? You say make a small game to prove that we can. Do you realize the amount of time that goes into making even a small game? I only have 6 months worth of content planned for one of my titles, it's been in development on art for 3 months.

That's time spent before the release that I won't get back. And then to go in and work on 6 months worth of actual content that doesn't get any compensation either? Yeah, that's not a reasonable request. I'm doing what it takes to make the game good from the start. Yes if you want to be paid you should make something worth paying for. But you should never work for free we don't live in a society that can afford that.

D

Dr PinkCake

I'm having this problem too with deciding when to release updates, because I story-board everything beforehand and then render everything, and now I've found my Day 3 update is going to need about 250 renders, which is going to take an age.

I'd just say make the update long enough that you are happy with it, if you think it's a good update, release it, if you don't, keep working on it until you do :)
I'm the same. I feel that the story and quality should take precedence over the frequency of updates.