Ren'Py - Monster Girl Dreams [v26.b Alpha] [Threshold]

1. 3.00 star(s)

destroyerofassholes

The game is pretty great in its niche of a "battle fuck" type of game. Not much to say about that. Decent variety, decent enough characters.

My sole gripe is that the developer constantly burns out, does fuck all, and the game gets content drought for months at a time, sometimes a year, with some pity updates sprinkled in adding pretty much nothing.

The game is fast approaching its 5 year anniversary. It does not have anywhere near that amount of content.

I guess I'd do that too if I had people paying me for nothing in return for years on end.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for v24.1

Admittedly it took me a few tries to get into this game. I tried playing it a couple different times over the years and always found myself stopping rather quickly. I have never been that into sex combat, as I find it gets repetitive rather quickly. I also hate when it's the only form of sex scenes, as it's usually just generic lines that get repeated for any "act" you choose. Combined with me not being super into heavier femdom, I was ready to give this up for good. But after giving it one more good try, I have now seen the light so to speak.

Monster Girl Dreams is pretty much exactly as advertised. A monster girl themed pseudo dungeon crawler/RPG. After the current demon queen placed a continent wide spell preventing anyone from actually hurting each other, the only way to defeat monster girls is through sex: the "battle fuck" system. This should give you a good idea of the tone of the game. It isn't serious in the slightest, and leans more on the sillier side while also being about as lewd as you would expect from monster girls wanting to dominate you.

As far as sex combat goes, this is definitely one of the better takes I've seen. There's a wide enough variety of skills, equipment, and items to basically tailor your build to a playstyle you enjoy. You essentially target weakspots (breasts, ass, etc.) to make your opponent orgasm before you do. You can probably guess what happens if you're defeated. But if you win? Well, you can also probably guess what happens.

This is all fine if it sounds like your thing, but the true saving grace of this game for me is the unique interactions you get with the monster girls outside of combat. This is where the game went to 4 stars for me. Out on your adventures, you'll meet some named monster girls alongside the generic "slime girl" and such. You could consider them as love interests, as they have actual content and proper written out sex scenes. Get your own personal bag mimic girl, win over the trust of a sheep girl maid, prove your worth over your new found lizard wife, the list goes on. I'd argue that this is the real core of the game, as without it I wouldn't enjoy this nearly as much.

Perhaps the biggest drawback I could find was that this is indeed still an alpha. Some characters are a lot more lacking in content than others, and it sucks when a character you like is one of the ones lacking. There's also some jank with being an RPG made in Ren'py, but it's nothing super bothersome.

If you came to check this out because of monster girls, you are going to get what you came for. I don't think this is a game for everyone, but if the premise sounds enjoyable to you, I think you'll find this to be one of the better games in the genre.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Deleted member 5087009

I wasn't into monster girl games but i still tried it out and i don't have any regrets. It was a really good surprise and a good change compared to other vns.

Even if the story is as simple as it can get, the characters have all some personnality and the world building is interesting enough to get me curious. There's also a lot of content and something for everyone to enjoy, i didn't find many girls that were too monstrous for me (only 2 and both of them were random mobs) and found a way to fight thoose i didn't like differently.

Easy 5/5 !
  4. 1.00 star(s)

dontcarewhateverno

This is just so ridiculously boring. Walls and walls of text without any good writing to make it bearable. Drawings and interactions that are neither interesting nor erotic. I can't see much to like unless the player is very into anime and hasn't done much of any dating or interactions with real women. If it weren't for the fact that it's a lewdly drawn sex game & has a male MC, I'd just assume this was written and designed as a frilly game made for 12 year old girls, based on the attitude and writing. At least as far as the style and character depth are concerned. There's just no substance here and nothing that draws you in. It really baffles me what post-pubescent person would actually be into this.

Needless to say, the high ratings are an absolute mystery to me.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

DarkShockBro

I've played many erotic VNs and RPGs before, but I always seem to come back to this game, because it may just be my personal favorite and deserves a 5/5.

Before I begin; however, I have to recommend playing this game on Easy difficulty, because some parts of it will require grinding otherwise. The battle fuck RPG component of the game is fairly complex, especially for being in Ren'Py. Still, the way each individual part of the monster girl can be attacked makes for a unique RPG system that fits with the 'battle fuck' nature.

The story is pretty bare-bones, but it's coherent enough for you to create a workable plot: you're an adventurer, you travel to an island with lewd monster girls, you have to defeat the Demon Queen. This could be a problem in a game focused on a compelling story, but Monster Girl Dreams' focus is on the world-building and characters, which is good, because they're both the best parts of the game.

I really enjoy the world of Monster Girl Dreams. Because you play as an adventurer, you're the outsider, making the MC just as unfamiliar with the world as the player. A common literary trick, but when the world is interesting and is built up over time, it isn't a problem. Besides, just traversing a world filled with lewd monster girls is interesting in and of itself, and this is where we get to by far the best part of the game: the characters.

The characters are why this game gets a perfect score in my eyes. I can't find a single character I dislike: not even the un-named monster girls! They all have personality, presence, and really serve to get you invested in this new, lewd world the MC is adventuring in. In fact, the monster girls are so compelling that it makes you wonder if defeating the Demon Queen is truly the right answer. I'm definitely looking forward to see if there's a MGQ-style twist to take this game to an even more upper echelon, but in the meantime, I'll give MGD the 5/5 it deserves and move on.

To conclude; seriously, if you love monster girl games, this is an absolute must play. Just set it on Easy mode and enjoy getting attached to all the wonderful characters and fun world-building this game has to offer.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Rizir

Even though it's still unfinished, this game is already filled with A LOT of content and strong enough writing to make it stand out. If you enjoy RPGs, VNs, character building, characters with depth and last but not least erotica and sexy monster girls, this game is definitely worth checking out.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Big Bummer

Pretty good. Has some high replay value, considering I played through it multiple times. Dev seems (recent delays aside) alright and the game probably is the best of its kind. Has something for everyone in it, too.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Crestrial

v23.9e
    Monstrous monster girls that don't just have different ears or tail!!
    Great commissioned artwork from experienced monster girl artists!!!
    Custom soundtrack!
    Good spelling and grammar!!
    An RPG with a heavily modified Renpy engine so it doesn't play like a brain dead VN!!

If you love monster girls it would be a sin to not at least try this. Text based games are not for everyone, but the still images are superbly drawn. Nice thing about this game? You are not forced into being a sub, you can be the dominant who fucks the monster girls into submission. You are the chosen one wielding the Excalibur of legends: your dick. The holy crusader of pussy plowing. The knight of breast fondling. The sorcerer of cunnilingus. The skilled rogue of backdoor entry. The mighty barbarian of ass slapping. Your manhood shall ascend until it can spread the folds of the very gods (or at least up until the latest content).

This is a top notch game where it's obvious where money was poured in for its soundtracks, proofreading, and commissioned artwork. Threshold was obviously set out to make a quality game.

I couldn't begin to list the many great things about this game. So I'll just give some current downsides:
    - As you get farther into this game, you'll start to notice some lag. While it isn't game breaking currently, it is concerning for when more stuff gets added.
    - You cannot organize your items
    - Selling things is a pain in the ass
    - Development is slow
    - You cannot romance the muscly red oni :cry:
  9. 5.00 star(s)

RockType

EDIT: Actually, since I gave it sucha glowing review last time, I suppose I would want to pick on the thing I don't like about this game: That it uses the standard RPG-battle system. There is a lot about the setup that's awkward, but my main problem is how the combat-screen that doesn't work.

This is a game where you NEVER want to use the standard "Attack" (Caress) command, and all the actual combat is done through the "skills", which is a sub-menu in the combat screen. The real choices in combat are using skills, using Energy-skills, using Items and, in select situations, defending, and It would be better if the battle-screen reflected that while still leaving open the room for stylism to account for the sexual presentation.

There are also too many tabs under the "skills" menu, which compounds the issue.

There are many fixes you could make, (mainly with reworking the basic "caress" so it links into foreplay-skills) but the easiest one would probably be seperating out "magic" into it's own tab. Maybe even removing Carss/Skill/Item categories, and replace with the three general skill-categories of Power-y/Skill-y/Magic-y, with Item-use moved over to it's own skill.

This arrangement is just a relic that is especially annoying when trying to play the android-port.

----

This deserves a quick review, because it is a great game. One of the better projects here, though currently in an awkward spot developement-wise.

Even though I'm not a fan of the traditional JRPG-battle system, the Battle-Fuck combat here is very inventive, and covers a wide range of themes. The writing is strong, and supports all of the themes on offer really well, with a mix of Femdom- and vanilla-scenarios. I especially enjoy the MC/hypnosis themes and writing, as it's something you don't see done this well very often.

There is a lot of good art, even though the presentation is kind of basic for a Ren'py-game. Not a lot of animations either, but the other aspects make up for it.

Recommended for anyone, really. Especially devs that want to pick up some ideas on how to do accessible femdom in their games.
  10. 4.00 star(s)

2382dudubes

v23.9e
    This is a very text focussed monster sex game.
    The art looks nice, but the sex acts themselves aren't portrayed. You will only see the normal sprites, on occasion with certain effects and maybe some boobs or ass. The content happens in text form.
    The writing is very good. But again, if you dislike reading, this isn't for you.

The characters are versatile and well written. There are a few quests in the game.
    Gameplay is sandbox-style moving around locations, as usual, however there is also a pretty in depth combat system.
    I found the combat system a bit unintuitive, as goal and reward seem to contradict each other most of the time. You want to "win" to progress, but you also want to see/read the lewd stuff, which often requires "losing".

There are also character stats, trait and fetishes which alter mostly damage values, but also some interactions.

I expected a bit more content, considering the game has been in development for 5 years or so. When I ran out, I was a bit disappointed, since nothing really resolves, and game feels very much unfinished. Half the world map, for example is still locked. The present content however works, and I didn't notice any bugs.

tldr: recommended if you like monster girls and a lot of reading
  11. 5.00 star(s)

ZeroG187

A fantastic Battle Fuck game with monster girls of all races, hentai RPG sex fight mechanics, equality of domination on both sides.

You play as a Male adventurer to explore and defeat a bunch of monster girls, beat the monster queen and save the world/island OR pay off this huge debt and go home.

The gameplay is a mixture of text-based and RPG sex mechanics like Erotical-night but jumps straight to sex. They have multiple fetishes for this type of game: BDSM, Pain, Ass, Tits, oral Mouth, Sex, Maledom, any my favorite Femdom. During the sexfight you see how the sex attack on both sides in full text detail and the female opponent's reaction to the move. And could even have an extended scene of what sex fetish you've lost to.

My Favorite 2 Human girls are Elena and Nara. Elena has a great body and figure and has hot sex scenes during the bar. Nara is a alluring dancer that want to have sex everyday and waiting for you ;) (even though Vivian planned this)

My Favorite 3 Monster girls are Perpetua, Shizu and the Elf. Elf girl trying to dominate you even though she has a submissive fetish is very cute and hot. Perpetua is like your regular arch-nemesis or your standard everyday villain you grow to like and she is hilarious. My favorite of all of the monster girl is Shizu. A ninja that rides you when you're sleeping and even have a sex competition with Shizu right in-front of her Kunoichi students and Even humiliate her when you win or do a sex lesson with Shizu if you lose ;)

The issue I've had with this game is that, when there is a sex scene or a defeat scene, we don't get to see nearly most of the girls and monster girls with clothes naked and some are unfinished and just left with text of what they look like.

Overall, a great game that will give you favorite monster girls, human girls and much more once this game is completed. If it'll get completed... :(
  12. 2.00 star(s)

White-Knuckles

This game has a lot of interesting characters, however it has a massive "quantity over quality" issue. Since there are so many characters, the vast majority get left in the dust while a certain few (such as Kotone) get all the attention. The romance scenes are incredibly underwhelming and disappointing due to how short they are and because there is very little attention given to any character that isn't Kotone. The game also has many run-on sentences which impede the quality of the writing, and sex scenes are a bunch of rehashed words (such as changing the word for a pussy or a cock). What I will say though is the majority of art for the game looks great and most characters are pretty cute. That's really all I feel like this game has going for it though. If you want a good story and meaningful relationships with characters, look somewhere else because the wasted potential of many heavily neglected characters is honestly very depressing.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Revalantor

(Review made by version v23.9)
    Amazing game for the lovers of turn based erotic combat. With a variety of fetishes, ways to play and situations available, I highly recommend it. As of writing this review, there are about 20 hours of gameplay, more if you are a completionist, and it gets new updates every now and then.

Combat is varied, with different types of enemies that require different strategies. It can get a bit boring if you are just grinding for the experience, but it's not that much of an issue since the most recent update.

On the negative side I would have to add the absence of a plot or characterization for the avatar, and it's technically not complete status, though the first thing is not really an issue and the second thing will become less of an issue with time.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

DemiTape

Truly a remarkable game on here. I've been avoiding this game like the plague for about a whole year and half because it says its in alpha and is text based, but after seeing several updates of this game fly by over the time and the lack of games I've been waiting for to come out with new updates, I decided to give this a try and only regretted that I haven't played this sooner.

This game has ALOT of monster girls and will not disappoint you in the slightest and even some interactions with some of unique monsters that you've already fought and won over will have different dialogue or even will chat with you as well. Even some situations where you've lost that they'll comment something here and there. I highly recommend trying different dialogue with some of the monsters here and there. You never know what you'll find and what will come out in the situation.

This game doesn't just have sex in it, but has world of its own. What I mean is everyone has their own backstory and lore and will even teach you about their monster species and some would want to be more than just a fuck buddy though I don't know if we'll get some sort of relationship system for that. It has its own humor in here as well with its constantly occurring red slime and doesn't take everything so serious. Even now as I explore the old areas I've been in I'm discovering new places and things I have never seen before.

To the developer that hopefully reads this, I want you know that you've made one heck of a game and that I can't wait to see what more will be added to this amazing game and what type of monsters, story, and lore will be added in. Stay awesome and healthy out there you amazing lad.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

OHHereWeGoAgain

This game is without a doubt one of the best on this site. The large cast of characters and how all but the generic enemies appear to have extensive romantic routes is quite an impressive feat. Even the combat system, while not the most complex or difficult, still allows for a lot of player freedom in their builds and complements the game quite well. It saddens me that many people won't give this game a chance due to the text-based tag, I myself was almost one of them.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Munchbold

Honestly, an amazing game with well-written characters, great scenes and artwork. The highlight in my opinion is the level of depth added to many of the characters potential "girlfriends", which comprises a great deal of the monster encounters you'll face.
    They each have varying degrees of backstory, interactions with the character based off of decisions made, where they're encountered and likewise, scenes that unlock as you progress through that girls arc. Some of them really make you care, which is unusual for a degenerate fap game.
    It's not all story though. You'll progress through areas and encounter girls native to that area, both generic and unique with H-scenes based on whether you win or lose and how you win or lose and there will be plenty of them.
    The battle system is also usually fleshed out for a chode choker. You'll have a variety of 'moves' in your arsenal that can purchased as you progress that target different erogenous zones or fetishes that girls may be weak or resistant to. You also share this same weakness and resistance system that can become more pronounced as you make choices while progressing, so it may be wise to take some time to analyze your opponent before diving in unless you intend on being her plaything.
    The only downfall this game suffers from, likely stems from the source of it's quality - content updates take forever. It's clearly a work of passion and there are few ero games out there that match the level of thought and detail put into Monster Girl Dreams.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

ethenolpowerade

Amazing. One of my top 3 favorite games ever in the genre, really happy about mod support too. The characters get more complex the more you explore the island and find out how theyre all interconnected.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

gimmedatgame

Monster Girl Dreams is a lovely game filled with many interesting monster girl cuties. The game is loosely inspired by Monster Girl Dreams and stays pure to its own name, focusing on monster girls, no furry or futa or anything of that sort. Though for fans of either of those, the game excellently supports modding, meaning anyone can add any content they want, though not all content will necessarily be displayed on the official mod page.

The only real issue the game has in my opinion is a fairly slow development speed due to the dev working solo and having suffered a burnout before, but the upside in this is that there can be no internal conflict within the dev team that would result in the project falling apart, as has happened with various games out there. It's a case of quality over quantity, something that I support. Plenty of games develop faster, but what they churn out is easily forgettable and generally not worth coming back to, while I find myself repeating encounters with various girls within the game, both the unnamed ones you encounter in the wild as well as the many girls that can be romanced.

If you like monster girls this game is an absolute must-play.
  19. 4.00 star(s)

Dargondo

This review is for Alpha v23.8b

• Art is 9/10
      The quality of the art is superb, my only issue is that there isn't MORE of it.
      While it is nice to have a standing image to look at that occasionally changes, it would be nice if there was more art to accompany what events are happening in combat rather than just changing facial expressions.
    • Gameplay is 7/10
      The grindy nature is a little tiresome since you wind up spending most of your money on curing yourself of "ailments" on normal difficulty rather than on things that can make you stronger.
    • Perk/level system is 5/10
      With how much you need to grind to level up, the payoff really doesn't feel worth it in the end as you still have to rely on expensive healing items to get through most fights, even if you're ten levels higher than the person you're fighting and only getting a new perk once every three levels leaves you wishing you could just power level faster so you can actually have access to everything.
      If the level up system got reworked to make the game less grindy, then I would have to give this game five stars.
    • Fetish content is 6/10
      Having to pick a "fetish" that you're weak against at character creation is nifty, but if you pick the wrong one, it makes the game much harder.
      For instance, there is very little leg based content in the game compared to the rest of the available content, so if you go with that "fetish" then you will have a much easier time than if you go with any of the other ones.
      The reason I keep using quotations for the word "fetish" is because a fetish is something that ones NEEDS in order to achieve sexual pleasure, while a kink is something that adds to the pleasure or can even be considered exploratory.
      Considering every sexual attack causes arousal damage, these are all kinks, not fetishes.
    • The list of available kinks/fetishes is extraordinarily small and narrow.
      As stated above, a fetish is considered much more severe than a kink, so the fact that the list of options is primarily centered around body parts and not sexual acts is very disappointing, especially since you would expect sadism, masochism, impregnation, bondage, etc. to be in that list, especially since some of those are available perks.
    • The one specific fetish/kink you would expect to see in a game where the premise is that monster girls are breeding with human men is sadly and very noticeably absent.
      In a game where monster girls are turning men into breeding slaves, the fact that there is zero pregnancy/impregnation content is a major let down, especially since the NPCs in the game keep talking about being bred and you even have a virility stat that apparently seems to be more of a weakness than anything.
    • Romance is 2/10
      They talk about love and relationships constantly in the game, but you can never really pursue anything since everyone either isn't interested or is a tsundere about it or is just a minor npc who you'll only encounter in a specific area (looking at you lizard girl in the forest).
      Considering the lack of any pregnancy based content and no sort of part system (which would be incredibly helpful since you're usually going against multiple enemies at the same time) I get that there is no actual relationship system, but hopefully that will all be implemented in the future.
    • Development time is 5/10
      This game has been in development for quite some time now and is still in early alpha state.
      If you've read any of my other ratings on similar situations, you know where I'm going with this.
      This is primarily a text based game and every fight is practically identical, meaning the majority of the writing is focused around the actual story progression.
      From what I've seen, there is a decent amount of writing in the game so far, but as a professional writer myself, I can say that a dozen paragraphs is not a lot of writing at all (just look at the length of my reviews ffs).
      I don't know the full extent of the game so far, but I do know that when it comes to game development, you need to focus on making the main content of the game first, and then add in all the extra side story stuff. That's literally how DLC comes into existence.
      For how long the game has been in development, at least the main story should be complete by now, even if it doesn't have art made for it yet (that's what placeholder pieces are for).
      I have seen far worse examples of this kind of situation with text reliant games though, and the rest of the assets in the game make up for the lengthy development time, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
    • All in all, a solid game that's definitely worth playing.
      It won't be winning any awards, but the art and combat system are very enjoyable. The game is a bit grindy, but it's a tolerable amount of grind. The available NSFW content leaves a bit to be desired, but is still good enough to get your rocks off.
  20. 2.00 star(s)

GS523523

2/5 - DNF; did get me off

This is an adventure game where your goal is to complete 10 or so levels to beat the game. Each level consists of 10 or so encounters. Until you beat a level once you will face the same series of encounters every attempt. After you beat a level you can repeat it, this time choosing your encounters. Encounter design is various, but nothing new.
    I beat 3 out of the 5 levels currently in the game. Each took me about an hour on normal difficulty (difficulty affects xp/grind).
    Combat is well designed and interesting. There was clearly a lot of thought put into it; you can't just spam auto-attack like in CoC. This is easily the best part about the game.

The porn, unfortunately, is bad. It consists of a softcore drawing and about 10 clicks of text. While the writing itself is good, there is little creativity. Most girls have very similar personalities, and there isn't much difference to doing anal with an imp vs a ninja. Actually there isn't even much difference to doing anal vs vaginal.
    The named characters are more interesting, but most of these are heavily into femdom. 3/4 of these scenes are basically "a spider catches you in its web... get punished or leave".

+ Well designed, balanced combat and economy

- Repetitive
    - For a game 3+ years in development, there isn't a lot of content.
    - Cringy anime-style writing. It's not bad in the beginning, but it got worse the farther I progressed. Besides being cringy, I also associate that kind of dialogue with 12 year old girls from Pokemon.