Modifying Daz 3 models in blender

dopperman

Nov 3, 2018
Hi, Im trying to modify a Daz 3d file (background) in blender.

So first I export the model from daz 3d to blender where I can edit what I want. But on reimporting it to Daz 3d (.obj) it looses all information. Before blender, I can say open and close doors and there is texture. After blender its just one white block (I tried texturing it, but while its textured in blender its still white in daz 3d.

Ive tried googling for a tutorial, but it doesnt seem to exist. How do you modify existing models in blender? (changing a small detail in a background prop)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
OBJ files are just meshes and textures - they don't carry any rigging information. So that's why you lost all that. If you need to keep rigging, you probably want to try going to and from Blender in a different format - possibly FBX. Not 100% sure that that will preserve all the rigging the way Daz likes it, but it's more likely to work than OBJ.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Look for the plugin:
The plugin will do everything automatically for you.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

dopperman

Nov 3, 2018
Thank you Winterfire. That plugin does seem to export everything correctly to blender, but I cant find a way to export it back into Daz 3d while maintaining everything.

Am I missing some step?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
As said above, FBX will keep all the information, I do it a fair bit with different assets back and forth from daz to blender, never tried with anything that is rigged though but in theory it will (should) work. Look on youtube there are certain things to tick and untick in the fbx export box that pops up in daz. It will also be out of scale most likely, sending meshes to differnt 3d programs is a pain in the ass most times.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Victoria 4 was the last version based on the human figure model. V5,6,7,8 are Genesis based :poop:

V4.jpg

Reactions: c4pr1c0rnv5

dopperman

Nov 3, 2018
I cant get it to work - fbx just give me a wireframe and .obj dont keep the texture. Im not even changing anything at this step - just export from daz with the script, import in blender and then export.

Is it easier in hexagon (the program that comes with daz3d)? I could purchase it but I dont want to waste money if I just run into the same problems...

Is it easier in any other free software?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
What is the background / prop that you want to modify?
you can edit backgrounds in photoshop
smart prop / prop / etc.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I cant get it to work - fbx just give me a wireframe and .obj dont keep the texture.
When you export the FBX, you need to explicitly opt to embed the textures if you want them to transfer.

dopperman

Nov 3, 2018
What is the background / prop that you want to modify?
you can edit backgrounds in photoshop
smart prop / prop / etc.
Trying to add a, lets just call it a hole, to the School Bathroom at daz3d.com ( )

I added a few pictures.
1.PNG
So I export to blender alright with the script linked above. Then I add the hole easily enough.

2.PNG
Export to .fbx

4.PNG

Looks alright enough in Daz 3d now (something iffy is going on with the surface but that is probably blender caused (first image is iffy too... but the UV-map seem alright to me))

when I try to render it though:

4_rendered.PNG
Turns very bright. Probably setting problems though.

The problem is it kept very little information on exporting to blender - all the doors are merged to one object, all the toilets, sinks etc the same (in original daz 3d model they are each unique). Still, all the doors (and stall walls) are now one object, separate from the sinks for example. The logic makes little sense to me :/

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Trying to add a, lets just call it a hole, to the School Bathroom at daz3d.com ( )

I added a few pictures.
View attachment 250222
So I export to blender alright with the script linked above. Then I add the hole easily enough.

View attachment 250223
Export to .fbx

View attachment 250225

Looks alright enough in Daz 3d now (something iffy is going on with the surface but that is probably blender caused (first image is iffy too... but the UV-map seem alright to me))

when I try to render it though:

View attachment 250226
Turns very bright. Probably setting problems though.

The problem is it kept very little information on exporting to blender - all the doors are merged to one object, all the toilets, sinks etc the same (in original daz 3d model they are each unique). Still, all the doors (and stall walls) are now one object, separate from the sinks for example. The logic makes little sense to me :/
You can actually do that in daz. Either remove some polygons, or add a sphere with a transparent map.
Or use this:
Looks like mcasual has a script for everything :LOL:

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
You can actually do that in daz. Either remove some polygons, or add a sphere with a transparent map.
Or use this:
Would the sphere with transparent map be problematic, if that's a "glory hole"?
11039a5dca950421c7d0169bc2069e79.jpeg

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Just a quick test:
quicky.png transmap_test3.png
It's a bit fiddly to find the right position if the wall is a qube, but if its a plane, there is no problem at all.

dopperman

Nov 3, 2018
Or use this:
Hmm, that does seem to fix the immideate problem of getting a hole. But I also have plans for other modifications (non hole ones).

I would like to understand how to do this proper is what I'm trying to say.

Its a really hard problem to google as well - but that is probably because I am not well versed in blender/daz3d/similar software and the terms.

View attachment 250222
I have no idea how to google whatever is going on with the face with the hole. Search phrase "Blender surface added hole surface broke" gave me nothing,

Is the export from Hexagon to Daz 3d seamless? As in, can I simply import the Daz 3d model, make adjustments in hexagon, then reexport it?

I dont want to pay for hexagon if I have the same problems as in blender.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Hexagon should be free if you have daz from the official page :rolleyes:
The im- and export is seamless most of the time.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
What does it say when you use dim? Does it even show up there?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so I have a thought here, if you can't figure out your Hexagon issue. This advice might still apply even if you use Hexagon, though.

Instead of exporting the whole model to Blender (or maybe Hexagon), you could use the geometry editor tool in Daz to hide/delete the particular wall section in question that you have the hole in, then import a shape from Blender to replace said wall that you want the hole in, and place it where the old wall section was that you just hid. If the 'new wall' size is off slightly, you can adjust the x/y/z scales to fit, although if you scale one axis by a lot you may end up stretching your hole.

Sometimes when you hide stuff with the Geometry editor tool, it'll reappear the next time you load that model, so you'll want to delete hidden polygons after you hide them. I suggest saving to a new filename, just in case you end up hiding extra polygons or something, so that you can fall back on the previous save and give it another go. Sometimes you end up selecting polygons behind the section you are trying to modfy, and may not notice that until later on when you are viewing from another camera angle or something.

You'll still need to assign a texture map(s) to the object, but you should be able to use all or or part of the texture map for the wall in question (may need to crop and resize the relevant section in photoshop if it's a combined map), and then dial in the horizontal and vertical tiling and offset appropriately to 'match' the adjacent walls as needed.

You can also assign different textures to different faces of say a cube using the geometry editor tool (right click, find create surface from selected polygons option).

By just replacing the section in question, you won't have to deal with the issue of lost rigging, etc. unless the section you need to modify is a door or something. Even then, you could still use the x/y/z adjust and rotate parameters to position and rotate said door as needed. I'm sure there's a way to 'rig' a new door, etc. so that it rotates properly, but that's not something I've ever tried to do. I should learn how to do that someday...

Anyways, by using a separate object for the hole, you can get as detailed as you want with the hole. Say if you wanted an irregular edge or something to simulate someone punching a hole through with a screwdriver or something, although if they used a drill bit, that should be a simple matter of combining a small cylinder with a cube...