Ren'Py Microsoft Defender's 'SmartScreen' blocks my game

BerndSnail

Apr 1, 2024
Hello! I've spent a few hours searching but couldn't find a solution that i like. Maybe someone here can help. I think it's a common issue. I couldn't find any posts about it here, so if there's one, please share the link. I made already the second version of my game, but when I share the download link through Mega, Windows Defender blocks it, even though it's the same file I uploaded without changes. It wasn't blocked before uploading and it's virus-free when scanned with antivirus software. It's only blocked because the publisher is unknown. Has anyone found a solution? As a player, it's a bit disconcerting, which isn't cool – these games are meant to be relaxing and enjoyable!

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Windows used to (maybe still does) have a problem with the 32bit versions of games.

To which the quick and easy answer is just to switch the 32bit version off before you build the next release.

Python:
# -- options.rpy file ---
    build.include_i686 = False

As part of the build sections of the file, after build.classify and build.documentation.

If you're getting Windows Defender problems with the 64 executable, sorry... I'm unsure.

BerndSnail

Apr 1, 2024
Thank you very much for the good idea. Unfortunately, it did not work. I really don't know what the issue is. If anyone wants to test it, here is the link. As far as I know, no one has downloaded the game yet, you could be my first player :D..

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
well, i just did a search of keywords of "microsoft defender smart screen blocks".

for clarity, i have put the solution in a green text color.

there was a helpful paragraph that says the following:

How to stop Windows Defender SmartScreen from blocking apps?

Go to “App & browser control” and choose “Reputation-based protection settings”. You will see options for blocking unwanted apps/files, and Microsoft Defender SmartScreen. To turn it off, toggle off the switch next to “Check apps and files” and “SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge”.

please let me know if that helped you.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

BerndSnail

Apr 1, 2024
Yes, that works great, thank you very much. The problem is that while it now works fine for me, I am still looking for a solution so that when I share the game, not everyone has to adjust the settings individually. If I don't find anything else, I'll just send the tutorial along :D.

79flavors : To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a 64-bit executable or a 32-bit one. But according to it is a 64-bit.

Thank you both so much for your quick help!! Off to sleep bye bye..

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Yes, that works great, thank you very much. The problem is that while it now works fine for me, I am still looking for a solution so that when I share the game, not everyone has to adjust the settings individually. If I don't find anything else, I'll just send the tutorial along :D.

79flavors : To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a 64-bit executable or a 32-bit one. But according to it is a 64-bit.

Thank you both so much for your quick help!! Off to sleep bye bye..
glad to hear we helpful to you. sleep well.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Traditionally, a lot of issues seemed to crop up around .ico files. Usually of the false-positive variety. Are you using a custom icon file, perhaps?

Reactions: hu lover

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yes, that works great, thank you very much. The problem is that while it now works fine for me, I am still looking for a solution so that when I share the game, not everyone has to adjust the settings individually.
Well, if the issue is really blocked because the publisher is unknown, there's not much you can do.

To make it simple, to automatically bypass this, you should have a security certificate (like for the HTTPS sites), and it must be on Windows' list of trusted publishers. And of course you shouldn't forget to renew the certificate every year, until your death since there's possibly people who would want to play your game in few years, if not in many years.
So, in short, the efforts needed do not worth the small benefit.

Reactions: BerndSnail

BerndSnail

Apr 1, 2024
MissFortune unfortunately, I did not modify the icon file. What I've discovered aligns with Anne O'Nymous's explanation. The issue and potential solutions are clearly outlined .

This must be a common frustration among developers, likely affecting every new Renpy game creator. I'm hopeful that an easier solution will emerge eventually. anne O'nymous, the certification process seems overly complex and costly. Plus, if I need Microsoft's approval, they'll only validate a single version. Then, when I release a new version in a month or so, I'll have to start over. My plan is to advise future players to disregard the warning, even though it may deter some from playing the game.

Despite my frustration with this situation, I am genuinely surprised and grateful for the helpfulness in this forum. Thank you for the efforts you made to find a solution!

Lordbufu

Feb 21, 2018
For some reason this attracted my attention from the 'latest posts' on the home page, i though i would give my 2cents, despite not being a game-dev or involved in anyway.

EDIT:
Seems the conclusion was posted as i was drafting this, so i hope it still contributes some background info or helpful tid-bits. Something called me away, so took a fair bit longer then expected, for some odd reason this specific 'issue' triggered my inner nerd rather hard :HideThePain:
Windows Smart-screen is a 'special kind of thing', that has raised eyebrows ever since it was introduced, at least in the IT space.
And has triggered many ''ow ffs Microsoft" reactions in the IT workspace, and likely many support-desk hours spend .. considering the average office worker :geek:

I believe the same happened for Ren'Py when it started supporting 64-bit, as you can likely still find posts on this forum, about how suddenly smart-screen started to pop-up on a lot of popular games that dint have it before. Likely related to a mix of licensing/verification and odd behavior, as smart-screen used to not always be very accurate with new software (in my experience back in Win7).

But the TLDR is always: Don't about it to much, unless you want to release software on a more professional level (as you have already found out). And you where on the right track, with just telling people to ignore it.

For a 'Power User', it might as well be named 'annoying-screen', because that is imho what it ends up being as disabling it is a pain as well these days.
Consider the following about some smart-screen features (based mostly of information, might be slightly outdated):
  1. It triggers on downloaded files, and stores a editable flag in the file meta-data (Zone.Identifier).
  2. Retains (or what ever the proper term is) said flag for files inside a .zip/.rar etc.
  3. The verification process is reputation based, and you gain with installs without issues (windows telemetry).
  4. It seems to not check files downloaded by a executable .... despite point 1.
So technically, you can make a version locked installer, that downloads maybe even installs your software.
Automate the download/installation and if required removal of files/app, and run that until you have enough installs to be trusted (likely a stupid number for unsigned software). Then simply wait for the grace-period to pass, and what ever changes you make to the files it downloads/installs, should not effect the smart-screen status.

Although i cant say for sure, its likely a reason why for example drivers installs, are done in a similar way. As OV certificates are the cheapest, and getting ~500-1000 people to install it to be trusted, is a fairly low threshold even for small companies/single person dev teams. Less money spend = higher profit margin (y)

But its also the reason why some people hate it, because if you consider the above mentioned, its really just a dumb-screen imho; Just another form of income for Microsoft.
In practice, most users end up clicking true it, because the software author said to ignore it (and rightfully so) :KEK:
It likely has its uses, but i have always failed to see them, as windows defender and other apps have always caught the problems before smart-screen was even in the picture.

I refreshed my memory from this , witch is largely the same as the posted article (article might even be partially based on it), so most of it seems still current. And also mostly overlaps with my own IT-Pro knowledge, from when smart-screen was still newish.

BerndSnail

Apr 1, 2024
I've now decided to just upload the game to itch as it is, and yeah, I hope that enough people click through it until it's seen as trustworthy. Thanks for explaining how it exactly works, that could be interesting for a more experienced programmer, but it's too complicated for me to automate it myself. If it goes well, I might take a closer look at the OV Certificate... But for a game that doesn't have a community yet, it's too expensive for me. It does annoy me quite a bit though... That's why I'm writing a letter until I either forget about it or get annoyed enough to solve the problem :D... Lordbufu as you mentioned maybe it should be renamed..

Here's a brief snippet, may it offer some comfort to other beleaguered developers...

Request for Renaming Microsoft Defender SmartScreen:

Mighty Microsoft,

I am writing to formally request the renaming of the pre-installed program known as SmartScreen. I find the title inappropriate because it blocks my indie game, which, while admittedly lewd, does not contain any viruses. I believe that a program carrying "smart" in its title should be able to differentiate between different types of content. Since this is not the case, I would prefer a different name.
It doesn't necessarily have to be "DumbScreen," as it seems to at least recognize something. However, I find "smart" to be somewhat boastful and not entirely in line with reality. How about "MidDumbScreen" or “Reputationbased” as an alternative?

Sincerely,
Bernd Snail