moohoo

May 13, 2018
Glad you enjoyed the game! No, MERCANOID was built alongside my reusable framework for future games, so once the systems were complete I developed it further into a short but hopefully memorable game that shows off as much as I can. Dev fatigue set in, and I eventually decided I could keep working on this forever or I could get it out the door, get some eyes on me, and move on to something bigger.

A MERCANOID of 3 times the length probably wouldn't have been free!

Correct on those two instances of Perform. Sex Appeal and Intimidation are functioning systems, but are not present in MERCANOID itself.

I have begun work on my next game after bouncing off a few different ideas, actually. I'm not going to announce it yet, but some key points;
- Semi-urban Fantasy setting to contrast MERCANOID's Sci-fi, set in a town of monsterfolk.
- Set back on Terra, pre-Stars era, but late into the World era. Terra is a united world where the mundane and the magical have been mixed.
- MUCH larger in scale than MERCANOID, but with far greater variety of locations and situations. More lighthearted in tone.
- A change to how I approach some zones - Dungeons will utilize MERCANOID's tile-by-tile exploration, whereas safe, social areas like the main town hub utilize a more traditional text adventure link-to-link, place-to-place interface.
- It's gunna be a while before I'm close to any sort of announcement. Work is keeping me busy.
- Finally, this won't be a free game. I'm aiming to deliver a strong demo, a day 0 full-game 'update' for buyers, and then updates to expand and finish off the game. I won't be launching a 0.01 alpha, so get comfy, it'll be a while.

While I did have ambitions of releasing my games for free on a Pay-What-You-Want system, MERCANOID's shown that isn't particularly viable; I don't mind sharing that outside of money from friends, it's turned over around ~£200 since launch.

I would love to be able to do this for a living, but I can't do that without money. I don't want to do a Patreon or any such similar model. I'd rather have a game(s) I can ask for a bit of money for, that I can put on sale, and that I can hopefully start bundling once I'm further into my career/catalogue. ♥

If you're really hungry for updates, I try to post wips and progress reports on my Discord - in my sig. I'm in the boring period of laying out the game's skeleton up to a certain point, so there's not much to say at the moment.
Will it flirt with impreg as much as Mercanoid? Mercanoid was my perfect game for that reason.

Reactions: Tarrasque3000

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
It remains to be a kink of mine, so yes. It won't expand any further than the level it appears in MERCANOID, though - I have some hangups about things like fighting whilst pregnant, or the 'just dump your spawn in a nursery somewhere' approach taken elsewhere. It's reserved for bad/diverted endings or alluded to, mostly. Fucking like you wanna breed is half the fun of breeding~.

Last edited:

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
What is the pregnancy in this game?
A few of the game's bad ends - which can be viewed at any time as rewards for winning fights, or surviving their losses without triggering said bad ends - have themes of breeding and pregnancy.

Noloid

Oct 31, 2020
ik I'm late to the game but how do i access the fantasize menu? when i kill defeat a monster it says I unlock a scene in the fantasize gallery but I can't find it. and I can't find anywhere in the thread of someone talking about it's location so am i genuinely blind or am I missing something?

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
ik I'm late to the game but how do i access the fantasize menu? when i kill defeat a monster it says I unlock a scene in the fantasize gallery but I can't find it. and I can't find anywhere in the thread of someone talking about it's location so am i genuinely blind or am I missing something?
I think it's in the rest spot in the starting room. You can also rest there, which is kind of important.

Reactions: Pyksies and Noloid

gordonfrohman

Dec 6, 2021
It remains to be a kink of mine, so yes. It won't expand any further than the level it appears in MERCANOID, though - I have some hangups about things like fighting whilst pregnant, or the 'just dump your spawn in a nursery somewhere' approach taken elsewhere. It's reserved for bad/diverted endings or alluded to, mostly. Fucking like you wanna breed is half the fun of breeding~.
A little disheartened to know that almost any impreg will be reserved just for endings, makes it feel a tad sidelined, but honestly it's completely understandable considering your problems you have with how it's handled in most cases. A way to have it as a mechanic without having it take over the main game or running into any of the aforementioned problems does sound like a dream, but unfortunately I don't think I'm smart enough to provide a catch-all solution off the bat, so back to dreaming it is. I do know that whatever is up next, I'm for sure still going to be interested.
Speaking of, iirc I think you said you wanted to keep exploring the setting that MERCANOID takes place in for a future game, just in a different time period. I did play through your back catalog (good stuff by the way) and was wondering if you were going to revisit the setting of Survive or Succumb in any way; a remake or entirely original game in that time period?

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
A little disheartened to know that almost any impreg will be reserved just for endings, makes it feel a tad sidelined, but honestly it's completely understandable considering your problems you have with how it's handled in most cases. A way to have it as a mechanic without having it take over the main game or running into any of the aforementioned problems does sound like a dream, but unfortunately I don't think I'm smart enough to provide a catch-all solution off the bat, so back to dreaming it is. I do know that whatever is up next, I'm for sure still going to be interested.
Speaking of, iirc I think you said you wanted to keep exploring the setting that MERCANOID takes place in for a future game, just in a different time period. I did play through your back catalog (good stuff by the way) and was wondering if you were going to revisit the setting of Survive or Succumb in any way; a remake or entirely original game in that time period?
I might be able to work some breeding-centric stuff into future work outside of bad/misdirected ends, but they'd probably be limited to things like accelerated pregnancies of monster eggs for specific quests and whatnot. Or, be applied to characters other than the protagonist.

Oh wow, you're reaching into the Pyksies deeplore, haha. Nice to know someone remembers SoS, but that game and its setting are bettered considered to be prototypes of what I'm working on now!

Somewhat cynically, SoS started life as 'Well, Corruption of Champions has fantasy covered, Trials in Tainted Space has the Sci-Fi market, I should try a Post Apocalyptic game!'. It was scoped far beyond my capabilities at the time, made using an ill-fitting engine that I was banking on receiving further improvements - its much discussed 6.0 update, which, alas, remains to be delayed to this day after the original creator quite the scene and passed it off to a user, who's had a lot to untangle.

I spent a long time tinkering with my wider setting after that, and a fair amount of SoS' DNA found its way into what I'm working with now. There are three major games I would like to make set in the post-apocalypse era, each dealing with a different cradle - areas where the descendants of mankind were able to survive and begin to thrive - and the strife encountered in those locations.

A direct remake or re-take of SoS is unlikely, but suffice to say a lot of its energy is present in some of my WIP projects, and the setting as a whole.

Kyrozoki

May 29, 2020
Anyone know of games similar to Mercanoid? I keep revisiting this one, and I'm curious if anyone has others that are similar.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Pyksies

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
I don't mind people dropping recommendations! Tragically, I don't really know myself, as I don't actually tend to play many Adult games since I got back into making my own, hah.

Oh, as a quick update on me;
- Working on Evilixir
- Doing writing work for some other games, which is somewhat of a priority as those people have delivery dates and such
- Toying with some smaller, niche game concepts.

Zzyzx

Jun 5, 2017
Anyone know of games similar to Mercanoid? I keep revisiting this one, and I'm curious if anyone has others that are similar.
Depends what exactly you are looking for. Writing wise the closest would be Pyksies older games "The flesh Cavern" and "Milking It" both being choose your own adventure style stories instead of full fledged rpgs and needing quest 5 to be played.

The Flesh Cavern direct download

Milking It direct download

Gameplay wise Mercanoids had inspirations from "Trials in tainted space" which is the closest that comes to mind if yopu are looking for similar gameplay, together with "Lilith's throne".

https://f95zone.to/threads/trials-in-tainted-space-v0-9-094-fenoxo.469/

https://f95zone.to/threads/liliths-throne-v0-4-9-5-innoxia.3564/

And if it's just more general text based rpgs there's "Monster Girl Dreams" and "Divine Dawn".

https://f95zone.to/threads/monster-girl-dreams-v25-9b-alpha-threshold.6491/

https://f95zone.to/threads/divine-dawn-v0-28-cryswar.73834/

- Doing writing work for some other games, which is somewhat of a priority as those people have delivery dates and such
Can you tell us more about those games? Could be intersting if you are writing for them. :D

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
Depends what exactly you are looking for. Writing wise the closest would be Pyksies older games "The flesh Cavern" and "Milking It" both being choose your own adventure style stories instead of full fledged rpgs and needing quest 5 to be played.

The Flesh Cavern direct download

Milking It direct download

Gameplay wise Mercanoids had inspirations from "Trials in tainted space" which is the closest that comes to mind if yopu are looking for similar gameplay, together with "Lilith's throne".

https://f95zone.to/threads/trials-in-tainted-space-v0-9-094-fenoxo.469/

https://f95zone.to/threads/liliths-throne-v0-4-9-5-innoxia.3564/

And if it's just more general text based rpgs there's "Monster Girl Dreams" and "Divine Dawn".

https://f95zone.to/threads/monster-girl-dreams-v25-9b-alpha-threshold.6491/

https://f95zone.to/threads/divine-dawn-v0-28-cryswar.73834/

Can you tell us more about those games? Could be intersting if you are writing for them. :D
I will say that while I started out trying to write stuff for TiTS wayyy back, this was very early on and I never really played it as it developed much. Gameplay similarities, if present beyond 'Text RPG with combat', are coincidental - though I know TiTS has a shield mechanic, at the very least.

Lilith's Throne, I have played for a grand total of 15 minutes, a very long time ago.

As for what I've been working on;

I did some writing grunt work for , writing up missions for one of its new star systems to explore. A mixture of SFW and *very* light NSFW allusions, as that specific feature isn't really part of the game's smut focus outside of some of the missions rewarding sexual EXP. This was (for now) a one-time commission, but I might get the opportunity to do more later in the year. I had fun with it!

I've been doing a lot of writing for a game called Dust, a trainer and management type game that's working towards a demo release at the moment. Nothing I can link to at the moment, it's a change of pace and style for me but it's been going very well!

Finally, I myself am working on two projects;
The aforementioned Evilixir is my main project and is going to be a thing I'll be working on for quite some time, I believe. This will be the first game I release a major demo for, but that's a ways off. A mixture of town exploration and dungeon crawling, with both systems linking back to one another as you guide the protagonist, Noxi, towards her goals whilst managing her morale and newfound relationships with spooky, lewd town residents and monsters.

As a release valve from that, and to trial out some concepts I've been messing with, I'm also working on a vore-centric small-scope game called Anarchy Aboard, intended to be a short experience with a few fights, puzzles, optional scenes and a mixture of prey, pred, and non-vore sex scenes. I expect this to be fairly niche but as mentioned I'm trialling concepts with it, such as an RNG-free lightweight rework of my combat system that turns fights into more of a puzzle/strategy experience.

Progress on my own projects is a little slowed at the moment while I work on Dust's demo content, though that's nearing completion. It's very likely that I'll continue working for the game, but once the demo's done I can slow down a bit and focus on my own stuff. Unless other paid opportunities from other devs crop up, of course!

4.90 star(s) 26 Votes