Tool ManuelBastioniLAB: the free and open source character editor for Blender

captainJugs

Jun 7, 2017
With the appropriate credit and respecting the CC-BY 4.0 license, here is a free character creator than can be used in closed sourced games.

While lacking in assets like clothing and hair, the quality is quite good.
Here is a 20 minute render in Blender on my POS computer.
MBLabTest.jpg

I'm still working out all the tricks to get the models working in Unity3d, but it seems like a good alternative to paying a license fee for Daz models.

InHeat

THE LUST CREATOR!
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2017
it does not offer any adult body parts... only the simple body because that was the intent of Manuel, not to be used in adult games

Xenon-San

Jun 16, 2017
Here is a 20 minute render in Blender on my POS computer.
and it looks better that mass effect andromeda model

as for adult parts i wouldn't be supirsed if someone from /3dcg/ alredy did some benis und bagina addon for blender

hardwire666

Apr 12, 2018
I bounced between MLab and MakeH trying to figure out a decent pipeline to do something in UE4. Everything started getting messy when it came time to take care of genitals. I grafted some pre existing parts sucsesucce-ish fir testing, but my skills for a modern realtime 3d pipeline are not the most advanced, and a simple test was turning into my own personal Starcitizen. Personally im going the 2d renderd route and eventually 3d realtime.

As it stands, both MakeH and Mlab require some dirty work to be usable. but if you have the time and skill either are an option. Both have their draw backs, but are a good start if you dont have time to create posable models from scratch.

Nov 9, 2022
It's a really weird mixed bag.

Lab gives you curvy, appealing body shapes with janky collarbones you need to smooth out. Human has male and female genitals available from the online community as Proxies, but you have to go looking for them. Neither one has the quality or the quantity of clothing / hair / prop assets to compete with Daz, and as driven as the MakeHuman community can be at times, only a few people actually make content.

Speaking of content, it seems like the focus is always on either really niche or period-specific clothing items, or else converting clothing and hair from other models (which they then can't distribute, but you can do it yourself.) Then they make these giant logos for each of their releases so they can't afford to show you pictures of what's different!

Mildly frustrating.