Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Well, just to avoid confusion, we might need to separate installation instructions for Linux and Mac. While, in essence, we speak about same things (installing of wine, cabextract and winetricks), there are some differences due to, well we speak about different Operating systems.
First, Linux users use bash as default shell, so sh before commands is obsolete. Also, homebrew is not needed in Linux (it's system of porting Linux tools at MacOS, those tools are already included in Linux repos.
It would go like this:
  1. Install wine, cabextract and winetricks. Type in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install wine cabextract winetricks
    Important note: this command is Debian based systems, if you use other distributions, use their package managers instead (packman for Arch, zipper for Suse, dnf for Fedora etc...). If you don't have sudo enabled, just use root terminal, and type commands without sudo prefix.
  2. Install ms fonts, devenum and quartz with winetricks
    Code:
    winetricks corefonts devenum quartz
Also, with part about disabling winegstreamer, window decoration etc... winecfg is command line interface application. In order to use gui you must start app with winecfg --gui. (Launch it with Alt+F2, or from terminal).

I was thinking about the same, but decided not to post a full installation guide for Linux for a simple reason: The average Linux user knows what he does.
1. There are not many of us (linux-users) here.
2. An average Linux user know how to use the terminal and sudo.
3. A Linux user know where he can find a solution for his problem

In my opinion the installation guide is for Windows and Mac users. These to groups are the majority here on F95 and mostly the groups with less computer experience.

EDIT: I used the old installation guide to install wine and set it up a few months back. And I consider myself as an average linux user.. Changing Prefixes etc. I learned it a few weeks back out of curiosity.

Using google and being able to read and understand a bit English should be a minimum requirement for using an OS like Linux.

Just saying that we don't need to present everything on a silver spoon to other people. Those also need do start to use their own brain - at least sometimes :giggle:.

Last edited:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
I was thinking about the same, but decided not to post a full installation guide for Linux for a simple reason: The average Linux user knows what he does.
1. There are not many of us (linux-users) here.
Well, more than you think.

2. An average Linux user know how to use the terminal and sudo.
He does (or she does), but it's not the point. First, sudo is enabled by default only at Debian and Suse. On other distros you must enable and tweak it by yourself. Second, all instlation in question can be done without even going in terminal

3. A Linux user know where he can find a solution for his problem
Tweaking wine configuration is rather above the average. You need to experiment a lot, and you need to know exactly what you are doing in order to reproduce. (Look for this thread it took us few months to solve just two problems, animations and freeze after minmization.
In my opinion the installation guide is for Windows and Mac users. These to groups are the majority here on F95 and mostly the groups with less computer experience.
Well, I don't think comparing users of different systems helps us here.
Just for sake of story, I was moderator on few Linux user forums. There was always lot of confusion, people would use outdated installation guides, run in weird bugs etc... there is always need for concise and specific set of instructions, to avoid troubleshooting and confusion.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Well, more than you think.
Yeah, those guys hiding in the shadows :p

He does (or she does), but it's not the point. First, sudo is enabled by default only at Debian and Suse. On other distros you must enable and tweak it by yourself. Second, all instlation in question can be done without even going in terminal
I never tried a different distro aside Ubuntu, after switching from MacOS to Linux back in 2014. No idea how Manjaro, Arch, Fedora, Mint, Chinese/Russian/North-Korean OS Distros.... are working.:(

How can we provide an installation guide for all available distros? Do we have a benchmark of MotH Linux player and their distros? -> I don't thing so!

Sorry for sounding arrogant, but would it not mean, if we provide a installation guide for one distro (e.g. Debian/Ubuntu), that we also should provide one for other distros? Who will be in charge to decide witch distro is more important as the other one? ("All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." - Orwell)

Tweaking wine configuration is rather above the average. You need to experiment a lot, and you need to know exactly what you are doing in order to reproduce. (Look for this thread it took us few months to solve just two problems, animations and freeze after minmization.
Fair point! But you have to see, that we are not talking about a AAA-Game from a big publisher, where all features of the game needs to work. Our games here are mostly just a 'clusterfuck' of renders and some animations. If those games are not running out-of-the-box with wine, than you should use the recommended OS by the game developer.

All Unity game developer can already provide a native Mac and Linux version, but they don't to it, because the they don't want to support three platforms at once...(I personally don't like it, because some new unity features are not supported in Wine and require .dll's only Windows Meda Foundation provides. -> see unity forum)

Just for sake of story, I was moderator on few Linux user forums. There was always lot of confusion, people would use outdated installation guides, run in weird bugs etc... there is always need for concise and specific set of instructions, to avoid troubleshooting and confusion.
You are right to 100% and I support a full installation guide for every available distro - But this brings us back to the previous question, which distro do we support and which not. And of course there is still Faerin....:confused:

Last edited:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Yeah, those guys hiding in the shadows :p

I never tried a different distro aside Ubuntu, after switching from MacOS to Linux back in 2014. No idea how Manjaro, Arch, Fedora, Mint, Chinese/Russian/North-Korean OS Distros.... are working.:(

How can we provide an installation guide for all available distros? Do we have a benchmark of MotH Linux player and their distros? -> I don't thing so!

Sorry for sounding arrogant, but would it not mean, if we provide a installation guide for one distro (e.g. Debian/Ubuntu), that we also should provide one for other distros? Who will be in charge to decide witch distro is more important as the other one? ("All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." - Orwell)

Fair point! But you have to see, that we are not talking about a AAA-Game from a big publisher, where all features of the game needs to work. Our games here are mostly just a 'clusterfuck' of renders and some animations. If those games are not running out-of-the-box with wine, than you should use the recommended OS by the game developer.

All Unity game developer can already provide a native Mac and Linux version, but they don't to it, because the they don't want to support three platforms at once...(I personally don't like it, because some new unity features are not supported in Wine and require .dll's only Windows Meda Foundation provides. -> see unity forum)

You are right to 100% and I support a full installation guide for every available distro - But this brings us back to the previous question, which distro do we support and which not. And of course there is still Faerin....:confused:
But we don't need installation guides for different distros. Just replace apt-get with yum, pacman, emerge, zipper etc... PS, even problems with animation might be Debian-only issue, as there is problem with multiarch support for gstreamer packages on Debian (and accordingly for all distros made on base of it).

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
even problems with animation might be Debian-only issue, as there is problem with multiarch support for gstreamer packages on Debian (and accordingly for all distros made on base of it).
And how do you explain the same animation issue on MacOS? Are they also using gstreamer, like all top 10 linux distros?

The animation problem might be gstreamer related, but I did not find a substitute for it.:confused:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
And how do you explain the same animation issue on MacOS? Are they also using gstreamer, like all top 10 linux distros?

The animation problem might be gstreamer related, but I did not find a substitute for it.:confused:
When animations trigger game asks for codec, which will play them. By default Wine calls library wingstreamer which in turn calls gstreamer codecs. For some reason, it asks for i-386 gstreame uggly. All of this is non issue on Mac, as it doesn't use gstreamer and winegstreamer by default.
I recollect vaguely, there is some problem with multiarch support in Debian, when it comes to gstreamer. You cant have 32 bit uggly set alongside 64 set... You may try to experiment with non-Debian distros to see, atm I don't have spare machine to try, but I might experiment in few weeks (mid January).

Hopefully, once game gets finished, it will be ported, so all this will be obsolete :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cold_arctus

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I would recommend some minor changes:
Red text: Things you can delete.
Green text: Something "new" to add.
Notes: Are just some background information and not for the installation guide.

"Animations work with Wine Staging (only in windowed-mode!) 3.19." -> Note: Wine-Staging is a "bleeding edge" version, updated every two weeks.
"Get the latest Mac version here:
" switch link to:
[Add: "Get the latest Linux version and install instruction here: ]

"For Linux users:
If you need to check to see which architecture your version of Wine is, please visit this link
for assistance:
If videos don’t play on Linux, try disabling winegstreamer.dll in Wine:
1. Start winecfg.
2. Add from library tab the winegstreamer.dll.

3. Choose winegstreamer.dll again from list and click EDIT -> Set to deactivate
Note:
1. Wine installs 64bit versions by default (you need to activate the 32bit architecture for 32bit packages). Starting Wine for the first time will always create a 64bit prefix/bottle, if not explicit changed by you. However, Man of the House runs on both 32bit and 64bit prefix.
2. Videos not playing part is already mentioned under "Troubleshooting/FAQ"

For Mac users:
You can download this Mac command script to launch MotH under wine: .
You will need to edit it with the location of Wine Staging, or use Wine Staging 3.19 and put it in /Applications (the default installation location). To Use, unzip and drop it into the MotH folder. Double click to launch.

(FAQ part)
The videos don’t play on Linux
Try disabling winegstreamer.dll and set quartz as native in Wine:
1. Start winecfg.
2. Add from library tab the winegstreamer.dll.
3. Choose winegstreamer.dll again from list and click EDIT -> Set to deactivate.
4. Choose *quartz from list and click EDIT -> Set to native.
5. Start MotH in windowed-mode.

[Add: Wine window doesn't respond/freeze after switching to Desktop
Try unmark window-decoration in Wine:
1. Start winecfg.
2. Switch to tab "Graphics".
3. Unmark "allow window-decoration".
]
I've added that to the revised installation guide and it's been submitted to Faerin for inclusion in the next update. You guys have been a huge help. So much thanks to the both of you.
Some comments on these:

Don't remove references to Wine Staging 3.19. It works with that version, but it's not guaranteed to work with future versions. It worked with 2.21, but didn't work with some earlier 3.x versions. That's why I specified 2.21 in the earlier guide.

This guide is a step-by-step guide for people who don't know what they're doing. Best to keep the direct link to Wine Staging 3.19.

The Mac command script changes above shouldn't be taken. There are 2 ways to do it - use any working Wine Staging, placed wherever you want, and edit the command script. Or use Wine Staging 3.19 installed in /Applications, and don't edit the command script. And I don't like "To use" changed to "Use". It's not a command to use it, it's instructions on how to use it.

The "Wine window doesn't respond" section - this only works for Linux. On MacOS, you need to move the window after it freezes.

Reactions: Thermophob

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Some comments on these:

Don't remove references to Wine Staging 3.19. It works with that version, but it's not guaranteed to work with future versions. It worked with 2.21, but didn't work with some earlier 3.x versions. That's why I specified 2.21 in the earlier guide.

This guide is a step-by-step guide for people who don't know what they're doing. Best to keep the direct link to Wine Staging 3.19.

The Mac command script changes above shouldn't be taken. There are 2 ways to do it - use any working Wine Staging, placed wherever you want, and edit the command script. Or use Wine Staging 3.19 installed in /Applications, and don't edit the command script. And I don't like "To use" changed to "Use". It's not a command to use it, it's instructions on how to use it.

The "Wine window doesn't respond" section - this only works for Linux. On MacOS, you need to move the window after it freezes.

Ok.. in this way, how you explained it now, its more understandable as before (for me at least!). :D Thank you for the clarification on the MacOS part.

@Sycho We should consider @Thermophob 's proposal and add two different instructions: one for Macs and one for Linux only. This way it will be less confusing and easier to maintain for future changes.

@goobdoob Do you agree?

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Some comments on these:

Don't worry, nothing will be changed in Mac OS installation guide. changes were only about Linux part. So far, MOTH was working on Linux under any Wine. I was using stagging, developing, stable, version shipped by default with Debian distors... :) If you wish to add something here is current version. You can send it Faerin or to somebody of testers. (Sycho, Cybernetic, ThAdEaDmAn, larry or me),

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Ok.. in this way, how you explained it now, its more understandable as before (for me at least!). :D Thank you for the clarification on the MacOS part.

@Sycho We should consider @Thermophob 's proposal and add two different instructions: one for Macs and one for Linux only. This way it will be less confusing and easier to maintain for future changes.

@goobdoob Do you agree?
Sure, I'm OK with that.

Don't worry, nothing will be changed in Mac OS installation guide. changes were only about Linux part. So far, MOTH was working on Linux under any Wine. I was using stagging, developing, stable, version shipped by default with Debian distors... :) If you wish to add something here is current version. You can send it Faerin or to somebody of testers. (Sycho, Cybernetic, ThAdEaDmAn, larry or me),
2 comments on the attached guide:
  • The link to Wine Staging is missing. I only see this:
Animations work with with Wine Staging (only in windowed-mode!). Get the Mac version here:
"Get the latest Mac version here:
  • The section in the FAQ about the wine window freezing only works on Linux. On MacOS you need to move the window to get it to unfreeze.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
You could have told me that you are a member of the gang! :eek: Now I will like, that I behaved like a total douche! :confused:
Not cool, mate! :LOL:

EDIT: ok... I calmed down.

The guide still has some double wording in it, like "with with" etc..

But you need to explain to me what the difference between winecfg and winecfg --gui is? Both commends to the same in Ubuntu (open the winecfg gui). Also "Hold ALT+F2"/"FN+ALT+F2" does nothing in Ubuntu. To open the terminal in Ubuntu you need to hold CTRL+ALT+T.

The most important thing we forget to add into the guide is, that the Windows setting needs to be Windwos 7 and not Window 10 (I never tested Windows 8 or 8.1) in winecfg.

Last edited:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Sure, I'm OK with that.

• The section in the FAQ about the wine window freezing only works on Linux. On MacOS you need to move the window to get it to unfreeze.
It's lost due to formatting I guess. I wanted to send you installation in .docx format, but forum software doesn't allow it.
Download links are here:

Do you know where 3.19 can be downloaded? On WineHQ they offer 3.20 and stable 3.03.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
It's lost due to formatting I guess. I wanted to send you installation in .docx format, but forum software doesn't allow it.
Download links are here:

Do you know where 3.19 can be downloaded? On WineHQ they offer 3.20 and stable 3.03.
here

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Sure, I'm OK with that.

I would agree with that as well so it doesn't confuse players on which steps to take depending on the OS they're using.

Last edited:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Also "Hold ALT+F2"/"FN+ALT+F2" does nothing in Ubuntu.
I didn't meant hold as Fn, but as verb to hold. It will be fixed to type. Alt+F2 is universal application launcher in all desktop environments (KDE, Gnome, Xfce)... Same as Alt+F4 is closing windows down...

To open the terminal in Ubuntu you need to hold CTRL+ALT+T.
You don't need to run terminal. It's not Ubuntu specific shortcut, btw. It's how terminal is launched in Gnome. If you have any other *buntu, shortcat is useless as it is environment specific shortcut.

Anyway,
newest version

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I didn't meant hold as Fn, but as verb to hold. It will be fixed to type. Alt+F2 is universal application launcher in all desktop environments (KDE, Gnome, Xfce)... Same as Alt+F4 is closing windows down...

You don't need to run terminal. It's not Ubuntu specific shortcut, btw. It's how terminal is launched in Gnome. If you have any other *buntu, shortcat is useless as it is environment specific shortcut.

Anyway,
newest version
I'm aware of this... i mentioned Fn, because on a laptop the F1-F12 buttons have a primary and secondary function (changeable in Bios). :whistle:

Anyway, here some mistakes I found:

Spelling correction see part "Installation guide for Linux": search for "aditional" and change it to "additional"; "instad" change to "instead"; "see troubleshooting section at end this of guide" switch to "at end of this guide"

Troubleshooting videos don't play (goes for Mac and Linux)

[Add:] Choose Windows 7 in wincfg GUI.
1. Start winecfg GUI.
2. Tab "Application"
3. Choose Windows 7 in "Windows-Version"
4. Start MotH in windowed-mode

Pls. don't hate me for this, but how about this:

1. Start winecfg GUI. Press Alt+F2, or via Terminal, and type: winecfg --gui (just in case for people, where Alt+F2 do not work) :unsure:

EDIT: But this is up to you guys ;)

Last edited:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
I'm aware of this... i mentioned Fn, because on a laptop the F1-F12 buttons have a primary and secondary function (changeable in Bios). :whistle:
That's true, but I am not sure why this is important. By Alt+F2 you will get launcher in all Linux Desktop Environments, even in some little used Window managers, like IceWM. This is cleaner way than terminal, as process is not tied to console, and it's fast.

Anyway, here some mistakes I found:

Spelling correction see part "Installation guide for Linux": search for "aditional" and change it to "additional"; "instad" change to "instead"; "see troubleshooting section at end this of guide" switch to "at end of this guide"
Thanks.

Troubleshooting videos don't play (goes for Mac and Linux)

[Add:] Choose Windows 7 in wincfg GUI.
1. Start winecfg GUI.
2. Tab "Application"
3. Choose Windows 7 in "Windows-Version"
4. Start MotH in windowed-mode

Pls. don't hate me for this, but how about this:

1. Start winecfg GUI. Press Alt+F2, or via Terminal, and type: winecfg --gui (just in case for people, where Alt+F2 do not work) :unsure:

EDIT: But this is up to you guys ;)
Ok, I will add Windows 7. I think it is chosen by default, but It's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
That's true, but I am not sure why this is important. By Alt+F2 you will get launcher in all Linux Desktop Environments, even in some little used Window managers, like IceWM. This is cleaner way than terminal, as process is not tied to console, and it's fast.
God damnit! I finally figured out what you mean by launcher!! :eek: *yeah, throw a rock after me!* :cautious:

It is the first time I opened that damn thing (never used it before!), because F2 is set as second function and pressing Alt+F2 or FN+Alt+F2 opened nothing! But Alt+FN+F2 opened the launcher! *yeah, throw another rock after me!* [For someone like me, who prefers the terminal, its faster as to start the launcher... (its a matter of taste).]

Is this a typo: winecfg -gui? Before it was winecfg --gui. :unsure:

However, typing winecfg -gui, winecfg --gui or only winecfg into the launcher will open the wine configuration (at least on my system. So, its up to you to decide, what you want to use. :)).

Sorry again! :confused:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Is this a typo: winecfg -gui? Before it was winecfg --gui. :unsure:

However, typing winecfg -gui, winecfg --gui or only winecfg into the launcher will open the wine configuration (at least on my system. So, its up to you to decide, what you want to use. :)).
Lol... I must be old, I guess. I remember when winecfg was cli, and it's gui was called with option --gui. I tried it now without suffix, and it works. (I started using Ubuntu in 2006). winecfg -gui was typo, but as it works too... why changing :D If ain't broken don't fix it. :D Btw, you can use gui for winetricks with same parameter (winetricks --gui)

Last edited:
Reactions: cold_arctus

Neters

Mar 16, 2018
When I run the game this happens

Switching to resolution 1280x720 failed, trying lower one
Switching to resolution 1280x720 failed, trying lower one
All resolution switches have failed
Screen: DX11 could not switch resolution (1280x720 fs=1 hz=0)

How to fix it