"Male Domination" and "Female Domination" tags are SO CONFUSING!

JAMman92

May 17, 2020
I just don't get it when it comes to these 2 tags.

Does Male Domination imply Female dominating a Male or a Female being dominated by a Male?
Does Female Domination imply Male dominating a Female or a Female dominating a Male?
The langauge being used could apply both meanings to both tags, it doesn't help that there are some mistags too just to further confuse the issue.

shark_inna_hat

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2018
Female domination [Used when a character submits to a female character via domination.]
Male Domination [Used when a character submits to a male character via domination.]
Source:
https://f95zone.to/threads/tags-rules-and-list-updated-2021-05-02.10394/

In other words:
Female domination refers to a situation where a female character is in the dominating role (top/dom/master).
Male domination refers to a situation where a male character is in the dominating role (top/dom/master).
This could refer to both M/F, F/F, and M/M scenarios, it doesn't matter who the dominated (sub/bottom) party is, it just describes who is in the dominating (master/top) role.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
It isn't complicated for me, but if you need a way to remember it, think that "Femdom" is short for "Female Domination" and everyone and their moms knows that Femdom means a woman dominating some one else, usually a man.

kzaazul

Aug 4, 2020
I don't think the tags are complicated. The only issue I see is that the tags don't specify if the player is dom, sub or neither. The best you can do is use "male domination"+ "male protaginist" + exclude "gay".

The tag system is not perfect, as it doesn't always inform what your character is subject to in-game (for example, Twelve Days of Christmas has the "gay" tag but the player character doesn't engage in gay sex, just may watch it) nor if the content is avoidable or not (though many devs do inform if gay or NTR content are avoidable in their game's description), but it seems to work most of the times.

Reactions: FakeDima and F4C430

Regretter

Jun 24, 2017
Male Domination: When men do the dominating
Female Domination: When women do the dominating

the tags don't care if the dominator is the MC or someone else as long as there is domination available in the game

baxtus

Apr 15, 2021
I just don't get it when it comes to these 2 tags.

Does Male Domination imply Female dominating a Male or a Female being dominated by a Male?
Does Female Domination imply Male dominating a Female or a Female dominating a Male?
The langauge being used could apply both meanings to both tags, it doesn't help that there are some mistags too just to further confuse the issue.
Female Domination is when a Female is Dominating, nothing about the sub, the sub can be male or female, cis or trans

javier_himura

Jun 23, 2017
The tags do not specify if an action is performed by the MC or on the MC. In the case of female domination and male domination usually if is the first and it also has a male character then the MC is the sub because female domination for obvious reason can't have a male dom.

In most games with male characters and female domination tags, this is usually son small scenes or one path among any unless the whole game is about female domination. Personally I can tolerate the first and the second I don't particularly find it interesting but I suppose if someone wants to look specifically for those games it will be hard using tags.

This problem with not definite with tags what role has the MC on sexual actions is especially problematic with lesbian content. 99% of the time lesbian tag means son lesbian scene in a game with a male main character and if the game has a female main character there is no way to check with the tags if the MC both interact with women and men or just women. Finding a lesbian-only game is not possible with tags.

And then we have probably the rarest combination: Female main character game with female domination, AKA lezdom. There is any lesbian-only game with lezdom content? Especially with the female MC being the dom?

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
And then we have probably the rarest combination: Female main character game with female domination, AKA lezdom. There is any lesbian-only game with lezdom content? Especially with the female MC being the dom?
Mistress vs. Slave: avoidable hetero content afaik, heavy focus on lezdom
Ruin Me: Female MC is an option, MC has a dom role
Unholy Arts: Lesbian-only (plus optional futa) sex-fight game with dom/sub mechanics
Death's Punishment: Lesbian-only (afaik) game with dom or sub MC

There are also lezdom games with sub MC: 3072, New Beijing, The Way Out

Reactions: javier_himura

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clear and easy to understand, you're just trying to make it complicated instead of just stopping to think about it.

The real problem lies in the fact that whomever is adding tags just adds whatever they think will get the most clicks, or so it seems most of the time.

Pervtron3000

Jan 3, 2019
I just found this after making a new thread. (Don't blame me, it didn't show up for me until AFTER I created the thread)

If I may be so bold as to make a suggesting. It would be much more explicitly clear to those tagging their content if the tags used verbs such as 'being'.
Ex: [Female being dominated]

Or I'm not sure if other people search tags like I do, but in particular I'm more interested from the perspective of the main character.
So if the game is [Female Protagonist] and [Female Being Dominated], what I'm really interested in is, the main character being dominated. Is this how other people use these tags to search? Or do we really care if theres some side details where somebody else's boyfriend is dominant in their relationship? Personally I wouldn't really care about that. For me the relevance is how the domination relates to the main character/me.
So maybe even have tags like [Female MC Dommed By Male(s)], [Female MC Dommed By Female(s)], [Male MC Dommed By Female(s)], [Male MC Dommed By Male(s)]

(edit: or you know, also 'Doms' instead of 'Dommed' if that is your cup of tea :cool:)