Make a Renpy game

RioTsukatsuki

Mar 1, 2023
Hello!

I was thinking of doing a Renpy game during my free time because it sounds fun.
I was wondering how difficult it is to make a good VN, and what problems I will eventually encounter.
I have some experience in a few programming languages already so I should (hopefully) not having many problems in that area.
What about the rest? If you could give me an advice, what would it be?

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
The renpy engine comes with a couple of sample games (tutorials) that allow you to jump right into making your game.

Emperor4919

Apr 23, 2024
The link osanaiko supplied you with is a good guide to know what to expect and how to start. RenPy is an excellent choice for a visual novel. Since you already have delved into programming, I expect you to use this engine without problems.

What makes a visual novel good is subjective. Some people enjoy a good story and can see through bad art, others might not even try a game with art they don't like. It's a mixture of multiple elements.

What would you define as a "good" game? If I were a developer, a "good" game would be one where I made a profit after my initial investment (time and money), and one my target audience enjoys playing.

RioTsukatsuki

Mar 1, 2023
Thank you, this is very useful

What would you define as a "good" game? If I were a developer, a "good" game would be one where I made a profit after my initial investment (time and money), and one my target audience enjoys playing.
I just want to make something enjoyable for others, I'm very aware I won't make any profit with my first game

Reactions: osanaiko

thebwolf

Jul 7, 2021
yeah i been thinking about making a game aswell been making assets for like 3 different games i just got Renpy so im going though the tutorial but if there is anyone that can tell be some tricks for it

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
1. Keep it simple for your first project. target a basic KN / VN without funky free roam sandbox or mini games or complex stats

2. keep it short, not a multiyear epic for your first game.

3. creating the art assets will take the vast majority of the time

4. renpy docs are technically accurate, but lack any useful examples. it's better to search for answers in forums or ask questions here.

5. careful of answers in the renpy offiical forum, there's lots of very old stuff that is no longer applicable (pre-2015)

6. get a proofreader / alpha testers for every release, even if it delays you by a few weeks. quality is much better than fast release.

RioTsukatsuki

Mar 1, 2023
I'll follow your tips! I won't make something crazy in the first place, just thinking about freeroaming give me headache lol

For the art assets, i'm currently learning how to use the studio of honey select 2, this may be ambitious but i'd rather learn quickly how to use it now than delay it