• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py LowFPS\Sluttering

Eeagle

Jul 28, 2017
Straight to the point - in games like (NSFW, Power Vacuum) i have an issue with fps dropping to 10-15 in animated scenes, not all of them, but still in a good amount.
Light version of this with a game(LessonsInLove) - when game just slutters a bit in static gameplay.(Not all the time).

And i played these games before, and those problems didnt occur at that time.And in a bunch of other games on the same RenPy(or actual games at all)engine - i dont have problems at all.

Tips from this topic didnt help me.
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-games-lagging-unresponsive.10900/

Drivers for GPU are latest.Specs will be below.I am confused.Please help.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Win 7?, that could be a lot of things really you might even be running with legacy AMD drivers.

I'm assuming that changing the renpy renderer didn't help (since you linked that other thread).

Personally to be sure it isn't an AMD issue I would remove your gpu and plug your monitor to the motherboard, this way you will run with intel graphics and eliminate if amd is actually the issue.

If that's the case then make sure that you are actually using the latest AMD drivers and not just some generic legacy ones that have been deprecated.

You might be required to upgrade your SO if you can't find proper drivers for win7, dealing with old hardware can be a nightmare as many things stopped being supported throughout the years.

drashypoo

Mar 10, 2018
Are you running game in fullscreen or windowed? same lag?
Possible antivirus, does it kick in when game is attempting to run animations?
As mentioned above, GPU drivers, quite high on possible causes.

Your pc "should" run those games quite well (my old pc is lower spec, tho tweaked win10)

Eeagle

Jul 28, 2017
Win 7?, that could be a lot of things really you might even be running with legacy AMD drivers.

I'm assuming that changing the renpy renderer didn't help (since you linked that other thread).

Personally to be sure it isn't an AMD issue I would remove your gpu and plug your monitor to the motherboard, this way you will run with intel graphics and eliminate if amd is actually the issue.

If that's the case then make sure that you are actually using the latest AMD drivers and not just some generic legacy ones that have been deprecated.

You might be required to upgrade your SO if you can't find proper drivers for win7, dealing with old hardware can be a nightmare as many things stopped being supported throughout the years.
I have an AMD tool that auto updates drivers, but now it failes to update for some reason.
Still, i visited the AMD site and did not find my videocard among the list, so - either it no longer get updates, or it fully through the tool.
Plugging ito the motherboard is bad idea, i used to play games on RenPy on internal graphics already, and it gets even worse.
Either way, why only these games get lag and many other - dont?If it is AMD problem, it should be in all games?

Eeagle

Jul 28, 2017
Are you running game in fullscreen or windowed? same lag?
Possible antivirus, does it kick in when game is attempting to run animations?
As mentioned above, GPU drivers, quite high on possible causes.

Your pc "should" run those games quite well (my old pc is lower spec, tho tweaked win10)
Same lag in window and fullscreen.Not using antivirus.
...Should run those games?Eh...these are half games at all, they dont need much...right?Its a RenPy ffs, or i dont know anything at all at this point.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I have an AMD tool that auto updates drivers, but now it failes to update for some reason.
Yeah that's not a good sign, probably this tool already doesn't support your system combo (old gpu+win7).
Still, i visited the AMD site and did not find my videocard among the list, so - either it no longer get updates, or it fully through the tool.
You sure you know what gpu you have? in your specs it just say 200 series so I can't be sure which one but there are plenty of different 200 drivers .
If it is AMD problem, it should be in all games?
Well games have different versions of renpy, some older games might have more/less issues depending on what libs they are using to playback things.

Be wary that "animations" in renpy are in most cases just videos played by ffmed. So intalling VLC might help with missing codecs but that is a long shot.

Considering renpy has a history of issues with old amd hardware/drivers, from glitched text to laggy videos so I'm just assuming it to be the most probable cause which is why it would be good to run some tests with the integrated graphics just to be sure before taking more drastic measures like updating your SO to see if they have more driver versions available.

drashypoo

Mar 10, 2018
Same lag in window and fullscreen.Not using antivirus.
...Should run those games?Eh...these are half games at all, they dont need much...right?Its a RenPy ffs, or i dont know anything at all at this point.
yes, "should" as some animations are made with 15fps / 30fps / 60fps and when renpy loads then it can lag your pc.
Other difference between renpy is literally builds, on which renpy build the game is made

Eeagle

Jul 28, 2017
You sure you know what gpu you have? in your specs it just say 200 series so I can't be sure which one but there are plenty of different 200 drivers .
Its Sapphire hd 7770(wrote it down when bought the card), and judging by the google i already have latest driver dated 6/5/21, AMD tool says the same, amd site says the same.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Its Sapphire hd 7770(wrote it down when bought the card), and judging by the google i already have latest driver dated 6/5/21, AMD tool says the same, amd site says the same.
Why your system specs say r7 200 series then? that's basically another gpu...

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Beats me.
Well it's most likely a driver issue if your system can't even identify what is your gpu...

I would take a better look inside your pc to see if you are truly using a 7770, if so seem to be the right drivers. Otherwise you should get R7 200 drivers

Eeagle

Jul 28, 2017
Well it's most likely a driver issue if your system can't even identify what is your gpu...

I would take a better look inside your pc to see if you are truly using a 7770, if so seem to be the right drivers. Otherwise you should get R7 200 drivers
Installed them while you replied - didnt work.Looked at the card - indeed it is Sapphire HD 7770 Ghz edition.
Writing now while plugged in the motherboard, results on the screen.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Installed them while you replied - didnt work.Looked at the card - indeed it is Sapphire HD 7770 Ghz edition.
Writing now while plugged in the motherboard, results on the screen.
Install .
If it still doesn't work, then you are probably out of luck aside from playing the games on a virtual machine or upgrading your operational system.

Eeagle

Jul 28, 2017
Install .
If it still doesn't work, then you are probably out of luck aside from playing the games on a virtual machine or upgrading your operational system.
They are for XP, i got Win7.

Edit:And now AMD tool shows that driver update available, but i cannot update because *Update fail*...ugh.
Edit2: wtf, Win7 drivers just appeared out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018
Once you sort out your newly-acquired driver problem, it won't hurt to try using the file attached to this post (RPY file goes into game's "game" folder) and switching renderers again (Shift+G).

The old ones should be less taxing if you can't solve the performance issue with driver updates, and the vast majority of Renpy games so far still doesn't do anything that'd make the old renderers crash (and in case it does, simply delete this file).

Eeagle

Jul 28, 2017
Once you sort out your newly-acquired driver problem, it won't hurt to try using the file attached to this post (RPY file goes into game's "game" folder) and switching renderers again (Shift+G).

The old ones should be less taxing if you can't solve the performance issue with driver updates, and the vast majority of Renpy games so far still doesn't do anything that'd make the old renderers crash (and in case it does, simply delete this file).
Frankly, i dont know how to solve driver problem, official site doesnt have latest update for my card, and AMD tool fails to update.
Tried Driver Booster, didnt help either(it broken drivers for the phone to be usb`ed to pc).

File didnt help, but i noticed that my CPU keeps loading at 70% at the lagging scenes, this cant be good.