Ren'Py Abandoned Lovely Sails [v0.4.1B] [SnowShoes]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
That fixed it! Thanks man, you were already on top of it. I do need to report an issue though. In Karen's level 2 scene when she takes you to her tent after talking to the old lady because you teased her about your reward. The tent background loads and then it throws an error trying to load Karen's image. I'm hoping it's something as easy as a bad file name, but I've no idea how to fix that locally.
Just an error in declaration T.T. So for 0.2.x, I declared [image level2_teachA = "scenes/04_teach_a.png"], the actual file is ["03_teach_a.png"]. I know you can console edit values for variables, but I'm unsure if simply typing level2_teachA = "scenes/03_teach_a.png" will work?

Scene names are very sloppy ATM. After 0.3.0, I'll go back and come up with a better naming scheme as I slowly work in additional animations (most of what exists is just 1/2 stills, but that's just mainly for scene placeholder purposes). I put a blog up, but basically I wanted to prioritizing events this upcoming build so players will have a better sense of progression. 0.4.0 is beginning work on hub scenes, redoing old scenes with animations, build up cooking mechanics.

As a aside, still trying to figure out how to do patches with Renpy T.T. I know it's possible since SuperPowered does it, but the actual references I've found are spotty.

TheoWolf3

Sep 19, 2017
Thank you. I will try that. I have another bug to report if you'd like to look at it. Seems like it might be a bit more of a head scratcher but I have a work around if you're busy. I found that when I tried to build a fishing area on the beach (region 6) the game throws an error when trying to load the new page with the progress of the build. It did not however though an error when I went to the coast to try to build it (doesn't specify an error type). It may be because I already have something built on at the beach, the cooking stuff. But as I said I can build it at the coast just fine so it's not game breaking, just if you have the time maybe you can have a look. I'll get you any files you'd like.

Edit: Just a follow up. I couldn't just change the variable in game with the console. At least not that way. Another issue is that every time I talk to Alicia it keeps launching the cooking test event, and gives me the level up point when I'm done. I'd wager a variable that marks it as finished isn't getting updated.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
Thank you. I will try that. I have another bug to report if you'd like to look at it. Seems like it might be a bit more of a head scratcher but I have a work around if you're busy. I found that when I tried to build a fishing area on the beach (region 6) the game throws an error when trying to load the new page with the progress of the build. It did not however though an error when I went to the coast to try to build it (doesn't specify an error type). It may be because I already have something built on at the beach, the cooking stuff. But as I said I can build it at the coast just fine so it's not game breaking, just if you have the time maybe you can have a look. I'll get you any files you'd like.

Edit: Just a follow up. I couldn't just change the variable in game with the console. At least not that way. Another issue is that every time I talk to Alicia it keeps launching the cooking test event, and gives me the level up point when I'm done. I'd wager a variable that marks it as finished isn't getting updated.
Oh no, a lot of the errors aren't too hard to correct once I'm able to reproduce them. It's just spotting them that's rough, because as I said there's so many variables to account for T.T. My newbie mistake was trying to throw every mechanic in asap, as opposed to slowly over several builds, but I didn't want to want to spend the entirety of my patreon teasing gameplay mechanics.

All this is very helpful! I'll be sure to get to it tonigh and have it ready for the upcoming build.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

So since 95% of what gets posted here is public, here's a little glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes. One of the minor rewards I'm trying to do for early supporters is input in the clothing system (the benefit of having few supporters lol). For now it's a subtle outfit with some dialogue attached, but the hope is if the stretch goals get met I can do something more outta the box in cgs.
Nothing more to preface, so here's my quick mockup of one suggestion.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This will be polished off in 0.4.0 (the next next build) as updates to that mechanic probably won't make it in 0.3.0. This should give me some time to also improve Meryl's base sprite and figure out how I want to quickly implement it as Meryl isn't a Potential Romance Option in the base game.

---

Anyhow 0.3.0 progress is taking a break for the weekend as I won't be in town =(. Hope to wrap up NPC events and the rest of the interactions, by next week and at least 2 level 3 scenes.

----

Also there's a few remaining bugs in 0.2.1. Karen's level 2 scene and constructing a "Fishing" structure. Got in contact with someone about how to patch without having to redownload the whole game so patching will be implemented in 0.3.0 on!

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

So if you haven't been following my background, the TLDR of my artistic background is as a pen and paper sketcher. As such, things like coloring, shading, and slight inconsistencies can be masked with a bunch of scribble strokes lol.
Unfortunately that sticks out like a sore thumb in digital art. As someone still trying to figure out all the kinks of digital art, it's hard finding a consistent style as I'm constantly finding new techniques.

Anyhow, I digress. Here's a WIP for Karen's level 3 scene (still hazy on the script for the entire event). Generally I try to blend in the shading, but the brush settings I have in Manga Studio allow for smoother strokes to where the second picture looks pretty nice as well (I'm leaning towards this).

So hard to decide!

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
Hey all!

I've updated the main post with Megalinks to reflect the new 0.3.1 build (along with some screenshots). Entire changelog in the link here ( ).

johndoe1545

Resident Head-Patters
Donor
May 5, 2017
anyone has list of stuff i can cheat with? too lazy to forage

Shaggster

Dec 28, 2016
The health decay is broken, that or I don't know how to play haha. I have enough food for days but everyone kicks the bucket

georgetakei

May 8, 2017
I'm stuck at the "sloth event" minigame. The puzzle seem to be solved and nothing happens :/
Anyone else having this issue?

Edit : It was upside-down xD, i'm an idiot

Reactions: Deckmaster

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
anyone has list of stuff i can cheat with? too lazy to forage
Hi there! Apologies for grind, I'm trying to include a number of minigames and options to get resources to break the monotony (also have to rebalance it at the end). You can set your general resources with:
  • $ food_raw = #
  • $ food_fresh = #
  • $ res_wood = #
  • $ res_metal = #
  • $ res_cloth = #
  • $ res_token = #
  • $ res_dye = #
  • $ res_circuit = #
That said, I don't want to string you along. I'm not too sure the game will be worthwhile for you if the sex scenes are your only interest. Only 10 semi-fleshed out H-scenes ATM and I still plan on redesigning those with better dialogue, animations, etc (hard to really have everything to where I want it with the time-constraints of being a solo dev). A plan for a Trainer system is in cards, so hopefully you'll enjoy the game more once that's developed.

The health decay is broken, that or I don't know how to play haha. I have enough food for days but everyone kicks the bucket
Hmm, is health dropping with Fresh food still in stock? There's two food resources and I tried to put in a couple ways of explaining that hah. Gonna look into more ideas on how to do this as I understand the game is not kind to new players.

Edit: Someone reported a similar issue. I'm assuming I have a food_fresh in place of a food_raw somewhere, so sorry about that!

I'm stuck at the "sloth event" minigame. The puzzle seem to be solved and nothing happens :/
Anyone else having this issue?

Edit : It was upside-down XD, i'm an idiot
Sorry it's pretty unclear in that regard T.T. The puzzle implementation wasn't too well-thought, I just put it in as a feeler for a potential new minigame mechanic.

====
On a personal note, I want to thank you all for your feedback. Most of the criticism drives me to do better and the kind words help me through motivational droughts. Would be nice if some of you migrated comments over to the Patreon page (it's still a graveyard T.T), but alas the struggles of a new dev.

Ozygator

Donor
Oct 15, 2016
Anyone figured out how the build function works? There are three slots in each location but once you build something in a slot it shows three hammers above it. Is that a percentage complete? Do you have to have all three location slots with the same item like "cookware" to be complete? The prior version with the completion percentage was much easier to understand than this convoluted process, and the tutorial conversations have not been updated to actually show how it works now.

Baba666777

May 5, 2017
I've just tried this game, I think the build system is a bit buggy. I created a shelter in the camp and then I tried to build a cookware and it all went to hell. No actual error but the shelter disappeared and I'm stuck at 3 hammer on the cookware even after spending lots of energy to build.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
Anyone figured out how the build function works? There are three slots in each location but once you build something in a slot it shows three hammers above it. Is that a percentage complete? Do you have to have all three location slots with the same item like "cookware" to be complete? The prior version with the completion percentage was much easier to understand than this convoluted process, and the tutorial conversations have not been updated to actually show how it works now.
Hi Ozy, another person PM'd me the building bug and I think I know what the issue is off his description (hammering on the new building causes the old to disappear). I redid the code to pass off values in slots (1, 2, 3 for each location at the top) so I'm guessing I have the block that handles building continuation passing off the same value (as opposed to 1,2,3).

This new one, once properly bugfree, should be a bit easier than the old since you're not slot-locked and restricted by screens. Old one I tried to integrate a forum code example into my game so it was a bit a of headache resolving issues, so hopefully I won't run into prolongued issues with this one. I'll get around to updating the tutorials, apologies didn't realize people actually read them -.-.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Baba666777

May 5, 2017
Hi Ozy, another person PM'd me the building bug and I think I know what the issue is off his description (hammering on the new building causes the old to disappear). I redid the code to pass off values in slots (1, 2, 3 for each location at the top) so I'm guessing I have the block that handles building continuation passing off the same value (as opposed to 1,2,3).
The game looks nice, I didn't go far since I encountered this bug but other than that I like it, I wish you good luck ! :)

TheoWolf3

Sep 19, 2017
It seems you are aware of an issue with building stuff. Just wanted to report that I was able to build all 6 of the page 1 structures but once I started the med tent it won't tick down from 6 any time I try to build. To note I did this in the middle of the map (the came) and I used the first slot for the shelter structure. I don't think I'll be able to continue the game this patch if I can't get it built, everyone is so low on health.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
The game looks nice, I didn't go far since I encountered this bug but other than that I like it, I wish you good luck ! :)
Thanks for kind words! Apologies on the bugs. I wish I were a better coder, artist, writer, or promoter, but alas I'm probably only passable in each. It's hard to sell people on a concept, but hopefully you stick around to as the game continues to grow.

It seems you are aware of an issue with building stuff. Just wanted to report that I was able to build all 6 of the page 1 structures but once I started the med tent it won't tick down from 6 any time I try to build. To note I did this in the middle of the map (the came) and I used the first slot for the shelter structure. I don't think I'll be able to continue the game this patch if I can't get it built, everyone is so low on health.
Hey Theo!
I'm not sure if I inadvertently solved that, but I can't seem to replicate that bug in my master build. I just did a quick hotfix on the issues that's been reported so hopefully everything with regards to that has been resolved.

Edit:

Reactions: UncleVT
4.00 star(s) 2 Votes