Unreal Engine Lost Stars [Development Thread]

OrionLegacy72

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2023
Banner02.png

Hello everyone! I am the developer of Lost Stars, a Sci-Fi Adult RPG, I'll be posting development updates and info here for those that want to have more behind the scene content and are curious about how the various features of the game works.

INTRO

Phaeton.png

Lost Stars is Sci-Fi Adult RPG, you start your adventure on Phaeton, a desolated mining asteroid where various groups of Outlaws are constantly fighting to take control of it.

As a Freelancer you'll be hired to complete contracts for those able to afford your services, even if those contracts will often mean doing the Outlaws dirty job by killing the competition.

But survival isn't easy on Phaeton and resources are scarce. While being a gun for hire isn't the most glorious job, worst fate awaits those who confronts the ones in power...

FEATURES & CONTENT
Many core features are already implemented, Quests, Inventory, Character Customization, Factions and Skills and there is quite a bit of content in the game:
  • The first main quest and three side quests.
  • Two types of contracts: bounty and delivery.
  • Dynamic cloth system.
  • Work as a barmaid.
  • The first area to explore freely.
And more!

ScreenSkills.png

That's all for now, I am currently uploading the first public version and I'll post the game as soon as I can.
Here is a link to the Alpha 1.0 :

I'll also write the first Dev Log in the coming days to talk about the GameData System I implemented for the game, which is the most important functionality of the game as everything else relies on it, from items to npcs to quests.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

OrionLegacy72

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2023
Hi everyone!

So I initially planned to take a break today while waiting for Patreon to finally review my page but since I am bored I'll talk about the GameData System a bit earlier than anticipated. As I already said it is the most important system as pretty much everything else relies on it, it is what make my game a game basically and to showcase its usefulness let's use a kinky example with butts!

SadLonelyButt.png

Everything start with the UI: (Well technically it start with a few hundreds lines of code before that but I won't bore you with that.)
Devlog01-01.png

As you can see there is a lot going on, each item in the drop-down menu represent a different data type but for now let's focus on clothes as I want my character to be able to equip a butt plug. For this I first need to create a new cloth and assign it the correct name, values, mesh...
Devlog01-02.png

And now that's where things gets interesting, if I want the player to be able to use this newly created butt plug, they need a way to acquire the item and there is several quick ways of doing it, I can add it to a shop inventory:
Devlog01-05.png

Give it directly to the player as a reward for completing a quest:
Devlog01-04.png

Or add it to the world by using an item spawner:
Devlog01-03.png

For each situation, I created a special node or actor that gives me a list of all the items available for a specific data type so that I can easily and quickly use any type of new item I create.

And voila! that's how I can quickly create and equip a butt plug and turn a sad and lonely butt into a happy butt!

HappyButt.png

Thanks for reading!

SpiteWorks

May 9, 2023
I think the construction of in-editor tools for future development is an extremely good idea, since it forces you to design a content pipeline before actually putting things in game. Is your game Bethesda-rpg inspired?

Reactions: OrionLegacy72

OrionLegacy72

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2023
I think the construction of in-editor tools for future development is an extremely good idea, since it forces you to design a content pipeline before actually putting things in game. Is your game Bethesda-rpg inspired?
Thanks! Yes, I probably spent way too many hours playing their games from Morrowind to Skyrim and especially Skyrim with mods. It inspired me a lot in the design of the game and how to implement some features.

Reactions: TheExordick