Looking to re-create character models in DAZ from other software

thatoneguy256

Aug 8, 2018
Hello all! I'm new to DAZ3D and have been taking the time to learn the basics of the software. My first project I've given myself before creating my own characters is to re-create existing character(s) to learn more. I am currently trying to re-create the eternum characters in DAZ3D and was wondering:

Would it be more beneficial to use the base genesis 8 model and apply morphs to achieve the look that I want? I spent a good chunk of time to try to find existing models that look close but everything feels a bit off(obviously cause it's not 1-to-1 haha)

I could go to Blender but I feel like I can do this in DAZ. Also am not going to try ZBrush haha at least not yet until I am way more comfortable.

Any advice from veterans DAZ users would be very much appreciated!

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
You have 2 options:
1) Use morph packs to try and match the features from your character models to a Genesis 8 or 9 base. There are hundreds of facial morphs available, so while it might take you a long time, you should be able to do a good job.
2) Take the Gen8/9 to Blender and sculpt your facial features. While this would give the best result, you might have problems with expresions. From my tests, when I did something like this, most of the expresions created for the Gen 8 looked REALLY wrong on my sculped/ mudded base.
There is also a Daz tool, called Face Transfer: . I haven't tried it, so I can't say if it would be good or not.

IF all you want is to LEARN how to do characters in Daz, then just keep it simple.
Use the available Daz morphs, get an extra pack of morphs and just get cracking...

Reactions: gremmie

thatoneguy256

Aug 8, 2018
Thank you for replying! I am at the moment just learning since I don't have any background in 3d models. Sadly, with my work, I don't think I have the time at the moment to go all in on sculpting in blender or even zbrush(outside of the cost of the program and not having the skills to do so haha).

Everything you've made sense, the specific face morphs are different than the preset models for G8 or G9 like Eve right?

I actually saw that add on and I tried the free version...maybe I'm not doing it right but it didn't look right with the transfer. I might try it again since it really only does the face and adjust it with the morphs to actually get the shape of the face right.