Looking for some team members for a dating sim (rough alpha attached)

Would you rather see a DCAU game or Maddie Fenton game get made?

• Maddie Fenton

• DCAU

Results are only viewable after voting.

exer

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
A while ago, I attempted to make a parody dating sim based in the world of Batman Beyond. The idea was to make an old school style flash dating sim mixed with SLG visual novel, along the lines of dating sims like Sim Girl/Ganguro Girl and SLG games like Tsuma Shibori and Tsumamigui. There was only one girl, but you could buy different outfits to change her appearance. I did that to help keep the game simple, but have a lot of variety. The idea was that every scene would be able to use any costume. Anyway, I tried making it alone and failed miserably. People didn't like it and I didn't like how it turned out either, so I decided to scrap it.

I'm looking to start the project up again, or possibly use the same basic idea and structure, but use Maddie Fenton as the base character instead. Only this time I want to do it with some help. I'm going to redo the scene CG, because it was pretty bad. I tried balancing the CG art to look like the cartoon, but make it a little more realistic, so I could add a little bit of depth to it, without going overboard or having it look like Something Unlimited. But it just didn't work. It looked way too different from the character artwork and just looked bland. So I want to go with a more cartoon accurate style this time.

I'm mainly looking for someone to do the coding, but a good writer would be great too. The engine doesn't really matter, whatever you're best with. I just don't want to do it in RPG Maker. That's the one engine I have a lot of experience with, but it just doesn't fit well with what I want to do.

I've attached some of the character artwork as sort of samples. I put a poll up to see if people would rather see a Maddie Fenton based game. And if that's the case, then I'll have to do that from the ground up, which wouldn't be too difficult since I'm scrapping almost everything anyway. Attached is Angela who was the main character, and the other two were costumes created based on other characters. One was Felicia Hardy from the 90s Spider-man cartoon that was voted on through a poll on another site, and the other was Black Canary. Attached is a link to the actual game, if you're curious about what I did before, and want a rough idea of what I want the game to be like.

If anyone is interested, let me know. It's just something I've wanted to make for a long time, because it's a genre that's sort of died out, and it's just a shame to me.

Thrownaway13

Lvl 12 - Cutie
Respected User
Former Staff
May 27, 2017
I have some writing samples on here if you look at some of my earliest created threads.

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Reactions: exer

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
It has been a few days, but I hope you are still answering this post.

I would be very interested in helping with this project. I have been doing programming for 11 years, game making for 9, and art/animation for 4 years. I have been working on making my first public NSFW game, but I am more of a do'er not a think'er (I am horribles with staying with one idea) so if you have the ideas, I would be willing to do the work.

I can do SVG art, I can adapt the images from your demo to vector art, I can also use 3D models (or make them), pose them, and use that to help with designing areas and poses.

I don't know about you, but I think think that could help increase the value of your game would be to had special images for special events (such as when you first meat the girl, the image could be a view of her in her apartment, possibly with the door still unlocked so it opens up by accident, she is on the floor moving things around and you get a good view either of her ass or up her dress) and it wouldn't be super hard to have each outfit have it's own pose to help make the outfit look better (some outfit really stand out with certain poses) and it wouldn't be too hard to add in some expression in the face (such as a slight smile when you ask if she needs help moving in). But of course it will add time, but that is the time you can also spend writing storylines. But that may be things to consider for later if the current art state doesn't satisfy (I think the backgrounds look good most of the time, I just get tired of seeing the same pose and face).

I have also worked with making code for unity, to help make it much easier to build a game like this with it. Basically, you can use a bunch of flow charts to describe how locations are connected together (such as with the games I like, you can navigate to different locations like rooms of a house, or a park), and you can describe scenes with graphs (throw in the text you want, any effects such as characters changing expressions, etc.) and it is meant to work without you having to program anything (still prototyping the character system to allow for Visual Novel Like effects, but room/world navigation works, still getting cutscenes code ready).

You mention your concern for trying to improve the look this time, trying to focus on a cartoon look. I am not too sure how well I could make art for you. Adding more costumes and hair to the current static image you have should be easy, if however, you want to play around with making special images, or different poses, I am not too sure how well I would be since I am not used to the art style and not sure about how to represent the body proportions at different view angles. if it interests you, I could make a 3d model (which is ready, I just need to adjust the proportions), use that as a reference image, pose it, draw a sketch on top of the rendering, and then make it a vector image. The only issue with this is, making 2d girls that look good into 3D is gross, because 2D artstyles heavily skew body porportions. So if one starts with a 3D model and try to look 2D, it won't be as stylized (less hard edges) but it will look more organic/natural.

here is an example picture of a 3d drawn 2D (I can't send links yet sense I haven't post three threeds yet)
imgur DOT com/xqqLS0e

if anything I said is of intrest to you, let me know :D

exer

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks everyone for your interest, I'm honestly pretty shocked at how many responses I've gotten. Especially so fast! Normally when I post stuff like this, I get no responses, or it at least takes a month or two. x_X

That being said, I'm currently working on two other projects, with one of them well into full development, and is getting fairly close to being done. I basically have the base game done, and am just filling it with content. With the other getting close to being ready to enter full development, with all of the game completely planned out and scripts getting close to being done. So, I've decided to put this game on the back-burner until I get done with what I'm working on now.

I posted this thinking it would take a while to get a response (if I even got one) and to get the project started, but that is not the case. Everyone seems ready to jump right in! Which is fantastic! I'm glad there's so many people here looking for projects. But I don't want to abandon my current projects to focus more on this one. I'd rather not get spread too thin and end up having all of my projects suffer. Especially since this project requires a ton of work from me, because drawing CG is incredibly time consuming. I also just don't want to be yet another person who works on too many games and none of them get finished.

For anyone curious, my other games are an RPG Maker game using existing CG for one, and another one that I'm using DAZ for that I haven't chosen an engine for. Since I don't have to draw the CG they won't take near as long to do though. I don't need any help with the RPG Maker one, but if people really want to work on something, I could use some help with the DAZ one. Just shoot me PM and let me know. If anyone would like me to let them know when I am ready to pursue this DCAU project, let me know and I'll shoot you a message to see if you're still interested when I do start making it again.

tl;dr This project is being put aside until I at least finish one of the two I'm working on.

Emalthea

Oct 9, 2017
I'm not really a programmer/developer but I've been wanting to make a game for a while now. I mostly create tools for automation, fuzzing, re-encoding stuff, for my hobby/wannabe job. Like if you have a story in text I could write a parser to grab fields, and "re-encode" it from, for example, a word file into renpy automating placement of code, then comb through by hand fixing issues with automation to take workload off.

For the sake of my sanity and inexperience with full out dev work, keep it to an easy high level language like python/java or whatever.

Anway here's a list of what I've worked with in the last 20 days:
C, C#, C+, Powershell, AWK, Bash, x86, php, python2.7 & 3.x, curl