VN Ren'Py Looking for feedback - First VN

Tanami_noon

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2023
Hello,
I've begun developing my first visual novel and released it on itch.io.

The game is centered around cheating. (Netorare/Netorase)

I'd like to ask several questions.
Would it be better to focus and develop one main route, or should I attempt to develop several routes instead?
Currently, there's no sound in my game. Should I prioritize working on the story, or should I implement sounds as soon as possible?
And which software should I use to implement sex sounds?

Finally, if you're curious and decide to play the current game, please let me know what I could improve .
Thanks!

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Tanami_noon,

I started playing your game, and I thought it had potential.
I played as far as the day after the convention, so I don't have a full review.
My initial thought is to focus on the art and routes. I'm not an artist, but more variety in facial reactions would help a lot.
I'm probably telling you something you already know. :giggle:
I know from experience that F95 is a rough place for new devs or can be if you're not prepared. I suggest browsing the games that are similar to yours and getting an idea of what the members are saying. The major thing is clear and definite tags. Be clear upfront on what you want to do in the game, or make it clear you are open to suggestions.
The music is low in priority IMO but that's me. Ambient background sounds are the best. The sex sounds I don't know about.

I'm a proofreader here, and I did see some areas that could be improved, so hit me up if you'd like. :giggle:

Good luck.

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Hello,
I've begun developing my first visual novel and released it on itch.io.

The game is centered around cheating. (Netorare/Netorase)

I'd like to ask several questions.
Would it be better to focus and develop one main route, or should I attempt to develop several routes instead?
Currently, there's no sound in my game. Should I prioritize working on the story, or should I implement sounds as soon as possible?
And which software should I use to implement sex sounds?

Finally, if you're curious and decide to play the current game, please let me know what I could improve .
Thanks!
I concur with the majority of what Saint Blackmoor had pointed out. It is easy for new game devs to get stuck in a tumultuous cycle of scope creep without clearly laying out the action items that need to be prioritized per release cycle.

With that said, I would also second to focus on fleshing out the story and the respective routes that the FMC will have among the other characters that she will interact with over the course of the game.

Maybe also try to focus on the variety of poses and scenes from which the sex scenes are portrayed. Having some scenic varieties and different sex poses also helps to spice up the action in-game and make for more memorable/exhilarating scenes.

Diversity in facial reactions is also a must-have in my book at least. The infamous 'ahegao' face is all too memorable to leave out of the equation and then some ;) :sneaky:

Sex sounds should not be labelled as a priority item for now....stick to ambient sounds and (maybe) the odd moan here and there. Or at least the rhythmic bounce of a cock slapping against the ass sound effect will suffice for now. You can always add in those sex sounds/audio for later in the game when you have first fleshed out the more pressing action items (Re: Character Art/Story Narrative routes with other characters, etc).

be better to focus and develop one main route
My advice would be the former, to begin with. Develop one route, perfect and refine it, and as you go about finalizing said route, see if that route provides an opportunity for expansion into other characters. For example, the main NTR Chad is an older ugly bastard in their 30s/40s and then his dad/uncle gets involved with the FMC at a later point in the game, upon which you can present an option to the player to stick with the main NTR chad route or branch off to different characters as one see fits.

It is just easier to stick with your guns and refine an existing model than try to put too many eggs into your basket and (potentially risk) complicating the gameplay more than it needs to be. Even if your game ultimately has just one route developed, so long as it's a perfectly fleshed-out route, that is all that truly matters in an end product. I've seen many a game (both NTR/non-NTR) where some of the fan base got immediately turned off because the dev wasn't really consistent with how they structured the game's routes with other characters, and some felt too rushed, and so on and so forth...

But overall, I wish you luck with your game. NTR is one of my favourite genres and would be happy to provide further feedback in DMs should you ever need someone to bounce more ideas off of (y):coffee:

P.S. Absolutely love the cosplay elements in your game. The wife gives off such a sultry, sexy and alluring presence in the clothes she wears... :devilish: :love:

Last edited:

massifteetees

Apr 5, 2020
I really like your artstyle! I am easily attracted to unique 2D artstyles, and therefore I'm supportive of your effort! However, I agree with Saint Blackmoor as well. Many new developers easily give up and abandoned their first game early, one reason is they get bombarded by comments questioning their design choices, so you must be clear on what you want to do.

I want to add that NTR is a popular genre, so if you came up with the story and plot without doing much background research into other games, especially on this website, it is very likely that your plot premise has been covered a hundred times. If you can offer an interesting story amongst the many copy-paste NTR games, your game will stand out! Best of luck!

Tanami_noon

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2023
Thank you very much for your replies :)
I'll prioritize adding more facial expressions.
I'll also prioritize ambient background sounds.

For the game, I intend to create a main route centered around netorare.
Then create a second route (at the beginning of the game) centered around netorase.