• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[R>Writer] Paid Looking for a creative writer to help with a roguelike game project

TaintedGenius

Dec 28, 2019
Project:
My game is called NetShag (this is the working title, but it could as well be the final one). Its an erotic roguelike game in which you assemble a harem of monster girls. You are the Dreamwalker: every night when you fall asleep, you travel to uncharted realms, meet mysterious creatures and get into all sorts of trouble.
I've been working on this game in my spare time for two years. The vertical slice is pretty much done (I coded many systems, including dungeon generation, monsters' behaviour, items, effects, narrative, interactive objects, traps, random encounters, and many different utils). The work on adding content is progressing slowly but surely.
You can try out the current build of the game here:

Developer:
You can find me on Discord by the handle of "synthoel".

Looking for:
Writer.

Employment Type:
Paid. Usually I'm offering around 8 cents per word, but for this assignment, which is, I believe, a little unusual, I offer $250 flat fee.

Work commitment:
One off project for now, but in the future I might look for several more orders.

Preferred method of contact:
Discord.

Job Description:
There are a number of actions available to the player in the game, one of which is "talk". When used, the character will say a random phrase and all NPCs who hear it will react in a certain way. There are three "directions" available to the player in terms of talking:
  • pay a compliment;
  • make a joke;
  • say something lewd.
The specific phrase a character will utter depends on their attributes:
  • if they're good-looking (high Appeal), and not stupid (Intelligence >= 2), the phrase will be delivered flawlessly;
  • if they're ugly (low Appeal), they'll fret, stutter, stammer, or just say something bland or cringe-worthy;
  • if they're dumb (Intelligence = 1), they'll say something maximally stupid, and incoherent (remember how it was in Fallout? that's how I want it, right down to the occasional grammar errors).
Important: the phrase must relate to the girl the character is talking to. That is, let's say if the character is talking to a catgirl - then the phrase will reference her feline nature. For example:
  • normal: "I must be feline lucky today, because I've stumbled upon the purrfect blend of beauty and charm", or "If I had to choose between catnip and your company, I'd pick you every time";
  • low Appeal: "You see, um, I couldn't help but notice your, um, your adorable cat ears and, uh, whiskers... They make my heart go, um, d-doki-doki, you know?";
  • low Intelligence: "Hello kitty! Ps-ps-ps!".
There are currently 11 different kinds of monsters in the game, and for each of them I will ask you to compose unique, fitting for them phrases. I will provide images and a brief description of the essence of each species. I need two different phrases for each of the combinations of direction and player characteristics (except for low Intelligence - you only need two of those, as the character will just say something stupid no matter what direction the player chooses). That is, I will need phrases like these for each kind of monster girl:
  • a compliment, delivered perfectly, x2;
  • a compliment, screwed up, x2;
  • a joke, delivered perfectly, x2;
  • a joke, screwed up, x2;
  • lewd phrase, delivered perfectly, x2;
  • lewd phrase, screwed up, x2;
  • silly phrase, x2.
That is, 14 phrases for each kind of monster, or 154 phrases in total. I'm asking you to make them varied enough so that the player doesn't get a feeling like, "Hey, I've heard that phrase before, just for a different monster".

Additional comments:
Before I hire you, I'll ask you to compose one phrase from each category (7 phrases) for catgirl - please message me and I'll give you references. I need this to evaluate your style (and also to pick the best one if there are several interested). Hope thats okay.
Edit: I don't have the capacity to pay for this test assignment, sorry. As an alternative, I'd love to see an example of your work, if you have one to share.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
Just to make sure: the NPCs referred to in the first paragraph are the 11 monster girls? So in total the job is those 154 phrases?