Daz Load Scene without deleting and reloading the same assets?

JohnSheridan

Apr 13, 2018
I have a scene open. I load a scene that I want to work on. The new scene has all the same assets but just different poses and camera angles.
Is there a way for new loaded scene to load faster?
Does it have to:
Clearing the scene
Deleting objects
Loading assets
etc etc etc.
Can't it just move the current assets to their new positions and poses? It would be so much quicker for those of us with horrible computers. lol
Thanks for any advice.
BTW: This community has been amazingly helpful with my noob questions. You guys rock and keep being awesome.

Sunday95

May 15, 2018
What you're describing is basically just an animation.

I don't know much about DAZ, but I'm sure you can just key all the different positions/poses of your objects on the timeline.

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
I don't know much about DAZ, but I'm sure you can just key all the different positions/poses of your objects on the timeline.
That's one way to do it in theory, but wouldn't recommend it in practice. Shouldn't carry neither tone mapping/environmental/render settings, and the idea to have X shots under a same file, hmhm.

Main problem with loading time is more likely tied to the numbers of morphs a Daz figure has (even if you don't use them). You probably want to have one Daz library you use only for your prototype, and a full one you use to iterate/create a new figure.

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
So isn't there a way to 'load' a scene without having to unload all the assets and then load them all back in again?
Nope, far I know. And all 3D softwares are like that.
Problem with Daz is the astronomical amount of figures morphs (especially for pirates).
You need to manage.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I have a scene open. I load a scene that I want to work on. The new scene has all the same assets but just different poses and camera angles.
Not if you works at scene level.

But if your computer is really this slow, you can split your scenes in two, saving the "location" part as a scene, and having the characters and camera as an independent sub scene. This would limit the loading time.
Yet you would still have to delete every elements of the sub scene before you merge the next one, and also to remember what sub scene need what scene.

Another way would be to works with a couple of scripts. One that would only save all the poses and camera(s), and one that would apply what have been saved. But I'm not sure that such script exist, so you would have to write it yourself.

But anyway, if you struggle just by loading a scene, I don't want to imagine the time you need to render, or worse, to simulate.

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
you can split your scenes in two, saving the "location" part as a scene, and having the characters and camera as an independent sub scene. This would limit the loading time.
No, it won't change anything. An overflowed figure with shit tons of morphs will tank loading time, no matter what.
Env assets are irrelevant.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
An overflowed figure with shit tons of morphs will tank loading time, no matter what.
Hmm, haven't thought about the morphs...
The way he presented it (keep everything that haven't moved), I was more seeing his issue as an "I use a fucking big outdoor location assets with tons of details". But yeah, if it's the morphs applied to the figures that are slowing him down, the only solution is a self made script that would only save/apply the "pose controls" properties, bones' transforms and the camera properties.

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
You cannot avoid clearing/deleting but you can make loading faster. Reduce number of morphs in assets (I guess G8). It can be done manually in data/daz/genesis 8 female/morphs (just in case add morphs to zip folder before delete it). You can either use turbo lader from daz store. I've checked - it make big difference, but some old scenes, saved with all morphs try to search deleted morphs.

Saint_RNG

Apr 2, 2018
Since the recent changes to scene loading times (much faster), the quickest (not the safest) way is to close your current scene via the task manager (a good old shut down). This will skip the Clearing and Deleting steps.

This is obviously at your own risk, but I've been doing it systematically for 2-3 years and I've never had any problems.

If you want something safer, there's another solution: if you have a lot of RAM and your scenes aren't too "heavy", you can use the script at the end of to open a new instance of Daz Studio. You can either have your 2 scenes open if you want to work on one while rendering the other, or you can close your scene cleanly (after launching the second instance of course) while opening your other scene from zero (which will load without the Clearing and Deleting steps) in the second instance.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
There is a tool created by F95 member NSware ( :love: ) that lets you move unused figures and their morphs in and out of your Daz library. It is a bit confusing to use but it works very well to return your Daz to "speedy" loading times, and still allows you to restore things if you find you need them.

EDIT: there's a much newer version than the one I got from him before:

https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-morph-manager-2-0-v-1-1-0-10-02-2023.112526/

• Red Heart
Reactions: NSware

NSware

Jul 22, 2018
There is a tool created by F95 member NSware ( :love: ) that lets you move unused figures and their morphs in and out of your Daz library. It is a bit confusing to use but it works very well to return your Daz to "speedy" loading times, and still allows you to restore things if you find you need them.

EDIT: there's a much newer version than the one I got from him before:

https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-morph-manager-2-0-v-1-1-0-10-02-2023.112526/
Thanks for mentioning :love:.
I noticed that I only gave a download link from my website, which is now offline. I have provided a new link (v. 1.0.1.3).

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: osanaiko

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Does it have to:
Clearing the scene
Deleting objects
Loading assets
etc etc etc.
Can't it just move the current assets to their new positions and poses? It would be so much quicker for those of us with horrible computers. lol
Thanks for any advice.
BTW: This community has been amazingly helpful with my noob questions. You guys rock and keep being awesome.

Start learning how to construct scenes in segments and blocks. For example, say you spend hours making the perfect scene. Don't just save it as a scene alone. Save the parts separately as scene subsets as well. So you could save the environment as that alone. And then save the group of characters as a separate subset as well. It's ironic that environments are usually very quick to load, but take a long time to render, depending on the textures and the lighting. But Genesis characters can take a long time to load, but they generally render fast by themselves.

Also, start getting into the habit of saving all the poses as pose presets! They are incredibly light files (like 25kb or so) and so you can have thousands of them in your DAZ "My Library". Then you just have to load a base subset of your characters and apply the poses. Get into the habit of making new folders under your My Library, for all your new scenes. That makes finding the poses much easier.

You can even group your cameras and lights and save them as a scene subset and/or a pose preset as well. Just remember that when grouping cameras, don't lock any of their transforms until after you put them in a group.

In your example above, the initial load will be long, as usual. But once the characters are loaded, you can then just apply poses and they will go very fast. Also, there's tricks you can use to speed things up on lower end computers. For example, when working with more than one genesis model at a time, hide the background scene while posing and working on things. Same goes for those nasty assets that suck up VRAM. Hair especially is terrible for this. If the hair has the option to turn the Preview OFF, use it. Or, just hide the hair while you work on poses, and things will move much smoother. Then turn the hair back on before running simulations or renders.

Something I have done a lot of, to compensate for my shitty GPU, is I render in layers. I'll set a scene up and then render the backgrounds at night using Batch Render, since they usually take the longest time. But the characters I render alone, using DOME and Scene, with no Dome selected. I then light with 3 spots (2 on the character, apx 90 degrees apart, and one providing backlighting) and have the GROUND plane turned on to catch the shadows. You have to have DOME & SCENE selected to get ground shadows, but you can then just deselect the actual Dome image map and use scene lights only.

You can then layer these character images with their shadows, over the backgrounds you rendered before.

Honestly, when you don't have a 4090 Vid card, the next best thing is to learn how to use an Image Editor like Photoshop to allow you to use tricks and techniques to compensate.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Since the recent changes to scene loading times (much faster), the quickest (not the safest) way is to close your current scene via the task manager (a good old shut down). This will skip the Clearing and Deleting steps.

This is obviously at your own risk, but I've been doing it systematically for 2-3 years and I've never had any problems.
I actually tend to keep a folder open on my second monitor with a script in it. Haven't tested it, but you might be able to get away with just the kill.bat file being on the desktop. Does basically the same thing as Task Manager, but with just a double click instead. Usually just close Daz and then hit the script. Works like a charm every time.

I'd give credit, but no idea who made it.

Reactions: Saint_RNG