README Like Totals Recount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Over the past couple of days we detected unusual traffic on a number of accounts, and found that a number of users were taking part in "like boosting". As such, we have removed all likes given by a total of 10 users. In total, the 10 users alone were responsible for over 40,000 likes over the span of a month or so.

Even if you were not taking part in the spamming, you may see your own like count readjusted because of this.

This may seem trivial, however "like boosting" undermines the trust associated with having a high like count, and provides a false narrative, which is why we've taken the above action.

Taken from comment
52958_a.jpg 52957_b.jpg 52956_c.jpg

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
isn't it supposed to be a fun forum? is not like we are discussing politic or any serious shit
We want to have a fun and light environment, however at the same time we need to have a system in place to show some level of reputation in the community. We can't have 10 users dictating this to the other 300,000 members by abusing the system.

'Like' isn't there to be used to show you're friends with someone. Likes are there to 'reward' the user by showing they're contributing to the community.

When dealing with content sharing, reputation is important, and 'likes' are a good way to show reputation and trust in the community. Blindly liking content just because it was posted by a particular person undermines this.

SpookyDonut

Sep 7, 2016
Fuck this system. This isn't some political forum and we don't count likes, like votes wtf. Problem here is that someone is salty(like my signature says) cause "some" users have more likes than mods and admins, as it seems. What the fuck is this highschool oh look he's more popular than me ohhh.. how is that possible i have more power i should be more popular and more likeable... WTF

EDIT: Also i don't give a FUCK about likes, i'm here for games, and to have fun.

Baka plays

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
well, you admitted that it was only 2 posters who like spammed.
Just bc you suspecting or do you have sth to back up that claim for putting other users in the Gulag?

And since does a "Like" mean "reward"? How do you distinguish between a Like given for Reward or for accidentally clicking the Like-button or just bc they think their friend postes sth useful or funny?

I am suspecting some special members of this board are butthurt bc nobody likes their Top Ten List of Gamegirls
or posting the same tit pic in different threads 4-5 times on 2 pages. Furthermore those cunts that can´t stand it when
someone doesn´t have the same opinion and there are a good handful of them, can kiss my Ass.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Fuck this system. This isn't some political forum and we don't count likes, like votes wtf. Problem here is that someone is salty(like my signature says) cause "some" users have more likes than mods and admins. What the fuck is this highschool oh look he's more popular than me ohhh.. how is that possible i have more power i should be more popular and more likeable... WTF
If you read my post above yours you'll understand why we took action. 10 users literally flooding the server with likes is not acceptable. Likes from the 10 users were revoked indiscriminately, regardless of who they were given to. As it was mostly within a small group, this mostly affected the 10 users themselves, although a handful of people were also unfortunately affected.

Reactions: EpicLust

fullreview

Aug 3, 2017
@F95 (i never taught i will use your @)if you wanted you can gives us a warning beforehand before deleting things.Well there were surely way more than 10 users in there many users likes were deducted.No one is dictating in this forum, what because your one mod/staff member said something totally wrong and some guys were simply rectifying his mistake that's why you all go on hunt?.If you want you can totally remove like function then everyone will stay happy and btw if someone answers a walkthrough question should his like also be deducted that's way over the top man.I guess i going to be less active in forum now no need to make this forum popular:angel::angel::angel:.

StarWarrior

Engaged Member
May 24, 2017
We want to have a fun and light environment, however at the same time we need to have a system in place to show some level of reputation in the community. We can't have 10 users dictating this to the other 300,000 members by abusing the system.

'Like' isn't there to be used to show you're friends with someone. Likes are there to 'reward' the user by showing they're contributing to the community.

When dealing with content sharing, reputation is important, and 'likes' are a good way to show reputation and trust in the community. Blindly liking content just because it was posted by a particular person undermines this.
"we want to have a fun and light environment"

First: you go off and kill threads with no meme/gifs. But that backfired and got everyone mad at "you". When you were
controlling the threads with an iron fist.

Second: You had mods going around on power trips banning people who stod up for other users cause of trolls. The users who tried to protect the ones getting trolled was banned/account limited. And the troll/trolls was let go free (even when proper procedures were taken).

Third: You are making people confusing with like/no likes. What if someone already liked someones post in an other thread. Should they not like said posters post in other thread even if that post was "contributing" to the thread? I know users who has quit this site and are never coming back here cause of to much "controlling" around here. What about posting all the images from a game into the thread? is that "contributing" as well? i dont even have to play some games cause the threads has all the "funny" stuff posted in the threads. Should i like those post or not? How do i know when i over step the "like boosting" let say we got a 50 likes per day ratio. What if i go around seeing 50 post that help other users (this happens EASY i tell ya..) I then go into an other thread and see a very helpfull post but now i cant like that post? Should i write down the page in what thread that post was so i can come back in 24h and like that post? Or should we only like "mods" posting and "special users" post? or just members who upload stuff from "donors"?

I agree. I just liked all the posts, they were funny, or helpful or it was a productive discussion/talk...

Sad :test2:
At one point this forum was going down the Q&A style. But they managed to turn that ship around just before it got to that point. So nice job there i guess.

Baka plays

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
I mean this action is understandable considering the mods go round and offending people by calling them "Liar",
just a few days ago.
And promoting dry asses for a "light and fun"-environment is counterindictive of the purpose.
Hey, why don´t you limit the replies as well?

SpookyDonut

Sep 7, 2016
I mean this action is understandable considering the mods go round and offending people by calling them "Liar",
just a few days ago.
And promoting dry asses for a "light and fun"-environment is counterindictive of the purpose.
Hey, why don´t you limit the replies as well?
Brother if you donate 100$ daily to this forum, maybe but just maybe you can give hundred likes per day to someone :WutFace:x'D what the fuck is the purpose of fucking like button than, remove it and everything is good "flooding servers" "boosting likes" :test3:

schaapjes

Nov 5, 2017
It's kind of weird attitude to be like "I don't deserve a like on this post:test2:". The person liking decides what warrants a like. Not the one posting them.
Ofcourse a person should like what he wants to like, as long as he or she doesn't misuse the function, but if someone responds saying something simple and not neccesary constructive it doesn't 'deserve' a like. At least in my opinion.

Reactions: brynhildr

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
First: you go off and kill threads with no meme/gifs. But that backfired and got everyone mad at "you". When you were
controlling the threads with an iron fist.
If you want to discuss memes and gifs for 5 pages then game discussion threads isn't the right place, as it causes problems for users who are actually trying to discuss the game or find the content they're looking for. This shouldn't be a controversial point; in a discussion forum, keep things relevant and on topic, or create a new thread elsewhere.

Second: You had mods going around on power trips banning people who stod up for other users cause of trolls. The users who tried to protect the ones getting trolled was banned/account limited. And the troll/trolls was let go free (even when proper procedures were taken).
If you have an issue with a moderator or their actions then you can open a ticket with the "Contact Admin" department, and it will be reviewed.

I know users who has quit this site and are never coming back here cause of to much "controlling" around here.
This is a structured forum to try and aide the community in finding the content they want, and showing users who they can trust by reputation. If that is too controlling for some people then you can't please everyone, a chan is probably a better fit for them.

How do i know when i over step the "like boosting"
If you're liking content more than 230 times per day (as was your case) then it's a problem.

Or should we only like "mods" posting and "special users" post? or just members who upload stuff from "donors"?
Everyone was treated indiscriminately, there were a number of donors affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.