"Latest Updates" Abuse?

jethroucc

Aug 28, 2019
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are a lot of creators pushing "updates" that add little to no content? Kinda wondering if creators are creating "updates" as a form to bump their games to keep them relevant, rather than actually adding content.

Only bringing this up because of the frequency of game "updates" not actually 'updating" a damn thing. Anyone else?

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
If you do have suspicions, please make a ticket. It's not condoned in the slightest.

Some creators do try and abuse it, the last man dev comes to mind when I think about it. Do make a ticket about it, or if you get no answer, make a report.

Reactions: Phanex

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Only bringing this up because of the frequency of game "updates" not actually 'updating" a damn thing. Anyone else?
Hmm... I must be lucky, never see it happen in more than three years. Therefore, are you sure that there's no updates, and not updates for a content that you'll not see because you're not following this route ? It's by example the case for Haley's story, that now focus route by route, because their difference start to be more than significant.

Reactions: Papa Lewd

Revel!

May 27, 2020
First off, you're not giving any examples. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

jethroucc said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are a lot of creators pushing "updates" that add little to no content?
An update doesn't require new content. If a developer releases an update that's just a bunch of bug fixes, that's still a perfectly valid update. Every developer has their own different workflows and release schedules, so not every developer is going to have huge updates that are packed full of new content. Sometimes it's very little content in frequent updates. Sometimes it's just bug fixes.

Papa Lewd

Game Developer
Oct 12, 2019
This is a piracy site, the people updating the game here aren't the devs, it's the uploaders.
This comment made me feel dumb because I know quite a few devs on here. The devs of most of the biggest adult games out there are in these forums, unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.

Reactions: DingoDeer

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
An update doesn't require new content. If a developer releases an update that's just a bunch of bug fixes, that's still a perfectly valid update.
It's a valid update, but an update that is done differently. As the rule pointed by Xanado state, updates due to a bug fix should not appear in the "last updates" list.

This comment made me feel dumb because I know quite a few devs on here. The devs of most of the biggest adult games out there are in these forums, unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.
Them being there, and even being owner of the game thread, doesn't mean that they are the ones who updates the links.
They were the person that put the first links, because they wanted to present their game, but once done few effectively do the updates. If you want the game, either you pledge on their Patreon page, or you wait for someone leaking the last version and the thread being updated by an uploader.

Papa Lewd

Game Developer
Oct 12, 2019
Them being there, and even being owner of the game thread, doesn't mean that they are the ones who updates the links.
They were the person that put the first links, because they wanted to present their game, but once done few effectively do the updates. If you want the game, either you pledge on their Patreon page, or you wait for someone leaking the last version and the thread being updated by an uploader.
That's very true. Thank you for replying, I just hadn't looked at it that way, but you're right. I guess their comment baffled me, because it made it seem like developers aren't active on this site, or that they don't have anything to do with keeping their games updated on here. Which to your point, I am sure many don't, but some (the better ones I imagine) do. Maybe I needed to put myself in the mindset that not all devs actively keep their links updated here, but the idea just seemed crazy to me because I plan to make sure mine are always updated as often as possible. But you cleared it up for me, so thanks again for your comment!

Reactions: anne O'nymous

AdventAnyx

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2020
"A lot of us are updating our games ourselves as well. I know I do."

Yeah, same.
It's tempting to abuse the system of course (especially when you're just starting): do smaller updates every 2-3 weeks and try to stay relevant. For me personally, it's stressful as fuck - every public release is a lot of side-work.
The first page of "Latest updates" lives for ~24 hours at best, and this time shortens more and more lately. So after 3-5 days, people stop coming to your thread (most of the time).

Last edited:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
there is going to a lot updates regarding renpy version of games because of the issue of version 7.4.1

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I never saw that being abused, when a developer reports an update, the uploader cannot push it to the latest updates if:
1. It was pushed to the latest updates within 24h.
2. It is only bug fixes.
3. The game was pushed to the latest updates 4 times within 30 days.

The only time I saw it being abused is when Summertime Saga 0.20.7 was pushed to the latest updates... For only three bugs.
However, being a popular game, it might be a different situation as many people might want to have those 3 bug fixes.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I have seen some questionable promotions on Latest Updates, but on the whole I think it works according to the rules. But how much new content can you produce in a week? For most games, these weekly updates (often made by devs to maximize their exposure on Latest Updates), will be very small.

To lessen the rate at which promoted games are being pushed down the list, the rules could be changed to promote at most one update per two weeks. An exception could be made if a game had a big enough update, based on a judgement call. I'm not sure this is a good idea, but it is one idea to make Latest Update become less crowded with a lot of minor updates to games done primarily to maximize their exposure. With so many games being developed, Latest Updates is more like "Last 12 hours' updates".

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I have seen some questionable promotions on Latest Updates, but on the whole I think it works according to the rules. But how much new content can you produce in a week? For most games, these weekly updates (often made by devs to maximize their exposure on Latest Updates), will be very small.

To lessen the rate at which promoted games are being pushed down the list, the rules could be changed to promote at most one update per two weeks. An exception could be made if a game had a big enough update, based on a judgement call. I'm not sure this is a good idea, but it is one idea to make Latest Update become less crowded with a lot of minor updates to games done primarily to maximize their exposure. With so many games being developed, Latest Updates is more like "Last 12 hours' updates".
Not necessarily true, my game was completed in 40 releases in 40 weeks (weekly updates): https://f95zone.to/threads/workers-of-kartedhir-r40-winterfire.25019/#post-1541246

From the changelog you can see that quite a lot can be done in a single week, including programming all the minigames, ouija board, quest system, movement and so on.
The CGs are kind of bad (I am not an artist :() but even those were animated, with no fancy tools... Frame per frame, which takes even more time to make.

• Red Heart
Reactions: woody554