VN Ren'Py Abandoned Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 5] [Inkalicious]

4.60 star(s) 87 Votes

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Any status about the next update? I'm liking it so far
Thanks Alax94. Progress is ongoing and I'm still aiming to have Chapter 1 released as soon as I can.
Unfortunately (fortunately?) I've learned not to give deadlines, because usually work/life steps in to take over my nights or weekends and make me a liar.

Just to let you know, I respond to posts here, but this isn't my thread. So you can pop over to this production thread for the occasional update.

And here's the latest image update from that...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018
Hi Angmir,

In a previous version (named 'Taster') you could name the relationship between the different characters (to you, to them, between them), but it was not well received. Too much typing for some. Poor fingers.
However I also found that I loved the coding part more than the hoops I had to jump through to make the dialogue work.

Now there's no directly stated relationship between the characters. You can place your own interpretation on this.

I think its better to embrace it fully, or not at all. Going wishy washy by not stating the relation or making players enter in whatever they want, can only detract from the story. Just using a placeholder "landlady" or whatever, with a incest patch is the best way I think. Not sure if that also creates problems with patreon, but a lot of other games are doing it that way.

Reactions: Casual Voyeur

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
I think its better to embrace it fully, or not at all. Going wishy washy by not stating the relation or making players enter in whatever they want, can only detract from the story. Just using a placeholder "landlady" or whatever, with a incest patch is the best way I think. Not sure if that also creates problems with patreon, but a lot of other games are doing it that way.
I agree with you, kinda.

I don't think there's any difference, dialogue-wise, between user input and a patch. In fact user input obviously gives more relationship options (girlfriend, cousin, slave, etc). However the problem is still clunky dialogue, or sparse use of mentioning the relationship.

In any case, Patreon is very aware of these patches and it's still a crap shoot whether they will act on your situation or not.

So where am I on this?
Yes, the Patreon situation has completely changed the character's dialogue and this has been an issue and cause of many re-writes and tested workarounds. But I was never comfortable with any of them and it still didn't protect the project from Patreon's ban hammer.
I also understand that my love of a particular genre isn't for everyone. So while it can be seen as wishy-washy, it also gives others a chance to put their own spin on whatever their relationship is.
But that comes at the expense that an entire audience because of that one missing genre tag. I'm aware that it's hurting the project to gain more of an audience.

But this is on Patreon and while I've never believed that Patreon would be a source of income (and it isn't, I've never made any money), I can't deny it's nice to have someone decide that it's worth a dollar and I very much appreciate that trust.

I'm not going to say that it's ideal and the way it should be, but I will keep listening to feedback and don't think anything is set in stone about this project.

Reactions: Casual Voyeur

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018
I agree with you, kinda.

I don't think there's any difference, dialogue-wise, between user input and a patch. In fact user input obviously gives more relationship options (girlfriend, cousin, slave, etc). However the problem is still clunky dialogue, or sparse use of mentioning the relationship.

In any case, Patreon is very aware of these patches and it's still a crap shoot whether they will act on your situation or not.

So where am I on this?
Yes, the Patreon situation has completely changed the character's dialogue and this has been an issue and cause of many re-writes and tested workarounds. But I was never comfortable with any of them and it still didn't protect the project from Patreon's ban hammer.
I also understand that my love of a particular genre isn't for everyone. So while it can be seen as wishy-washy, it also gives others a chance to put their own spin on whatever their relationship is.
But that comes at the expense that an entire audience because of that one missing genre tag. I'm aware that it's hurting the project to gain more of an audience.

But this is on Patreon and while I've never believed that Patreon would be a source of income (and it isn't, I've never made any money), I can't deny it's nice to have someone decide that it's worth a dollar and I very much appreciate that trust.

I'm not going to say that it's ideal and the way it should be, but I will keep listening to feedback and don't think anything is set in stone about this project.
yea, I understand the need to protect your work from possible patreon shenanigans.

I was merely making the point that you seem to agree on. While letting users determine relationships by input or in this case by just leaving it up to their imagination has the benefit of trying to appeal to the incest market, which is a big one, it places a big limitation on dialogue and storytelling. My point about the incest patch was that the game could be written with the patched version taking precedence so that all the dialogue and story makes sense. The non patched version can be wonky as hell with the girls having qualms about having sex with their... roommate or tenant. If that is too risky, I personally would rather have a clear cut non incest relationship with good writing.

Mortimilian

Jun 8, 2018
I agree with you, kinda.

So where am I on this?

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that when I named the older character "correctly," I thought the dialogue flowed just fine. I'm a big fan of when the nature of the relationship is made explicit, but if you can't/won't, it's not a big deal. If you keep the writing similar to how you've written up to this point, I'd be very happy, because I think it worked just fine.

yaxir

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks Alax94. Progress is ongoing and I'm still aiming to have Chapter 1 released as soon as I can.
Unfortunately (fortunately?) I've learned not to give deadlines, because usually work/life steps in to take over my nights or weekends and make me a liar.

Just to let you know, I respond to posts here, but this isn't my thread. So you can pop over to this production thread for the occasional update.

And here's the latest image update from that...
YOU.ARE.AWESOME

period.

please don't abandon this game... i would LOVE to play the completed version. All the best and keep making these games !

love ya !

Reactions: inkalicious

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
YOU.ARE.AWESOME

period.

please don't abandon this game... i would LOVE to play the completed version. All the best and keep making these games !

love ya !
Aw shucks yaxir. Thank you kindly.

No plans to abandon this project, but best to think of it as a series of unexpected surprises. So just when you think "Darn! He's only gone and quit up on us.", an update will drop.

You can't tell I've been playing RDR2 at all...

Reactions: Tarona and yaxir

yaxir

Nov 3, 2017
Aw shucks yaxir. Thank you kindly.

No plans to abandon this project, but best to think of it as a series of unexpected surprises. So just when you think "Darn! He's only gone and quit up on us.", an update will drop.

You can't tell I've been playing RDR2 at all...
HAHAHA !

i think you had an overdose of the wild west from RDR2 ... ( which makes me think about buying that game now :p )

well, hope you had nice, enjoyable run with RDR2 !

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018

And here is the first complete chapter of The Redburns for y'all.
PC

Mac

And a change-log...
  • Chapter 0 copy edits and image tweaks (no sexy image tweaks)
  • Chapter 1 continues with the focus on mending bridges with Sam (younger redhead)
Enjoy.

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
so 1 has 0 included?
Yep.

The game can also be downloaded from the Redburns Production thread (see the banner below).

Just realised the banners are missing on mobile. But a quick search should find the thread.

Last edited:

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Having not played the new update yet I have a question. Is/will there be a path where the mc finally realizes how much the women need him to survive and dominates?
If the game keeps up this quality, it'll quickly become a favorite.
Thanks!

Mmmmmm. A difficult one.
The best I can say is that the first chapter (and a bit) deals with the fallout of his past behaviour. He has fences to mend, but things are changing, secrets will be revealed, yadda yadda.

Yeah, so the MC is being kicked around at the moment, but there are glimmers of hope for him. Probably.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 87 Votes