VN Ren'Py Keeping A Life Intact [Development Thread]

Gravy Train

Mar 30, 2022
Banner with title.png
Welcome to the development thread of my first game
Keeping A Life Intact
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hi there, welcome to my first-ever developmental thread. This is going to be a very informal and all-around mess of a thread because it is my first attempt at such a project. I have no background in coding, writing, rendering, animating, graphic design, etc, etc, etc. So this is quite a monumental task for someone as you can imagine (and likely already know from the dozens if not hundreds of similar projects on this site.) With that said, I have now spent the last two months learning all the doodads and wazoohs of making an AVN and feel confident about my fourth project idea to commit to it. I have another project I would much rather fulfill but I want to learn the ins and outs first before I make it as I want it to be good enough. However, who knows if this is a permanent hobby or just a phase I go through. Anyways, let's jump into the game itself:

Plot Summary: The Collapse of a Life
You will play as "Nameable MC" (original I know) , a photographer from a big city who currently works three separate jobs to make ends meet. Most weekdays he works as an untenured professor teaching photography or runs a small photo studio, and occasionally works as a freelancer for magazines and news outlets. As of the intro to the story, you are currently dating Marelena, a beautiful 29-year-old business exec assistant, and live together in your loft apartment. However, within less than 72 hours, your life will be flipped upside down and everything comes crashing down. During this time you will meet a series of new people that may help you get back on track or add to the destruction. For the rest of the story, it is your goal to keep your life intact, as well as others. Can you pick up the broken pieces and bring harmony back to your life? Or are you going to succumb to the darkness and lose everything?
street2.png

Story Plan: Where Things Might Lead
As I said before, I really have no business taking on this task so I know plenty of things will suck, including the story. I have two undergrads and a master's degree, so I have written a ton, but never a story. I admit I have been influenced by the stories of some other games such as Leap of Faith, Melody, and Acting Lessons. By this I mean I want to go the emotional route of LoF and AL, while revolving around a central cast similar to Melody, but I want the choices I make to matter and consequences as a result. I don't plan to have a super deep meaningful story like LoF but go more similar to AL where the story can hit hard when it gets going. I will try to make the characters "realistic" if I can, whatever that means, but it will still be an AVN which means snu snu will be easily obtainable. But I am not looking to make a walking sex magnet, and I don't want the girls to be bumbling bimbos that only want the MC. All in all, I want everyone to have motives, beliefs, and actions that make sense to them but not others. Though I will take liberties when I have to. Overall expect the story to open out of the gate like the Kentucky Derby, then slow to the pace of a Luis Garcia pitching (look up him throwing, you'll get the idea) so I can build relationships and begin to branch the story. Speaking of choices, I don't want to make a hyper linear game like Melody, but I don't plan to create a game that branches into a million pieces like some games. I have a scope I am aiming for, and I want to stick to it for the most part but close the game with a few options based on your Life Line and Life Paths. Speaking of those.....

Choices: Your Life, Your Path
Currently, I am using another game for inspiration as well, Being A DIK, the GOAT AVN. For this, I want to follow a similar system as the DIK Affinity. This will be called your Life Line, it will determine the path you take in life. You will either live a prosperous life of harmony or live a life of broken pieces. My goal with the Life Line is the player will have to make major choices that will ultimately decide if things are positive or negative in the game. I like the idea of these choices being in your face but occasionally not so obvious. In addition to the Life Line, there will be Life Paths which are sub-choices within your Life Line. These will be the Romantic Path, Lustful Path, Decietful Path, and (REDACTED). These paths will lead your MC down different opportunities within the game. If you are romantic, you might end up in a happy relationship. If you are lustful you can go full manwhore, if you are deceitful you can gain possibilities but in not-so-kind ways, and lastly, if you are (REDACTED) you (REDACTED). I do not plan to go crazy with choices, but my idea is to provide enough choices with extra scenes and dialogue so that the game can be replayed without boredom.
*sorry about the REDACTED parts, I want to keep the final path a secret purely to keep the plot vague until the first release. I promise it isn't anything bad, it is a positive path that I think some would like as it isn't explored too often in these games*

The Girls: The Reason You Are Here
There will be plenty of girls I promise, however as I said before I have taken inspiration from other games, and in that regard, I want to keep a tight core of characters and particularly, love interests. I don't want another BAD or Fetish Locator where you sleep with 30 girls and have little to no repercussions. I want you to have some side girls, but your primary love interests are going to be minimal for a more intimate and immersive experience. As of now, I have finalized three of the primary love interests, I might add one or two more. Okay, after some hard thinking, I have officially finalized the SIX love interests. Spoilers ahead however,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But for now, here is what we have:

Marelena:
Your current girlfriend of four years and an executive assistant at a prestigious business firm. The two of you met when you were photographing in a park, she was your muse of the day until you caught her attention and asked you out to lunch. From that day you were inseparable. She was a lowly intern working on her master's in economics and has since risen to the top now working for the CFO directly. And while there have been bumps and issues on your journey, together you two have grown a passionate relationship and a happy life. Her parents aren't the biggest fans of you because you are nearly ten years older than her, but her love for you allows them to accept you. In the end, you two are madly in love and would never let anything get between you.
Marelena office.png

Fleur D'Rouge:
An A-list celebrity, who has had a questionable career, finds herself in your life after a movie premiere you were photographing. Her firey red hair and Hollywood figure are Fleur's primary trademarks. While a woman like her would never be caught mixing with someone like you, your relationship with her could possibly be the key to fixing the pieces of your life.
Fleur pool.png

?????:
A mysterious girl you meet under less than reasonable circumstances becomes a crucial part of your life as the story unravels. Her name is unknown, her background is shadowy, and how your relationship grows will be up to you. All you need to know is she lives on the streets and is helpless from the moment your meet. Her story is the core of Keeping a Life Intact and might just mirror your own, so be careful what you do.
kali brick wall.png
GiGi:
Marelena's best friend who grew to be friends with you over the last five years. As a non-conformist, she is the exact opposite of her best friend yet stays loyal until the bitter end. She works as a bartender most nights and has grown a thick outer shell that prevents her emotions from leaking outside. Her cold nature has a negative effect on those she meets, but you and Marelena know the true woman that she is.

GiGi Bar.png

Cynthia:
A bright student in your photography class, her happy nature is infectious to those around her. There are rumors she has the hots for you (and other professors) but Cynthia is a model student with a clean track record. Currently a senior, she hopes to graduate this year and move on to photojournalism. She already has internships under her belt, and connections ready to be made. How will this bright-smiled lady affect your situation?
Cynthia Classroom.png

Officer Chen:
A feisty patrol officer who plans to follow in her father's footsteps and become a city-renowned detective. Her preceding reputation says she takes no nonsense and gets the job done no matter what. She believes as a young cop she can avoid the pig stereotype and prove she is incorruptible. As the story starts, the two of you have yet to meet, and as you can imagine meeting a cop means nothing good for anyone.
Officer Chen Car.png

What To Expect
Honestly, I don't know. I am working a ton on this, I write, animate, render while at work, and repeat. I'm not even close to done with the first three days of the game (basically the prologue, chapter 1, whatever you wanna call it). I need to work on finishing writing, rendering, and learning more about Renpy and DAZ. I also am getting into photoshop and learning what to do with postproduction as well as GUI and such (The hardest part so far is GUI funny enough). Really I am winging everything, so bare with me. Ultimately the first 3 days are my current goal. That will easily consist of roughly twenty or so scenes with maybe up to three sex scenes off the bat. One you always see, two will be optional. I'll add a list of possible tags and such below as well as some preview images. Thank you for reading. I would love any and all advice, this is actually a ton of fun in addition to the frustration.

Possible Tags:
Male Protagonist, Multiple Endings, Anal Sex, Blackmail, Cheating, Corruption, Creampie, Drugs, Exhibitionism, Group Sex, Groping, Handjob, Humiliation, Lesbian, Male Domination, NTR maybe?, Oral Sex, Pregnancy, Prostitution, Sexual Harassment, Spanking, Stripping, Swinging maybe?, Teasing, Vaginal sex, Virgin

street11.png street19.png loftintro23.png

Last edited:

Gravy Train

Mar 30, 2022
Bummer, hopefully the NTR/Sharing content will be good and plentiful
You're gonna hate me but the more I think about things, the more it is unlikely. Purely because I don't want my first project to turn away so many people/have negative opinions. However, I do have a story idea that could be perfect in that regard? I've got a few ideas in my head for side projects/second big story. Who knows, it all depends on if I continue this. But I do have an idea for a primarily sharing story. I'd probably make it a short game though because again, major turn off for 90% of players

• Sad
Reactions: Entropylol

Gravy Train

Mar 30, 2022
So I have taken the weekend to work out, revise, and sorta maybe finalize all love interests. In addition to the three I posted the other day, I added three more girls to cap the game off with 6. The additional three LIs are:
GiGi, Marelenas best friend who you are well acquainted with
Cynthia, a college student in one of your classes
Officer Chen, a police officer you have yet to meet as of the start but will get to know over time
GiGi Bar.png Cynthia Classroom.png Officer Chen Car.png