README KAT Community News.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Site was down for most of yesterday. I don't know the cause other than that it was not expected. It's of course back now and more or less unscathed.

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
This post is made in laziness and annoyance.
I would like for you to inform the community on kat that there are auto bitcoin miners hidden sporadically among a few of the files uploaded in the current week, mostly among the cracks for soft and games.
I will not name names of verified uploaders who fall into this category as i feel they share the same source and were too lazy to test their files more thoroughly. Just a friendly reminder to "check their shit" before uploading will do.
Thank you.

Quacker

The Quacker
Respected User
Donor
Aug 6, 2016
I would like for you to inform the community on kat that there are auto bitcoin miners hidden sporadically among a few of the files uploaded in the current week, mostly among the cracks for soft and games.
I will not name names of verified uploaders who fall into this category as i feel they share the same source and were too lazy to test their files more thoroughly. Just a friendly reminder to "check their shit" before uploading will do.
Thank you.
Thank you for the heaps up @eosar

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Thank you.
We have a report button. Use it. I will not inform anyone of anything that most pirates already know, piracy is inherently dangerous and caution should be taken at all times. Our mods work daily to keep people safe and things will naturally slip through.

If you see something, report it on KAT and we'll deal with it. Complaining about it here on a site that is only loosely related to KAT will help literally no one.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Recently people have become more and more irritated with our ad provider. With reports coming in of intrusive and even some indications of actual malicious content. I know ads are annoying, but they are a fact of life for most sites. For us, hosting the forum and Torrent area is not exactly cheap and ad providers aren't exactly lining up to partner with a torrent site that was relatively recently taking down by alphabet agencies. So compromises were made. Clearly those compromises are not sitting super well with people any longer, and we do apologize. While I have seen some sketchy ads, I've yet to see anything downright malicious that couldn't be stopped outright, but that doesn't mean there isn't things that I haven't seen yet.

So now there is a way you can hopefully help us, help you.

What we need from you:

1. Country:
  2. Browser(s):
  3. Operating system:
  4. (optional)What type of ad and it's nature, the more info the better:
Why do we need this? In an effort to work with the ad providers to clean things up, we just need some simple data from any affected users. Nothing personal or identifying. Administration will take this and work with the ad provider and ideally make your visits less troublesome/safer. One way or another we will find a way to make your visit better.

If you are not comfortable providing this information for any reason, you absolutely do not have to. Doing so will help us make your experience on KAT better and safer for everyone.

Thank you :)

~N

If you still use KAT and wish to participate you may reply here, or on

Reactions: Twistty and Quacker

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
GoFundMe Link is currently down at this time
That GofundMe hasn't been active in months. In fact I think it was shut down by GoFundMe itself a relatively short while after it was made.

I can't edit now to remove the link.

Reactions: Twistty

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
That GofundMe hasn't been active in months. In fact I think it was shut down by GoFundMe itself a relatively short while after it was made.

I can't edit now to remove the link.
Fixed it :p

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
Are you still after information about malicious Ads? Recently there has been one that locks up the browser, Chrome and Edge. There's another which was creating an "exe" file of the file I was trying to download (although that may have gone now). There's other annoying nuances but I try to close any opening tab as quick as I can now. I have Adblock+, use Chrome, Windows 10 and am in the UK.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Are you still after information about malicious Ads? Recently there has been one that locks up the browser, Chrome and Edge. There's another which was creating an "exe" file of the file I was trying to download (although that may have gone now). There's other annoying nuances but I try to close any opening tab as quick as I can now. I have Adblock+, use Chrome, Windows 10 and am in the UK.
We do, I suppose. Point of fact I've already found 1 ad that does lock up the browser and another that had an autodownload. Both have been reported.

I have no say in what ads are displayed, so I can't promise a fix, but admins have agreed to look at it. :/

ublock Origin seems to generally do better than Adblock. Also creating an account will pretty much nullify the ads completely. Doesn't change the fact some of them are clearly shady tho.

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
We do, I suppose. Point of fact I've already found 1 ad that does lock up the browser and another that had an autodownload. Both have been reported.

I have no say in what ads are displayed, so I can't promise a fix, but admins have agreed to look at it. :/

ublock Origin seems to generally do better than Adblock. Also creating an account will pretty much nullify the ads completely. Doesn't change the fact some of them are clearly shady tho.
Yeah, I totally understand the fact that the site needs revenue and you can't be too picky when it comes to ads. But some of those ads/popups are insane, I hadn't seen things like that since I stopped frequenting warez sites over a decade ago. I'm aware that some of the admins might not view the site as an everyday user might so I thought the information should be passed along anyway, I hope it does some good.

There is a little "glitch" that I've seen recently as well, when downloading/adding a torrent a confirmation box appears, recently a 2nd one appears every now and then, not often and I've never accepted it but it happens. I only go to KAT to get my UTR fix now but it's becoming a bit of a chore with the damn popup tabs and the like.

I'll check out "ublock Origin" and see what it's like, Unblock+ has been letting me down of late. Cheers!

Reactions: Nootky

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
There is a little "glitch" that I've seen recently as well, when downloading/adding a torrent a confirmation box appears, recently a 2nd one appears every now and then, not often and I've never accepted it but it happens.

I'll check out "ublock Origin" and see what it's like, Unblock+ has been letting me down of late. Cheers!
I've never seen this, nor have I seen any other report of it that I can remember. Will keep an eye out.

I'm aware that some of the admins might not view the site as an everyday user might so I thought the information should be passed along anyway, I hope it does some good.
I had another user who reported that our search bar was broken for non-logged in people earlier today. Displayed no results no matter what you searched. Techs never noticed cause their busy prepping a new update, and I never noticed cause I rarely log out for longer than it takes to check something. It was fixed within minutes of my confirmation.

Point is, when you or anyone else offer help or feedback in a calm manner it's generally welcomed and taken seriously and if it can be fixed, it probably will. Including the ads, which an Admin did promise to bring up with the ad provider. :happyblush

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
I've never seen this, nor have I seen any other report of it that I can remember. Will keep an eye out...
It's like it's adding another file for me but I can only click one at a time and I'm jaded as FLICK so I don't click things that I think are even the slightest bit dodgy.... Well, you know what I mean.

...I had another user who reported that our search bar was broken for non-logged in people earlier today. Displayed no results no matter what you searched. Techs never noticed cause their busy prepping a new update, and I never noticed cause I rarely log out for longer than it takes to check something. It was fixed within minutes of my confirmation...
Haha! I thought that was broken! Yeah, you can't search in the bar, you have to click the bar, bring up the search page and use that. Anything else is a waste of time.

#NomeD

Apr 30, 2017
Still getting the ads opening up another tab when you go to search for anything, ublock origin and adblock plus don't stop it. just thought I would let you know as I don't use the site often these days, I prefer MagnetDL to get what I need.

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
Anyone know what's going on with Kat? If i click on most stuff, all it does is open a popup.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Anyone know what's going on with Kat? If i click on most stuff, all it does is open a popup.
The ad should only pop up once(roughly 1 per page) and stay gone for a while. uBlock Origin will block most of it if you set the option to "block all popups on this site".
Ordinarily I'd say the easiest way to stop 90% of the ads would be to register, but torrent side logins are disabled for anyone not an uploader while the site updates, so that wouldn't be super helpful right now if your just browsing the torrents.

Reactions: eosar

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
The ad should only pop up once(roughly 1 per page) and stay gone for a while. uBlock Origin will block most of it if you set the option to "block all popups on this site".
Ordinarily I'd say the easiest way to stop 90% of the ads would be to register, but torrent side logins are disabled for anyone not an uploader while the site updates, so that wouldn't be super helpful right now if your just browsing the torrents.
Thanks, in the end i registered, clicked 'verify me' and it seems to work now.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Thanks, in the end i registered, clicked 'verify me' and it seems to work now.
I keep forgetting that 'verify me' button exists. Someone asked a similar question a few days ago and I forgot about it then to. >.>

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Just some news.

In an effort to cut costs and consider the removal of popup ads, we've implemented a Monero Miner on site. It's optional and will not do anything without your consent. If you've ever used Fitgirls site, she has the same thing. It's actually where I got the idea.

Details here:
And Here:

Reactions: Katgza