VN Ren'Py JPDE2 - Adagio of Darkness [Ep. 5] [JPDE]

Extremugen

Feb 12, 2018
I love JPDE but the fact they abandoned it before finishing it to get into this one because the writer just wants to have freedom of doing whatever he wants with the story reeks of ego project, I hope to e wrong and that they do finish JPDE but the fact they made it a patron stretch goal to have regular updates for the unfinished one makes it look very bad

Meinos Kaen

Papa Italiano
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2020
I love JPDE but the fact they abandoned it before finishing it to get into this one because the writer just wants to have freedom of doing whatever he wants with the story reeks of ego project, I hope to e wrong and that they do finish JPDE but the fact they made it a patron stretch goal to have regular updates for the unfinished one makes it look very bad
Hello! :)

No jokes, though, because I understand where you're coming from and I'm honestly frustrated too. I wanted to ask a question though:

What does 'finishing' JPDE1 mean to you? Because the main story has been done for years and all I've been adding are more extra finales, with the next and for now final release containing the True Route one.

So to reach a 'finished' stage, what would that look like in your opinion? Honest question.

Axismundi

Jul 14, 2018
Hello! :)

No jokes, though, because I understand where you're coming from and I'm honestly frustrated too. I wanted to ask a question though:

What does 'finishing' JPDE1 mean to you? Because the main story has been done for years and all I've been adding are more extra finales, with the next and for now final release containing the True Route one.

So to reach a 'finished' stage, what would that look like in your opinion? Honest question.
The problem, if I'm being honest, is that the romance system was kind of set up to fail. With the fact that it forces a harem on you that has a minimum of three girls but can go up to four or five+, if I remember right, means that making multiple scenes for every combination would be an insanely monumental task. Everybody is going to want their own weird collection of RYWB wifus to get more screen time together. But the sheer volume of content that can be made means that JPDE1 can never really feel finished in a satisfactory way.

Also, the fact that you set more writing for the first game as a stretch goal looks kind of bad at first glance. It looks like you yourself are saying the first game is not finished. It sets a bad precedent in the minds of people and tells them that you might leave second game unfinished to start the third, and it looks predatory (I'm sure that's the furthest thing from your intention; it's just how it looks at a quick glance).

greatbangan

Jan 6, 2019
*dang, I forgot switch off translate.*
Sorry, this question it's about spoiler.
Is Pyrrha died in JPDE2 at start game already?
or it's still can save her life?

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
I think she does survive, but i don't know whether doing her route in JPDE 1 has an impact on it since it enables her to curb stomp Cinder in their Tower battle

Meinos Kaen

Papa Italiano
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2020
The problem, if I'm being honest, is that the romance system was kind of set up to fail. With the fact that it forces a harem on you that has a minimum of three girls but can go up to four or five+, if I remember right, means that making multiple scenes for every combination would be an insanely monumental task. Everybody is going to want their own weird collection of RYWB wifus to get more screen time together. But the sheer volume of content that can be made means that JPDE1 can never really feel finished in a satisfactory way.

Also, the fact that you set more writing for the first game as a stretch goal looks kind of bad at first glance. It looks like you yourself are saying the first game is not finished. It sets a bad precedent in the minds of people and tells them that you might leave second game unfinished to start the third, and it looks predatory (I'm sure that's the furthest thing from your intention; it's just how it looks at a quick glance).
Yup, you nailed it in one comment! When I first started JPDE, I thought it would just be a dating sim thingie to do in my spare time. I knew so much less than I do now about... well, everything lol But especially producing and budgeting. I pidgeon-holed myself at the start, as you more or less said.

Thing is, I'd feel really bad just straight out saying 'NO MORE JPDE1' but at the same time, as you said, it may look bad to other people. There's sadly no correct answer ^^'

Hmmm... :)

Poll 002 - December 2023.jpg

What do you think? :p [This image is from the December's Quest Poll :p]

Adeoc

May 3, 2018
Is there going to be any options to just...skip battles? Or does anyone have a workaround? Deck games are my kryptonite but I like the story of these games.

Omega Deose

Dec 24, 2018
i hope in the sequel that if you change the anme of the MC the chars stop saying David wehn the textwindows shows the MC name in it, it is good if you hear voices of the chars but i dont like it when they say david

Meinos Kaen

Papa Italiano
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2020
A Quality of Life update for Episode 02 is out! Goodbye bugs and a couple other fixes and knick-knacks :)

Reactions: LightSwitch

Abagofbabies

Feb 22, 2018
I'm going to be honest here, I have no intention of attacking the dev with this, but I just wanted to put thoughts out there, I don't exactly understand the reason why JPDE 1 was abandoned and by abandoned I mean A lot of the things that were supposed to be added such as the endings for different character roots were scrapped. I and I'm sure A lot of other people assumed that it would all be eventually added even if it took A while, I was surprised when the development for JPDE 2 started because the first one wasn't fully finished, but I assumed there was A plan in place and that it would make sense by the end and then I heard about the other project you were working on and got A little worried. Unfortunately I was right after seeing that there was apparently not enough funding for everything and JPDE 1 was getting the short end of the stick. Which left me questions like why you couldn't just focus on 1 project at A time if you were really that stretched thin, I kept the subscription for A while hoping that the funding goal would be reached, but it didn't look like it was even in sight, so unfortunately I winded up pulling my sub because it just left A bitter taste in my mouth.

Now I don't want to just be negative because the fact that I feel this way means you did A great job making me invested in the story and characters which is ironic since that's something RWBY never could. Sorry for the long rant just wanted to vent A bit since I'm feeling pretty disappointed, I'll be keeping an eye out though and if starts looking like the funding goals start looking possible I'll probably sub again, Until then I wish you the best and I did get A lot of enjoyment from JPDE so much appreciated.

Johan_0000

Apr 14, 2023
SO how does it work? I kinda stopped playing the 1st game waiting for all of its content to be out. Now I see the is a second part, does that mean the 1st part is over?

Meinos Kaen

Papa Italiano
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2020
SO how does it work? I kinda stopped playing the 1st game waiting for all of its content to be out. Now I see the is a second part, does that mean the 1st part is over?
The 1st part's main story is complete. You have four different finales with Team RWBY plus a fifth coming soon (and if the Patreon keeps growing again at the rate it is now there will be even more! I'm so happy people like the game that much T_T).

This is the sequel, taking place three years later :)