• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Is it possible to see deleted posts?

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
If my post gets deleted by a moderator I receive a notification saying the post was deleted. Is it possible for me to see my own deleted posts somewhere?

Reactions: | Vee | and FookU2

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
I too would like to know an answer to this. Two whiny whiners were whining about whiny stuffs, and a post of mine was deleted while they were deleting the whining conversation.
I have no clue what my comment was. It said "off topic" was the reason it was deleted, but I can't help but feel they just deleted the last 30 comments without reading any of them.
I don't really post off topic comments. Every comment I make on a thread was due to reading something in that thread or something in the game itself.
It would be nice if they told us what comment was actually deleted. But, nope. Nothing. This site is full of BS like that, though.
Moderators are all also biased AF, and prove it many times. And we can't even see what it was they deleted, cause they don't want to deal with us questioning their motives.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I have no clue what my comment was. It said "off topic" was the reason it was deleted, but I can't help but feel they just deleted the last 30 comments without reading any of them.
When the off topic in a game thread need a major cleaning, it's all posts from the discussion that are deleted, even on topic ones ; they lost their meaning since now answering to something that don't exist anymore. Like the notification are generic, it sometimes happen that one got the "off topic" one, while it should have got the "due to cleaning" notification.

But well, if really you want, you can open a ticket to get more information (top left of the page). But in:
But, nope. Nothing. This site is full of BS like that, though.
Moderators are all also biased AF, and prove it many times. And we can't even see what it was they deleted, cause they don't want to deal with us questioning their motives.
Make me believe that you wouldn't like the answer, nor even trust it.

By the way, necroing a three years old thread just to whim and spit on the volunteers running the place, yeah, sure, you have a perfect behavior that absolutely don't need some post deletion time to time.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
By the way, necroing a three years old thread just to whim and spit on the volunteers running the place, yeah, sure, you have a perfect behavior that absolutely don't need some post deletion time to time.
This is a biased assumption based on your own opinion of one comment.
You don't know what all I've posted over the years that has been deleted due to whatever reasons, so you don't fully understand my reasons for these comments.

In fact, I "necroed a 3 year old thread" (if you wanna call it a thread, since nobody really responded to this person's post), because I also have been told to not create new threads when there are already threads about that topic....also stuff that was deleted by F95 moderators. And guess what it did. It got me answers.

When the off topic in a game thread need a major cleaning, it's all posts from the discussion that are deleted, even on topic ones ; they lost their meaning since now answering to something that don't exist anymore. Like the notification are generic, it sometimes happen that one got the "off topic" one, while it should have got the "due to cleaning" notification.
While I understand the ease and justification of just deleting the entire conversation, I still feel it would be nice to be able to just see what comment I made that was deleted. (1) It would allow me to make another comment (that was on topic) because sometimes it may be a question I made that never got answered due to being buried by the rest of the conversation, and (2) it would help me understand what I said that may be considered off topic or inappropriate, because as humans, we all are imperfect, and we all also have a different set or morals, and that would just make it easier to understand what the moderators wouldn't like and it could just be avoided in the future. But, when something gets deleted, and the commenter has no clue what was deleted, they have no clue what they did wrong, if anything at all.

Reactions: MadfireMonkey

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
You don't know what all I've posted over the years that has been deleted due to whatever reasons, so you don't fully understand my reasons for these comments.
What also apply to you, you know...

Is it frustrating to have a post deleted due to cleaning ? Oh yeah, and even more when the moderator feel the need to add a "sorry for that" ; don't worry kind moderator, I hold no grudge on you.

But we all stand on the same ground. There's no need to know precisely what we could have said, we all know the rules (and for those who don't, it's time to learn them), while being expected to be mature enough to perfectly know when we are, in a way or another, putting a foot on the other side of the line. When playing with fire, being burned is one of the possible outcome.
And, when exceptionally the deletion come as a surprise, as I said there's the ticket option. A possibility that isn't explicitly stated in the rules, but still strongly hinted.

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020

In fact, I "necroed a 3 year old thread" (if you wanna call it a thread, since nobody really responded to this person's post), because I also have been told to not create new threads when there are already threads about that topic....also stuff that was deleted by F95 moderators. And guess what it did. It got me answers.
Nah, man. It made you look all salty in the sub-forum people go to when they intend to help people with a real problem. Not cool.

Anyway, most of the time stuff gets deleted it's because it really doesn't help the thread. Why keep the replies to deleted bullshit? I once had one deleted that only had a reason to exist in the context of replying a deleted post *and* with an attachment that turned out to run to 10MB (I was in the process of re-compressing at the time of deletion,) and, you know what, I didn't get upset when it went - it didn't mean anything any more and I was being a dick in two different ways.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Nah, man. It made you look all salty in the sub-forum people go to when they intend to help people with a real problem. Not cool.

Anyway, most of the time stuff gets deleted it's because it really doesn't help the thread. Why keep the replies to deleted bullshit? I once had one deleted that only had a reason to exist in the context of replying a deleted post *and* with an attachment that turned out to run to 10MB (I was in the process of re-compressing at the time of deletion,) and, you know what, I didn't get upset when it went - it didn't mean anything any more and I was being a dick in two different ways.

People will interpret words however they want to interpret them. A reader's interpretation doesn't mean that is actually the intention of the words. I came to a thread, that I found that was asking about the very issue I was having, and I commented on said thread to hopefully find an answer to my issue. While I DID get answers, I ALSO was berated, based on assumptions that I was "salty." I personally give 2 shits about another person's interpretation of my words. I simply wanted to (1) make a suggestion to a possible new tool/feature that may help with a specific issue, and (2) find out the current tool/feature, if any, to do so. But, going off of my past experiences, what I said is my own experiences with the moderators. Aside from having comments removed, for various reasons, I've had reviews removed because "did not follow rules" or "biased opinions" or whatever, then they linked the list of rules for me to read, which I did. And after reading the rules, realized I DID in fact follow the rules when reviewing the game. I simply stopped doing reviews of games and just started posting it in the comment sections of the threads, cause I apparently don't understand their definition of the site's rules.

And as said above, I HAVE had comments deleted that had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation they were deleting. My comments were questions about the game. And of course I would realize my question was never getting answered when I received that notification saying "off topic", which apparently doesn't necessarily mean it actually WAS off topic. lol

But...since I've received my answers, and this thread is now bordering off topic of a thread that is about deleted off topic posts (lol), I am outy.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
6 years on this site and doesn't know how to properly go about this... Let me guide you to where you should have gone to begin with:
View attachment 3344201
Having a 6 year old account doesn't mean I've ventured any farther than downloading new updates of my favorite games. I've never found a need to use that tab. I've always found threads about the topic in question, and most of the time, found answers I sought, without the need to open a ticket for anything.
You assume I don't know something because you assume I am salty about something, much like the other commenters.
I was in hopes there was a way to simply (as I said previously) see what was deleted, by actually clicking on the notification that says it was deleted. (a lot of sites actually use this feature, facebook being one off the top of my head).
You receive a notification, and can click on that notification, and it actually will let you see what was deleted, while explaining why it was deleted.
But, hell, F95 won't even separate the "transformation" tag like other sites, cause they feel it's unnecessary, even though many members have suggested the change. So, I don't see them making this change, either.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
There's no need to know precisely what we could have said, we all know the rules (and for those who don't, it's time to learn them)
Yes and no.

Many of the rules are quite subjective, so even if a user reads them they might not understand how they're applied at f95. After years of observing moderation I think I have a fair idea of the dos and don'ts, but sometime I too am confused why something has been moderated.

As FookU2 says, seeing the content of a deleted post with the moderation report would help people understand what behaviour to avoid in future.

But that's probably something which should be in Feature Requests, rather than General Troubleshooting (assuming it isn't already, I haven't looked).

ghosthog

Feb 21, 2019
I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see what your post was that was deleted. I'm assuming admins and mods can see deleted posts for a bit to review. I wouldn't think it would be too much trouble if a user could see their deleted post for a week or so.

Most times I've been given a reason why a post is deleted and that's good enough, especially when I make snarky posts like Count Morado that add nothing that hasn't been said already and is mocking someone.

And as far as tickets go I opened a ticket on a deleted post over a week ago since there was no reason given and still have no reply so that option obviously isn't very helpful, plus that consumes more moderator time that just allowing the user to temporarily see the message that was deleted.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Deleted posts can only be seen by moderators and staff. There are 2 ways i view this, upside and downside. i do agree that having the ability for a user to see their deleted posts would be beneficial and users would remember why their post was removed. but a user should of already been aware of the General Rules for this forum. Posts only get deleted if they don't follow the rules and if a post does get removed it was removed for a good reason.

However, the downside of this is the reaction and response a user would make afterwards after they saw their post was deleted. Firstly the user would wonder why their post was deleted and this might anger some people and cause arguments. Some users may even send a ticket just about why their post was deleted.

Best solution to this is keep it as is, and have only moderators and staff see deleted posts for users on here. This will make the most sense to me.

ghosthog

Feb 21, 2019
Posts only get deleted if they don't follow the rules and if a post does get removed it was removed for a good reason.

However, the downside of this is the reaction and response a user would make afterwards after they saw their post was deleted. Firstly the user would wonder why their post was deleted and this might anger some people and cause arguments. Some users may even send a ticket just about why their post was deleted.
Posts don't only get deleted because they are violating a rule, some seem to just get caught up in a mass clearing of something like one of the many ntr debate/tantrum wars when the user's post didn't get in that debate. Also, mods are human and volunteers, they can make mistakes or worse have it out for some users. I haven't seen any rogue mod vendettas here but have on other forums, and doesn't mean it won't happen here eventually.

Ultimately though, you are probably correct in your final point, there is no easy way to make this work efficiently and please everyone. It might be nice to at least have the mods be required to post a reason, even if its simple/generic. Just thinking about that might avoid a few posts deleted. Might also reduce tickets written because no reason is given.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Posts don't only get deleted because they are violating a rule, some seem to just get caught up in a mass clearing of something like one of the many ntr debate/tantrum wars when the user's post didn't get in that debate. Also, mods are human and volunteers, they can make mistakes or worse have it out for some users. I haven't seen any rogue mod vendettas here but have on other forums, and doesn't mean it won't happen here eventually.

Ultimately though, you are probably correct in your final point, there is no easy way to make this work efficiently and please everyone. It might be nice to at least have the mods be required to post a reason, even if its simple/generic. Just thinking about that might avoid a few posts deleted. Might also reduce tickets written because no reason is given.
ghosthog, thank you for agreeing with me on this matter. :)

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
If I don't even know which of my post is deleted, How will I know what not to do to improve my posting quality rather than providing "your post was deleted" without providing any reason.
1707674278306.png

If I know the reason and which of my posts was deleted that would be helpful (something like link to my deleted post which I can visit only should be available to me till a specific time and will be deleted after that or add a screenshot of my deleted post, etc.) and we wouldn't simply need to generate tickets to get reason for deletion and add more work for mods.

Wouldn't that be more simple and productive?

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
If I don't even know which of my post is deleted, How will I know what not to do to improve my posting quality rather than providing "your post was deleted" without providing any reason.
View attachment 3346310

If I know the reason and which of my posts was deleted that would be helpful (something like link to my deleted post which I can visit only should be available to me till a specific time and will be deleted after that or add a screenshot of my deleted post, etc.) and we wouldn't simply need to generate tickets to get reason for deletion and add more work for mods.

Wouldn't that be more simple and productive?
True, you make a good point.

Sometimes one of my posts got deleted without even a reason as to why it was deleted. i do agree with you that there should be more reasoning as to why a post gets removed, but i would like to mention this though and consider "think before you post." before a user decides to post on a thread they should first be aware of the General Rules.

A person's post would get deleted because it didn't follow the rules, some common reasons are: shitposting, offtopic, and cleanup. There are more but these are just to name a few.

Reactions: | Vee |

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
True, you make a good point.

Sometimes one of my posts got deleted without even a reason as to why it was deleted. i do agree with you that there should be more reasoning as to why a post gets removed, but i would like to mention this though and consider "think before you post." before a user decides to post on a thread they should first be aware of the General Rules.

A person's post would get deleted because it didn't follow the rules, some common reasons are: shitposting, offtopic, and cleanup. There are more but these are just to name a few.
Yes! You are right but sometimes mods don't even mention any reason like in my post above. And it keeps happening over and over.
1707687196125.png
Humans learn by trial and error. I was using colors to highlight my main point in my posts(it wasn't too much just 3-4 sentences in a single color in a long post so if someone doesn't want to read whole post about game discussion, they can read that instead) but when my posts were being deleted than I learn from my tickets than I only highlight 1 or 2 words.
And now my post are not being deleted for that reason. This was just an example.

• Hey there
Reactions: hu lover