Is it possible to export Virt-A-Mate assets

Bljatslapa

Jun 9, 2022
Is there any way to export VirtAMate assets more correctly "models"/"Atom people" to like Unity or Unreal and also with clothes you gave them, Hoping you understand what i mean!

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
I believe this is not possible, however Virt a Mate runs on Unity engine. And there are some ways to import Unity assets to Unreal Engine. But models (Genesis) and atom's, I don't know if this is possible. Maybe in some ways, to import it first to DAZ3D and then to Unreal engine.

There is a plugin named Daz to Unreal Bridge but it only supports Genesis 8 as far I can see.

Virt a Mate 1.x uses Genesis 2, Virt a Mate 2.x uses Genesis 8.

But you have a high chance that this doesn't work like it should be or some things can be bug or not work. It doesn't support it out of the box, but there are some indirect ways. But I think you need to be programmer to get things kind of things working.

If someone knows more about this, or if i'm not right, please correct me.

Bljatslapa

Jun 9, 2022
its probably possible but difficult,
I really wanna export a atom person i created with all the clothes hair, textures and all that.

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
Anyone figured out a way to export the clothing/hair? It would be great to be able to use these clothing/hairs for Genesis 8/9. The only way would be to ask the one that did the asset in question, since from what I know clothing and hair always needs to go through Daz and them to VAM...

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
Anyone figured out a way to export the clothing/hair? It would be great to be able to use these clothing/hairs for Genesis 8/9. The only way would be to ask the one that did the asset in question, since from what I know clothing and hair always needs to go through Daz and them to VAM...
Virt a Mate 1.x only uses Genesis 2. I don't think Genesis 8/9 character and assets will work. I've seen people posting about tutorials how to import a Genesis 8 character to Virt a Mate 1.x but it's a real pain in the ass to get it right. That's all i've seen so far.

Virt a Mate 2.x is active in development which does support Genesis 8 out of the box. So, you could easily import Genesis 8 characters aswell assets to Virt a Mate 2.x or the otherway around. But it's very early in development and it's nowhere as Virt a Mate 1.x

Also characters, clothing and hair from Genesis 8 or 9 uses different morphs as Genesis 2 for example. So, you need to "convert" it somehow. It's a real pain in the ass, but this should be done from Daz3d, as far I know.

I still uses Genesis 2 in Virt a Mate with the assets the community offers, and in Daz3D I just work with Genesis 9 and use both software seperate from eachother. I was thinking to import my Genesis 2 characters to Daz3d and then try to convert them to Genesis 9. Because some characters i've been working on for a couple of years now, and I don't want them to lose and want to give them a "next-gen" upgrade. But this is also not easy aswell.

All the Genesis's are different build and just not compatible with eachother.

That's not the only problem, I think the physics engine is also a bit different between Daz3d and VaM. So, you also need to convert the physics engine. Daz3d uses Dforce while Virt a Mate 1.x uses a older version of PhysX . But I could be wrong....

Last edited:

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
Also characters, clothing and hair from Genesis 8 or 9 uses different morphs as Genesis 2 for example. So, you need to "convert" it somehow. It's a real pain in the ass, but this should be done from Daz3d, as far I know.

I still uses Genesis 2 in Virt a Mate with the assets the community offers, and in Daz3D I just work with Genesis 9 and use both software seperate from eachother. I was thinking to import my Genesis 2 characters to Daz3d and then try to convert them to Genesis 9. Because some characters i've been working on for a couple of years now, and I don't want them to lose and want to give them a "next-gen" upgrade. But this is also not easy aswell.

All the Genesis's are different build and just not compatible with eachother.

That's not the only problem, I think the physics engine is also a bit different between Daz3d and VaM. So, you also need to convert the physics engine. Daz3d uses Dforce while Virt a Mate 1.x uses a older version of PhysX . But I could be wrong....
Converting clothing/hair from older generations are easier than converting a morph inside Daz, at least for me, I always have problems converting Genesis 1/2/3 to Genesis 8, mainly in the eyes...

Anyway, I really wanted to use asset in Daz, I can use the morphs (I use it both for G2 and G8, yeah I use G2 too), but hair and clothing are a different story... If there was a way to convert clothing as easily as the 'plugin' that osanaiko pointed out above my first post it would be just amazing, but I looked everywhere and can't really find anything. I know a little about Dforce, so really wanted to take a look if I could convert these hairs to Dforce...

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The right combination of Blender and Marvellous Designer might* allow you to get a clothing import pipeline going...

1. get the clothing item out of VAM (T pose on the standard unmorhped G2 character body and import to blender?)
2. export just the clothing part from blender to MD, and then fit to the target Daz figure body (g8f) as well
3. sort out the default positioning/stitching etc of the clothing parts in MD
4. reexport to blender
5. check and as needed redo all the surface material assignment/UV mapping in blender (hopefully not completely broken by the workflow so far)
6. export from blender to daz
7. import the clothing into daz and see how the default mapping to the relevant figure goes
8. maybe adjust weight maps in daz (which has a shit interface but what else can you do?) to get better fit when the character moves.
9. redo the materials in daz from scratch, hopefully being able to use the same diffuse/bump/etc maps from VAM
10. save as an asset, wipe hands on pants

(* i've not tried this and am just repeating stuff i've read from various forums over the years. no warrantee suggested or implied! :ROFLMAO:)

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
The right combination of Blender and Marvellous Designer might* allow you to get a clothing import pipeline going...
Wait... You can open vab/vaj files on blender or is there a exporter inside VAM? I've been only unpacking things so I have no idea xD

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Wait... You can open vab/vaj files on blender or is there a exporter inside VAM? I've been only unpacking things so I have no idea xD
I started with the first google result.

Which informs us that there's a "export to obj" button in VAM character view. But it doesn't appear to work for clothing too.

After some more forum scrounging I found someone claiming to use Ninja Ripper to extract the clothing meshes. It seems that the data is just a mesh without other useful stuff like UV maps or textures, so that would suggest a lot of rework to get the clothing item into shape for use in another render.

One thing I found was that it seems that a lot of the clothing in VAM comes originally from daz G2 compatible items, so it might be easier to see if you can find the equivalent in the older daz releases. For newer stuff custom made for VAM in blender/MD, there's not much hope if the creator does not make the DUF / OBJ files available.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Liphisbus

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
After some more forum scrounging I found someone claiming to use Ninja Ripper to extract the clothing meshes. It seems that the data is just a mesh without other useful stuff like UV maps or textures, so that would suggest a lot of rework to get the clothing item into shape for use in another render.

One thing I found was that it seems that a lot of the clothing in VAM comes originally from daz2 compatible items, so it might be easier to see if you can find the equivalent in the older daz releases. For newer stuff custom made for VAM in blender/MD, there's not much hope if the creator does not make the DUF / OBJ files available.
Yeah, I've been looking for some of the older assets, but I'm more interested in the newer stuff, game characters and stuff...

Well, I guess the only option for me is to wait for someone to create a plugin for that (I don't think it will happen since there's really no need/benefit to export the clothing/hair for the folks that use VAM) or just ask the creator directly itself and see if they still have the clothing/hair in Daz format. Thanks for the help! ;)

Reactions: osanaiko