• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

In your opinion, which adult game project has been the most successful?

the_high_king

Jul 16, 2017
In my personal opinion, I think Summertime Saga has been the biggest hit with the most supporters.

They're currently at 30000+ paid members? Even at the lowest paid tier, that means the creator is making about $60000 from that game.

Can you think of one that's been more successful then that?

I'm also thinking of terms of financial but maybe for someone else, cult following and fame might be more important.

• Haha
Reactions: Sneed's

KaeruVN

Game Developer
Feb 9, 2024
I'd argue that Subverse is one of the most successful adult games out there. Their Kickstarter raised more than 2 million dollar and they are selling their finished game on Steam.
Sure, there's all these crowdfunded games out there that most likely beat Subverse on the financial side, but I don't know how many of them are completely finished.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020

The most successful on patreon. It doesn't count sales on Steam or similar platforms. DPC is very well placed, and he's a solo dev

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Trials In Tainted Space i'd say, they been around for a long time and still going strong.

Also i refuse to acknowledge that 'summertime garbage' nonsense.
Played it and there is nothing special about it aside from the decent art to justify so much cash being poured into it, it's completely bonkers how lucky that dev is, probably used up all the luck he had in this life and maybe in his next life as well lol. :whistle::coffee:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Exocrine

the_high_king

Jul 16, 2017
Trials In Tainted Space i'd say, they been around for a long time and still going strong.

Also i refuse to acknowledge that 'summertime garbage' nonsense.
Played it and there is nothing special about it aside from the decent art to justify so much cash being poured into it, it's completely bonkers how lucky that dev is, probably used up all the luck he had in this life and maybe in his next life as well lol. :whistle::coffee:
Personally, I think Summertime Saga has a good aesthetic and design to it despite it being vanilla-incest-harem. When I first looked at it I thought, "hey, this game looks different and clean... and it's not DAZ or anime either".

Other 2D games that fit this category would have to be the AKABUR games but those are more hardcore, (and more fun).

• Haha
Reactions: Sneed's

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
summertime saga is one of the big ones in name and history but it has been missing out on a lot of money since it's not on steam, for the school setting i take it. moneywise it is far behind many other successful games like being a dik and freshwomen to mention just a couple.

even on patreon, i doubt summertime saga is the most successful one counting in total earnings since start. definitely not in monthly earnings. it has a lot of patrons but with a low average pledge amount.

the_high_king

Jul 16, 2017
The thing is, if I were to ever make an adult game, I wouldn't put it on Steam either. I would want the game to be known of course, but I also don't want to be investigated IRL if I wanted to move into mainstream games as well. I'd want to maintain as much privacy as I can.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
The thing is, if I were to ever make an adult game, I wouldn't put it on Steam either. I would want the game to be known of course, but I also don't want to be investigated IRL if I wanted to move into mainstream games as well. I'd want to maintain as much privacy as I can.
you're not less private on steam than you are on patreon.

the_high_king

Jul 16, 2017
I guess what I mean is you're less notable on just having a Patreon than being on Steam where millions of users see your product on their front page.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
I guess what I mean is you're less notable on just having a Patreon than being on Steam where millions of users see your product on their front page.
not making much sense there, make up your mind dude. either you want your game to be known or not. if you're that scared of being noted you shouldn't release anything.

as soon as you want to withdraw a dollar on patreon, you have to give away your taxation details, who you are.

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
you're not less private on steam than you are on patreon.
Patreon requires 18+ creators to verify their age through Jumio, which means you have to submit both a photo of yourself and a valid ID. Patreon and Jumio say that they don't collect this info, but who knows. As far as I'm aware, steam does no such thing.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Patreon requires 18+ creators to verify their age through Jumio, which means you have to submit both a photo of yourself and a valid ID. Patreon and Jumio say that they don't collect this info, but who knows. As far as I'm aware, steam does no such thing.
yes, steam is better if you think like that, but in the end, there really is no difference. patreon already know who you are because they have your tax info. so there is a photo of you out there somewhere, big deal. walk outside anyone can see you.

useless paranoia is useless

Last edited:
Reactions: anne O'nymous

KaeruVN

Game Developer
Feb 9, 2024
what does it matter when they already know who you are because they have your tax info? so there is a photo of you out there somewhere, big deal. walk outside anyone can see you.

I don't know, I can understand not wanting your information out there, especially when you make adult games that might touch on sensitive subjects. Let's not forget that the developer of The Coffin of Andy and Leyley received death threats.

the_high_king

Jul 16, 2017
not making much sense there, make up your mind dude. either you want your game to be known or not. if you're that scared of being noted you shouldn't release anything.

as soon as you want to withdraw a dollar on patreon, you have to give away your taxation details, who you are.
I don't know why I'm getting very angry vibes from your reply to a hypothetical, even it's incorrect. I'll make it more clear though: Steam is more popular platform. With Patreon, projects kind of pass-on-by unless they're actively promoted or advertised. If I have a game on Steam, more people know who I am. On just Patreon, a lot of people still know who I am but not as many as if I had posted it on Steam.

I thought that was simple to understand.

And yeah, I know the government and financial people will of course know what I've done. But unless I'm outwardly doing something illegal, they don't care about adult games so there's no reason for them to do something like.... send a letter to my next employer for example.

P.S: I heard Subscribestar is less restrictive? I don't which adult game is the most successful on there though.

Last edited:

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
yes, steam is better if you think like that, but in the end, there really is no difference. patreon already know who you are because they have your tax info. so there is a photo of you out there somewhere, big deal. walk outside anyone can see you.

Oh, I was just enforcing the point that patreon is not more anonymous than steam. Though the_high_king is correct in that, with steam it IS more likely that an issue may occur just by virtue of the number of eyes on it. I don't think either is worth worrying about, though. Those who have access to your information don't care.

Reactions: the_high_king

Leylight

Nov 13, 2022
In my personal opinion, I think Summertime Saga has been the biggest hit with the most supporters.

They're currently at 30000+ paid members? Even at the lowest paid tier, that means the creator is making about $60000 from that game.

Can you think of one that's been more successful then that?

I'm also thinking of terms of financial but maybe for someone else, cult following and fame might be more important.
As I recall the money they were making peaked at around $105k a month and then went down by about 30%. Not bad by any means, but still.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
I don't know why I'm getting very angry vibes from your reply to a hypothetical, even it's incorrect. I'll make it more clear though: Steam is more popular platform. With Patreon, projects kind of pass-on-by unless they're actively promoted or advertised. If I have a game on Steam, more people know who I am. On just Patreon, a lot of people still know who I am but not as many as if I had posted it on Steam.

I thought that was simple to understand.

And yeah, I know the government and financial people will of course know what I've done. But unless I'm outwardly doing something illegal, they don't care about adult games so there's no reason for them to do something like.... send a letter to my next employer for example.

P.S: I heard Subscribestar is less restrictive? I don't which adult game is the most successful on there though.
not angry, just stating it as i see it. the only difference being only on patreon, or both patreon and steam, is that you will make more money if you're also on steam. no less privacy. so you're turning down money for an irrational fear of losing your privacy because more people see your game. don't become a game dev. sounds like you're not cut out for it

BBSoftworks

Feb 29, 2024
I'm not saying this from personal experience, but I've heard that Steam also guarantees you a certain amount of "first page" appearances, which would probably boost your exposure to the public by a ton.

Reactions: the_high_king