• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unreal Engine Importing environment from daz to unreal

Feb 11, 2020
Hi, I exported an environment from Daz, using the DazToUnreal bridge (using the Environment drop-down option) and then Unreal completed the process on its own and imported all assets. I placed it in the editor in the map. But when I try to put PlayerStart in it, it shows BadSize. If I start the game like that, the character passes through it and falls below. I enabled the collision on it, so it did not pass through, but it's still happening.
I did some digging, BadSize appears on PlayerStart if it's intersecting with something in the map. I used the debug command `show collision` to show the collision around the environment, the whole thing was covered in a single collision box. The PlayerStart was intersecting with the collision box. That's why if I placed PlayerStart in the imported environment the player passed through it, and I put it above it, it will collide with it and stay above the collision box.
I tried generating different collisions for the mesh but it did not solve the problem. As a single mesh basically makes up the basic structure of the environment, so the collision ends up covering all of it, hence making it impossible for the player character to interact with it during gameplay.
I want to use Daz Environments in Unreal but this problem is making it impossible. I don't know what to do, I followed the instructions given here: . But it did not solve my problem.
If you know the solution, please tell me, thank you.

TheExordick

Sep 25, 2021
Actually you have a couple of alternatives left:

1- select "use complex collision" which uses the real geometry of the asset to calculate collisions. It is a per-polygone collision system. Be aware that it is way more expensive than "convex hull" collision, but for simple/architectural static meshes is fine.

2- export the assets/props from daz to blender separately and then export them as "fbx". Then import the single fbx in unreal and recreate your environment in unreal engine. (This way you won't transfer the materials, so you will need to import textures separately and recreate the materials, which is a wise thing to do anyway)

Feb 11, 2020
Thank you TheExordick for the answer. I tried the first solution and it worked.
For the second solution, actually I am new to Unreal, Blender and Daz. Can you please give a detailed explanation on how to do the second solution. Many thanks.

Apr 8, 2023
Unless you mess with the settings a lot, auto-generated collision is going to give you trouble. Collisions always try to generate as a convex hull, so it doesn't get that you might want an "inside". What you might want to do is to disable collision on the mesh your brought in from Daz and put in an "invisible wall" collision boxes in the level as needed. or you could manually place collision meshes in UE editor. To do that you can "Remove All Collision" from the menu and then add some collision primitives from the same menu.

Reactions: VirtuousSinner

TheExordick

Sep 25, 2021
Thank you TheExordick for the answer. I tried the first solution and it worked.
For the second solution, actually I am new to Unreal, Blender and Daz. Can you please give a detailed explanation on how to do the second solution. Many thanks.
Let me break things down further. As far as i know, when you send things from Daz to another program it creates one object that comprehend everything. If i'm wrong i apologize.

Nevertheless, if you select one prop at a time and export it to blender separately than you can export the prop from blender as an FBX or OBJ file (if they are static mesh OBJ is fine. For skeletal mesh always use FBX). This gives you more control over the export process but you need to import the props in unreal one at a time and then place them manually to recreate your environment.

As you import the props one at a time unreal will create automatically convex hull collisions for each prop. This can be ok for things you don't need to step on or you can revert to complex collision for things you need to step on (floor, stairs and such...)

One important thing in blender, to avoid scale problem when going between daz, blender and unreal, is to go in the daz2blender settings (in blender) and choose x100 scale on import. Then go to the global blender settings and set unit scale 0.01.