Ideal Tech Specs for Daz Development

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I recently decided to try my hand at Daz with the ultimate goal of creating a game. I've gone through several tutorials, downloaded several assets, and have developed a couple of characters, but I'm doing it on a less then optimal laptop which slows down a lot when I go to view things in Iray, add certain complex elements, and when I render a finished character. This obviously makes the prospect of developing a game more difficult and so I was wondering, what are the ideal tech specs for working with Daz? In other words, what should I ideally have in terms of RAM, Graphics Card, processor, etc? I have some money that I could possibly use to upgrade my laptop or buy a new one, I just need to know what the best specs are to see if I have enough money, otherwise it's looking like I'm going to have to give up before I even begin.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I recently decided to try my hand at Daz with the ultimate goal of creating a game. I've gone through several tutorials, downloaded several assets, and have developed a couple of characters, but I'm doing it on a less then optimal laptop which slows down a lot when I go to view things in Iray, add certain complex elements, and when I render a finished character. This obviously makes the prospect of developing a game more difficult and so I was wondering, what are the ideal tech specs for working with Daz? In other words, what should I ideally have in terms of RAM, Graphics Card, processor, etc? I have some money that I could possibly use to upgrade my laptop or buy a new one, I just need to know what the best specs are to see if I have enough money, otherwise it's looking like I'm going to have to give up before I even begin.
Firstly , I'm not the right person to be answering your technical question...

So why am I even replying? Simply, because although better specs are always better, and God knows I whine often enough about mine, better specs aren't essential for you to learn Daz.

I've managed to knock out a fairly decent looking game on a 2GB card and a PC which probably has an optional coal fuel port. Now I'm not saying it's desirable by any means, but if a ditz like me can churn out something that looks pretty decent with specs, I'd hazard a guess, worse than yours- well, you can do better than me no?

So, yep twin 1070ti cards are ace etc etc but I wanted to pop in and just say don't give up purely because of your IT rig. You learn a -hell- of a lot living on memory margins which can only help down the line.

Anyhoo...I'll shut up now and let some people who know what they're talking about advise you. ;)

Reactions: Akamari

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Ideal is massive computing power :LOL:

No seriously, If you want to use Iray (and thats my guess here), the processor is not really important. The processor is only processing the scene, but rendering itself takes place on the gpu (as long as the scene fits).
You won't need that much ram either. It helps when the scene is processed and compressed before rendering, but not rendering itself. I have only 16gb for example and have no trouble at all.

For the graphics card, the new rtx family would most likely be"ideal", but atm they are only supported with the new iray version which is used in the Daz 4.11 (public-)beta and some of the prices of some of these cards are beyond good and evil, so I can't really recommend them atm...

If you want to speed up the rendering time, get two cards, not 3, not 4, but 2.
The second card can speed up the rendering times up to 60% but a third will only speed up around 30% and less and a fourth card will not go beyond 20%, so it's not really worth getting more than two cards.

If you can afford it, get two 1080ti's, but in my opinion their prices are still too high compared to the 1070ti's or some rtx cards.
You can get 1070ti's for 300-400 € or a 1080 (without the ti) for ~450€ atm but wont find many 1080ti's for under 800€. If you want to get a rtx card, I have seen some for ~500 bucks.

But in the end @Nottravis is right, you can render really good scenes with even a potato.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Firstly , I'm not the right person to be answering your technical question...

So why am I even replying? Simply, because although better specs are always better, and God knows I whine often enough about mine, better specs aren't essential for you to learn Daz.

I've managed to knock out a fairly decent looking game on a 2GB card and a PC which probably has an optional coal fuel port. Now I'm not saying it's desirable by any means, but if a ditz like me can churn out something that looks pretty decent with specs, I'd hazard a guess, worse than yours- well, you can do better than me no?

So, yep twin 1070ti cards are ace etc etc but I wanted to pop in and just say don't give up purely because of your IT rig. You learn a -hell- of a lot living on memory margins which can only help down the line.

Anyhoo...I'll shut up now and let some people who know what they're talking about advise you. ;)
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying learning Daz and would probably continue to do so with my current laptop, it's just that when my laptop is bricked for half an hour simply because I'm trying to preview my scene in Iray in the Aux Viewport or slows to a crawl because I have more than than 5 things in a scene, that's the part I can't stand and it ruins any motivation to develop a game. It might seem silly to think like that, but that's me.

I know I can just render the scene(s) and see what it looks like then, but even that takes over an hour. So spending so long waiting for a scene to render to then notice a few things that need correcting and waiting another hour+ for the finished article is another buzzkiller for me.

BTW, in case anybody's intersted, this is what I'm currently running with:
  • Intel Core i5 dual-core processor
  • 6GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940M

Reactions: Nottravis

Snarkfu

Mar 7, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying learning Daz and would probably continue to do so with my current laptop, it's just that when my laptop is bricked for half an hour simply because I'm trying to preview my scene in Iray in the Aux Viewport or slows to a crawl because I have more than than 5 things in a scene, that's the part I can't stand and it ruins any motivation to develop a game. It might seem silly to think like that, but that's me.

I know I can just render the scene(s) and see what it looks like then, but even that takes over an hour. So spending so long waiting for a scene to render to then notice a few things that need correcting and waiting another hour+ for the finished article is another buzzkiller for me.

• 6GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
Not answering your initial question but I'd suggest making great use of a Scene Optimizer if you aren't already (can't find a link, it'll be on 3d-load somewhere, if you can't find it send me a message and I'll upload it somewhere).

I worked on a 1gb 860m for a long while and it's an absolute life saver, even if it's just for previewing you can store your texture state and reload it for the final render. It's not going to make your rendering super snappy or anything but it can make previewing your scene easier if you really crank down the resolution of your textures.

As to your actual question, CPU isn't that important for rendering but can be when it comes to iray preview (especially if you want to change things while in iray preview), I went from an 860m to a 1050ti and an i7 to an i5. The 1050ti handles rendering in preview extremely well but the i5 really struggles to move things about though it could just be that I'm noticing the difference more now that I can actually use the preview properly.

So yeah, for rendering just get the best GPU with the most memory you can, when I last looked that was a 1080ti with 11gb of ram but that is going to cost you a small fortune so it's probably worth looking into other ways you can boost your productivity, rendering over night and rendering separate objects and compositing them later for example.

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018

• 6GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
As snarkfu said, I'd also really recommend having a desktop instead. Another possibility, if you're too low on cash for that, would be to get an external GPU. A 1060 with a $40 adapter might be affordable to you, though you might have to make sacrifices to be able to use an adapter if you don't have a usb c connection (thunderbolt might be required, I'm not sure)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Not answering your initial question but I'd suggest making great use of a Scene Optimizer if you aren't already (can't find a link, it'll be on 3d-load somewhere, if you can't find it send me a message and I'll upload it somewhere).

I worked on a 1gb 860m for a long while and it's an absolute life saver, even if it's just for previewing you can store your texture state and reload it for the final render. It's not going to make your rendering super snappy or anything but it can make previewing your scene easier if you really crank down the resolution of your textures.

As to your actual question, CPU isn't that important for rendering but can be when it comes to iray preview (especially if you want to change things while in iray preview), I went from an 860m to a 1050ti and an i7 to an i5. The 1050ti handles rendering in preview extremely well but the i5 really struggles to move things about though it could just be that I'm noticing the difference more now that I can actually use the preview properly.

So yeah, for rendering just get the best GPU with the most memory you can, when I last looked that was a 1080ti with 11gb of ram but that is going to cost you a small fortune so it's probably worth looking into other ways you can boost your productivity, rendering over night and rendering separate objects and compositing them later for example.

Reactions: Snarkfu

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I was wondering, what are the ideal tech specs for working with Daz? In other words, what should I ideally have in terms of RAM, Graphics Card, processor, etc? I have some money that I could possibly use to upgrade my laptop or buy a new one, I just need to know what the best specs are to see if I have enough money, otherwise it's looking like I'm going to have to give up before I even begin.
If you're going to get serious with Daz, the single most important thing is an NVidia GPU, since this is what iRay will use to hardware accelerate your renders. It has to be NVidia - other GPU's (AMD, or the Intel one built into many laptops) won't cut it. If you're going to stick with a laptop, that probably puts you over into the "gaming sector," where laptops are available with decent NVidia GPU's. As just one example, Alienware makes laptops with NVidia GPU's.

That being said, as was recommended above, you may want to consider a desktop instead of a laptop. You'll have more choices in terms of hardware combinations. In addition, serious iRay rendering can be harder on your system heat-wise than gaming generally is, so it might overstress a laptop's cooling system unless you get a top quality one. A desktop also gives you more options for later - adding a second GPU, for example.

Depending on what kind of connectors your current laptop has, an external GPU box (a.k.a. eGPU) add-on might be an option. Going that route might minimize your total investment, as you wouldn't necessarily have to discard your current laptop, and could put the money into a higher-end GPU.

Among NVidia GPU's, you're looking at three basic quantities - cores, clock speed and memory. Video RAM will determine how big a scene can be hardware rendered. As was mentioned above, Scene Optimizer is a great tool to get more scene into your card. Basically, most Daz assets come with textures that are VERY high-resolution, just in case you decide to render an extreme closeup of that character's fingernail. For average scenes, they're complete overkill. So Scene Optimizer lets you substitute a lower-resolution texture which, in 99% of the cases, looks perfectly good. (I've run into a few situations in which it can make skins look a bit waxy - haven't investigated which map was to blame.)

Cores and clock speed all go to the performance of the card - the rate at which it will render is effectively proportional to both. (But overclocking to try to get better render speed isn't a good idea because of the heating issue I mentioned early.) But if you're trying to guess rendering speed comparisons between two different cards to do that bang-vs-buck tradeoff, they're a useful metric.

The new NVidia RTX cards are looking interesting, but they're quite expensive by comparison to the previous generation. Right now (as was indicated) they're only supported in the 4.11 beta. Nobody outside of Daz and NVidia know for certain, but the evidence suggests that iRay will not be taking advantage of the ray tracking features that were new in the RTX series. (I could be proven wrong - that just seems to be the current "take" on that.) This means you might be better of just sticking with the 10x0 generation, rather than paying the premium for the 20x0 generation. I'm having VERY good luck with my 1080's (not the Ti's) - they have 8GB of VRAM. After Windows steals some (which it always does), that means I have upwards of 6GB available for render. With judicious use of Scene Optimizer, I haven't had a scene yet that I couldn't render, even with 6+ characters and scenery. So you can do pretty well with that generation. Of course, the Ti's have more RAM and marginally better performance, but the question is whether it's worth it.

As for the rest, your CPU really doesn't factor into the rendering part of things if you've got a working GPU. You'll certainly want a minimum of 16Gb of RAM, but that's just about de rigeur for Windows these days. And storage? Well, that all depends on how many Daz assets you accumulate, but those can be put on an external drive if you need to.

Anyway, that's my take on the matter, for what it's worth.