I Want A Make A Game and I Need Advice

Yamizaki

Nov 8, 2017
Hey guys, I've downloaded over 20Gb of games from this website and after the last game I played I've been inspired enough to create my own game for you guys to enjoy.

My question is, how do i do that? I have RPG Maker MV ready to go but do i really have to make my own custom maps? Are there any I can recycle/use that are laying around on this website or some others? Will i need to code? Will it be hard to use this?

I also have the Daz creator thing but what model do you guys recommend I use for the game. I notice nearly 75% of the games here use Daz Renders so what model do you guys think they use for high quality and what not? Also there is no way in hell ill be spending over $1k on outfits and maps on their website so is their anyway for me to get free clothing, rooms, hair, etc etc?

Please help me out guys and thanks for the help/advice :)

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I have RPG Maker MV ready to go but do i really have to make my own custom maps? Are there any I can recycle/use that are laying around on this website or some others?
Well I have seen quite a few games use the same maps, so there's probably a place that shares them. Alternatively you should be able to rip them off of other games and use them. However thisi s the smallest problem you're gonna have.

Will i need to code?
Well, yeah... Kinda. RPGmaker works a lot like pseudo code if you don't plan on going too deep. You set flags and triggers. Set up switches and variables. Can't make shit without that, tbh. So at least a little bit of pseudo-coding is definitely needed.

Will it be hard to use this?
Depends heavily on your knowledge of this stuff. It seems to me, like you have no clue (no offense). So you should first watch a bunch of tutorials. There's plenty of those.

Also there is no way in hell ill be spending over $1k on outfits and maps on their website so is their anyway for me to get free clothing, rooms, hair, etc etc?
Come on...

Yamizaki

Nov 8, 2017
Well I have seen quite a few games use the same maps, so there's probably a place that shares them. Alternatively you should be able to rip them off of other games and use them. However thisi s the smallest problem you're gonna have.

Well, yeah... Kinda. RPGmaker works a lot like pseudo code if you don't plan on going too deep. You set flags and triggers. Set up switches and variables. Can't make shit without that, tbh. So at least a little bit of pseudo-coding is definitely needed.

Depends heavily on your knowledge of this stuff. It seems to me, like you have no clue (no offense). So you should first watch a bunch of tutorials. There's plenty of those.

Come on...
Lmao yup i dont know jack shit when it comes to coding but darn I didn't want to go to renpy since some of the best (and longer) games are used with rpg maker lol

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Well, you'll need some coding for ren'py too.
Both engines need some, even though little coding knowledge.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Honestly, you should figure out what you want the game to be about, how it will work, how it will end, and what assets you're willing/able to create/find, before deciding what engine to use. Once you've done that, then you should choose the most appropriate engine for your needs.

Also, I highly recommend starting out with a small, simple game to start with. Too many people try to start with some grand, open world adventure, only to burn out once they realize how much work that takes. It's far better to start simple, learn a few things, create a few tools, and then you can build on that knowledge in the next game. Only once you've built up a nice toolkit and racked up enough experience should you start delving into bigger, more complex games.

To put it simply: Learn to swim before you dive into the deep end.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
The subject of free assets for Daz Studio has been covered a number of times now.

This post I made talks about a few of them:

The Daz3D store also has a freebies section. A lot of those are textures for other products, but a number of outfits and locations are made available for a short time, with new freebies posted every few weeks. Plus there's Plat Club weekly freebies, but that requires a Plat Club membership which costs money.

Plus there's the bucaneer sites if the 'bootleg' content interests you, and there's some of that booty in another section of this forum (Art Assets).

As for your choice r.e. using RPG Maker, be aware that a number of people despise RPG Maker games which have a bunch of walking around for no good purpose. So my advice to you is, if you plan to have this mechanic in your game, it'd better be for a good reason.

This is a major reason Renpy games have become so popular here. Most Renpy games with area maps are simple 'click to go there' affairs, without having to navigate the areas between locations. This translates to less/virtually no walking time, and hence more quality sexy fun time (in percentage of time spent playing) with the story characters.

Yamizaki

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! So far I've decided I'm going a short story vn route as my first game using Ren'py! Also I have this basic desktop and I was wondering if it was enough to run Daz smoothly. What do you guys think?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! So far I've decided I'm going a short story vn route as my first game using Ren'py! Also I have this basic desktop and I was wondering if it was enough to run Daz smoothly. What do you guys think?
When I first learned Daz Studio, I was using that very processor (A8-6410), but in a laptop format. The APU is pretty much useless for Iray, but you can use it to drive the viewport which helps that at least. Renders were slow and took a long time, but it wasn't impossible, just painfully slow.

If your desktop has a PCIe-16 slot, you could upgrade it with an Nvidia card. My laptop had no such upgrade option, but you mentioned desktop, and desktop motherboards usually have one or more PCIe slots.

The general recommendation is the more VRAM on the (Nvidia) video card the better, so that'll depend on your budget. Also, you'll need to make sure the power supply is up to the job.

There are other rendering options for Daz (3Delight mainly), but most people design their products for and use Iray. Those other options use the CPU for renders, and the A8-6410 is a pretty low end processor these days, so again it'll be painfully slow.

You can do smaller renders and keep your backgrounds simple to help keep your rendering times down, but ideally you need either a decent Nvidia video card for Iray, or a better CPU if you aren't doing Iray.

You can 'make do' until you are able to afford an upgrade, it'll just be slooooow.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
You can learn the coding needed in the run, googling "rpg maker mv + shit you want to do" will normally turn god results, especially for more basic stuff. Also, Youtube has tons of videos on eventing and mapping.