Ren'Py I recently started development on my own game: Birdboy.

KTRIOS

Jun 3, 2017
Hey, for a while now I've been wanting to create my own adult game or visual novel but I wanted to wait until I had a good, interesting idea. I recently came up with Birdboy!

Birdboy is a game set in the DC Universe, Gotham specifically. You play as Robin. Batman has recently left for a long-term mission, off-planet, with a number of other members of the Justice League, leaving you to fight crime alone in Gotham. All goes well until Harley Quinn hatches a plan to get closer to Robin while working with other characters in Gotham to awaken him sexually.

At the start of the game, Robin is a prude, only interested in fighting villains, but Harley Quinn takes him on as her personal project. The game isn't just going to be about Robin and Harley having sex, Harley's main role will be as more of a cupid-type character, as well as the main antagonist.

I'm doing well with the art and the writing, but I'm completely new to the coding side of things. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of useful resources and tutorials for Ren'Py, outside of the documentation on the Ren'Py website. One of the main things I want to implement is a map of Gotham which the player can navigate, it's stuff like that that I'm having trouble finding information on. I welcome any suggestions, thanks.

Last edited:

Blazblue

Also known as 'Blazblue'
Donor
May 13, 2017
The idea of Robin not being a pervert right off the start sounds interesting, mostly because it's pretty rare for a male protagonist. I'm not entirely sold on him being the sole target of Harley's plan, though.

The way I see it, if I may, Robin being corrupted could have some sort of domino effect on other good characters. After spending enough time getting abused by Harley and co, why not have him try some of that with Batgirl and other female heroes?

If reverse corruption (MC corrupted) is what you're aiming for, though, forget what I said and just do your thing!

Reactions: KTRIOS

KTRIOS

Jun 3, 2017
The idea of Robin not being a pervert right off the start sounds interesting, mostly because it's pretty rare for a male protagonist. I'm not entirely sold on him being the sole target of Harley's plan, though.

The way I see it, if I may, Robin being corrupted could have some sort of domino effect on other good characters. After spending enough time getting abused by Harley and co, why not have him try some of that with Batgirl and other female heroes?

If reverse corruption (MC corrupted) is what you're aiming for, though, forget what I said and just do your thing!
I like your suggestions. I do plan on the story being about Robin's corruption, and so far I've only thought about people like Poison Ivy and Catwoman becoming involved. But now that you mention Batgirl, I love the idea of involving her, maybe seeing her becoming as corrupt as well, not as the main character, but influenced by Robin. Or maybe she's into it from the start? She could be the angel on Robin's shoulder, opposite Harley, until she becomes corrupt as well. I really like the idea that the ultimate goal is to see all of Gotham corrupt. I feel like I'm saying "corrupt" too much.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Good enough premise, Gotham is the lair of many sexy ladies after all, I men, you've got Harley, Ivy, Batwoman, Vicki Vale, Batgirl, Huntress, Catwoman, Spoiler, Cass (with whatever name she goes by these days), the possibilities are limitless.

Also, by Robin I assume you mean Dick? A.k.a. guy with the most desired ass in the DCU.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
not being a pervert right off the start sounds interesting
Indeed, we don't see enough games corrupting the player character. Most of these games cater to the stereotypical horny hormonal adolescent player, completely overlooking the soy generation of players, who aren't even sure they should have a penis or not, let alone wanting to use it. Robin is a brilliant choice. Hipster by day, and then he put on the tights to defend people's feelings throughout Gotham by night.

KTRIOS

Jun 3, 2017
Good enough premise, Gotham is the lair of many sexy ladies after all, I men, you've got Harley, Ivy, Batwoman, Vicki Vale, Batgirl, Huntress, Catwoman, Spoiler, Cass (with whatever name she goes by these days), the possibilities are limitless.

Also, by Robin I assume you mean Dick? A.k.a. guy with the most desired ass in the DCU.
I was actually thinking Damian. I think his attitude will fit well with the prudishness. I wrote an early scene where Dick comes to Gotham to fill in for Batman while he's away, even though Damian says he doesn't need a babysitter. Then Dick is called back to Bludhaven to take care of something and he asks Damian not to tell Bruce that he left him alone.

Dictateur

Aug 7, 2016

With a name like that, I can't see no one else for the role. (Sorry Jason, Damian)

revan335

Aug 5, 2016
Yeah that makes sense. Damian's personality will make the game interesting. Are you thinking that you will have multiple endings based on player decisions or just one? For example Damian can end up dating Batgirl or supergirl. Or maybe start working with Ivy and Harley?

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Damian works too, though I think he is too young for this sort of game.

KTRIOS

Jun 3, 2017
Are you thinking that you will have multiple endings based on player decisions or just one?
I haven't put much thought into multiple endings yet, but that's definitely a possibility. I don't see this game involving much dating though, unless it makes narrative sense.

Reactions: revan335

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
To me parody games need a corrupting an established "pure" character. Akabur games, 4elements trainer does that okay.
Other parodies that don't do that I just don't see why you wouldn't create an original setting. Why have it be set in dc universe? Is it some tradition of having written fanfic of an established universe or something?

KTRIOS

Jun 3, 2017
To me parody games need a corrupting an established "pure" character. Akabur games, 4elements trainer does that okay.
Other parodies that don't do that I just don't see why you wouldn't create an original setting. Why have it be set in dc universe? Is it some tradition of having written fanfic of an established universe or something?
I see my version of Robin being pretty pure, but I don't see it taking very long for Harley to completely corrupt him, at which point the game will become more about him corrupting other characters in the DC universe. As for why I chose the DC universe instead of an original setting, it's mostly because I wanted to create a truly compelling story above all else, and creating an original story with original characters and world building is a huge undertaking on top of what is already a challenging task (creating a game for the first time). So, as for picking an already established universe, I'm a big fan of DC Comics, I know a lot about their lore and characters, plus I have a big thing for Harley Quinn.

KTRIOS

Jun 3, 2017
I prefer the usuall way of doing the whole corruption thing(Akabur style), but your idea sounds interesting enough. The important thing is to make a quality game. Work on the presentation and game design. Don't go crazy with the number of mechanics and characters, and don't let the game become a grind fest. Remember that less is always more.
While I love Akabur's games, I want to make something original, although some of what I have planned is for sure influenced by his work. And thanks for the advice, I am worried about trying to be too ambitious, I don't want to start something I won't be able to finish, but I also don't just want to make a simple VN.

Lee-g88

Mar 26, 2018
I'm curious how the gameplay would work. If the player is in control of Robin then how does Harley's influence corrupt robin? Because it sounds like the player is being corrupted rather than the player corrupting someone else

kenshiroken

Mar 8, 2018
I'm curious how the gameplay would work. If the player is in control of Robin then how does Harley's influence corrupt robin? Because it sounds like the player is being corrupted rather than the player corrupting someone else
maybe like somethings unlimited the game with lex luthor and the girls in the dc universe

Lee-g88

Mar 26, 2018
I can understand that if it was Harley who the playable character. But doesn't leave much space for the player to have free will if they play as Robin (the character who is being manipulated)

Reactions: Æstro