I need a bit of input for a project....

What method do you prefer in games regarding attribute changes, quest/story progression and alike:

• Keep me in the dark - i love surprises

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • If it is important let me clearly know about stuff

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Give me a few hints here and there so i can use my brain

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I want a clear explanation for core mechanics - i figure out the rest by myself

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Who needs info? I am code-savy and simply dig it out of your source code

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Neither of the above - i just use a cheat engine to overcome obstacles

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I am a bit at a crossroads with a project and would like to get some external input for that - so here goes the poll:

Reactions: DreamSlayer

towboat

Donor
May 8, 2017
Do you mean if you were to change aspects of the story line what would you tell your audience about said update? For me personally at least with games that revolve heavily on story I prefer to play them for myself because it gives me an opportunity to better experience it.

That's why I like games where most of the story telling isn't really revealed during their development and that characters that I am able to explore and understand for myself, pardon if I misunderstood your question.

ThorMcBalbo

May 12, 2017
Give me a few hints here and there so i can use my brain.

the thing that i hate the most is like lida's adventure 0.8 where you run aimlessly for 1.5 hours for nothing. i don't even care about grinding or else, just don't make wander around

Last edited:

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Do you mean if you were to change aspects of the story line what would you tell your audience about said update? For me personally at least with games that revolve heavily on story I prefer to play them for myself because it gives me an opportunity to better experience it.

That's why I like games where most of the story telling isn't really revealed during their development and that characters that I am able to explore and understand for myself, pardon if I misunderstood your question.

Your answer is highly appreciated - i wanted varied feedback and kept the answers a bit broader for that reason.

sansusername

May 4, 2017
in terms of hidden stats, i'm not a huge fan. DMD is doing it right now, and i am glad that the walkthrough is there to help me know which choices will affect them. I enjoy knowing what i'm building.

Reactions: toolkitxx

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Give me a few hints here and there so i can use my brain.

the thing that i hate the most is like lida's adventure 0.8 where you run aimlessly for 1.5 hours for nothing. i don't even care about grinding or else, just don't make wonder around
Got it - no aimless wandering for you my friend :)

If i would provide you with lets say a time window and provide you with the info there might be something to be done in a certain area - would you go there and expect it to happen or could you accept a certain randomness?

Last edited:
Reactions: ThorMcBalbo

sansusername

May 4, 2017
there's a classic game out there call Date Ariane - One of the nice features in that game was when you made a choice, a popup would appear to let you know that Ariane's opinion has changed in someway, so even if we didn't get a page to goto to check where we were at with her, we had the ability to see that we've made a good or bad choice. I did like that.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I've always liked the character creation screen at the beginning of the game where the player can customize the MC to match their player-style, their own sexual preference, strengths and weaknesses. That way the player can easily relate to the MC. Like... I'm a mage, I have no real-world skills, use my butthole as you please. Or I'm a paladin, not too bright, but I workout a lot, and I can kick some ass. tis but a scratch I don't run from a fight . Or I'm a cat-person, I can run fast, and i'm sneaky, my fur is really soft, and it has flavor.
When they level-up, again let them choose how to spend their rewards "improving" their character.

nuclearnemo

Aug 5, 2016
I usually use prefer using a walkthrough (so that i don't run into unwanted scenes, or that i know beforehand what to expect). But since if i have to play it without a walkthrough i prefer it if it was a clear cut explanation, there can be hidden variables, but not to much. I do like it, if i can take my time exploring a map, meaning that i don't feel confortable with time based or random events. Well once or twice is not bad, but it should be clear that there is a time limit and it shouldn't be to hard.......or something like that. It is hard to pin down exactly what I prefer do.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I usually use prefer using a walkthrough (so that i don't run into unwanted scenes, or that i know beforehand what to expect). But since if i have to play it without a walkthrough i prefer it if it was a clear cut explanation, there can be hidden variables, but not to much. I do like it, if i can take my time exploring a map, meaning that i don't feel confortable with time based or random events. Well once or twice is not bad, but it should be clear that there is a time limit and it shouldn't be to hard.......or something like that. It is hard to pin down exactly what I prefer do.
Thanks for the detailed answer. If i may: Assuming the map itself is known to you but encounters are somewhat random - how often would you max be willing to visit a location before you would expect a result?

nuclearnemo

Aug 5, 2016
Thanks for the detailed answer. If i may: Assuming the map itself is known to you but encounters are somewhat random - how often would you max be willing to visit a location before you would expect a result?
Depends mostly on what kind of random events they are. If they are purely for grinding purpose then i rather not do it to much. But for events, it depends on the if the event is interesting enough. if they are minor events i rather not visit to much, if they are major events, well i need to do it if its big.

summerjo

May 9, 2017
I do like a game to be a bit challenging, but not endless grinding.

I have played a game or two that had hidden "quests" and etc, but I didn't know as there were no hints at all. In one of those games, the opportunity was lost after I took other actions. That was disappointing.
I'm not saying I want a 100% walk-through, but at least a hint of something is great .

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
hope i'm not to late with the vote . But for me a hint system works fine you don't want to be babysat all the way through a game ie walkthrough as i feel that takes away the essence of the game it is their you want to beat it preferably using your own brain . But neither do you want to be left in the dark as to where to go next,as i'm sure from time to time every one gets stuck somewhere so a hint to point you in right direction is a great idea when it is needed

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Hate to do it - but statistics works best with big numbers. I need more votes for the poll please

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Another shameless bump - 34 votes dont break it in statistics - need more opinions please

Aug 5, 2016
I like clarity and complete control over everything that I can influence. I feel let down when there are stats that are never explained.
It also depends on which kind of audience you're aiming at, some won't even care about the stuff that'd give me seizures.
Although in the worst case, I just decrypt game files and sift through the source code...

Krull

Retired
GFX Designer
Respected User
Donor
Feb 1, 2017
I think core mechanics should always be clearly explained , also hints are good to have , i tried The Survival of John Smith and i liked how the answers for the questions on the date with Sunny were in her answers in Talk Options , intuitive stuff that also makes you pay attention to the dialogs , also some adventures games have a log for the dialogs so you can go back and look for hints and quest logs are always good too.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I like clarity and complete control over everything that I can influence. I feel let down when there are stats that are never explained.
It also depends on which kind of audience you're aiming at, some won't even care about the stuff that'd give me seizures.
Although in the worst case, I just decrypt game files and sift through the source code...
The part with the seizures really made me curious as i know the feeling. PM incoming

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Allright - nearly there. Bumping this as roughly 50 votes is still not enough for a good statistical decision. Double of that would be great - dont be shy and press the vote button :)