VN Ren'Py I Also work on a Game

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Hey there,

Figured I'd go ahead and make a quick intro here. Was lurking around after some people from the Summertime Saga Discord recommended I come here to talk about my game. It's still going to be a while before I truly talk about it, I want to wrap up the current build (the old ones just aren't that special) but here's a peek at it.

Sex Mockup2.png

The game is called The Turning Project, or TTP for short. It's a heavily text based Adult RPG. The game comes in three acts, the first of which is in development now and is based mainly around an ability referred to as "Influence". Influence is kind of like mind control though it doesn't work exactly like that. I'll include a couple excerpts from the game where Enigma (the strange woman that gives you the power) explains the power in more detail. (Pardon the Renpy Script, I removed most of it for the sake of reading)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

In short you don't control people's feelings, and depending on the command it could be seen as a threat. Act I essentially follows you as the player experimenting with and growing your powers. Be it through a true interest in the cast of characters, or simply to use them as your pawns you build relationships with them, get them to trust you, and you push your Influence further and further to see what you can achieve. TTP is a bit of build your own story, which takes a lot of inspiration from the movie Chronicle. You're given great power but how you end up using it is up to you, and many mistakes can be made. Those mistakes in most cases aren't "You chose the wrong choice so game over, restart" they're more of "oh shit I didn't know that would kill her!" and then your story continues (unless you revert back to an old save of course).

I'm currently working on build v0.04. My first goals are to get the game's core story from beginning to end. With Act I wrapping up by build v0.11, Act II on v0.22, Act III with v0.33, and the rest of the updates will be to add more content and polish to the game (such as making it so you can play as any gender, race, or sexual preference). I do not work on this game full time, though I very much want to. I do have a few builds online which you can play as well as a Patreon, though I do not feel I deserve your money yet. The early builds are very basic and almost entirely made by just me with little help. Build v0.04 is the first large step in the direction I want the game to take and I've luckily had some people help me out. (Like with the art).

I'll be sure to post more here when I'm further along with build v0.04, in the meantime you can follow me on Twitter or my Patreon page (you can click follow without pledging any money, you just won't see any of my sexual post). Thank you for taking the time to read my intorductory post and I look forward to being a part of this kinky ass community!

Reactions: StJesuz and Xanado

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Thank you!

Perhaps in the future I'll make a sprite-based one but I wanted to go for something within my means both financially and skill-wise so I thought text based was a good start. Plus it gives me the flexibility to make really detailed characters without also animating them and such.

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Couple of mockups I'd like feedback on if anyone is reading this n_n

Which perspective do you guys prefer? (Technically we could do both but that would mean twice as much work for each sex scene, so the total sex scenes would be half as much)

Which choice menu do you prefer?

Epadder

Programmer
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2016
Oh I've been lurking around just looking,I really like the artists style :D:love:.

As for the questions...

The perspective of the scene should (in order):
  • Just be determined by the specific sexual act
  • Do both
  • Just face the screen

I would say I like Classic NVL for convenience, but Up and Down is alright to fit the esthetic.

Reactions: DakotaLDE

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Thanks @Epaddder n_n I really liked his style too so I brought him on. He's been super busy lately so now I'm bringing on another artist to hopefully mimic his style. Had to go through like 40 artist to find someone who could mix anime and semi-realism as he does but I think I have a couple who can pull it off.

I would agree on your views with the sexual positions, both would be cool if I had just a shit ton of money to throw at the artist haha, but I think what you said is pretty much on the money. Depends on the sexual act.

I personally don't care to stare at the dude's butt, but that could be just me as a straight dude. I want to make the game at some point have the player be any gender or sexual preference they want so some players may want to see dudes asses.

As for the choice menus, Classic NVL is perhaps the easiest to implement but as you said I think the up and down one fits our aesthetic.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate others finding an interest in something I think about every day and hope to turn into something people enjoy. It's going to be quite a journey to get it self-funded but I'm excited to be on this journey n_n

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Current progress of the artist I mentioned.

Perhaps getting a bit ahead of ourselves, pregnancy isn't for a couple more updates but I wanted to make sure her sketch couldn't at all be a tracing of the current artist. She's proved that well so far, drew the character pregnant, at a different angle, and several expressions just to really show me she can do the job.

I'm happy with her work thus far and can't wait until Monday to see what she does with the coloring. n_n

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Just added "Community Goals" to the . I still don't suggest you give me money yet, not until the new build is out, but if you want to check out the page and "follow" it that would be great n_n
Community Goals 1-3.png

Last edited:

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Final sex mockup is complete. I'm happy with the results thus far. Most people want full-screen sex scenes but I want to keep the focus on gameplay. We'll see how it all turns out in the next build though.

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
I uh...made the mistake of letting the public temporarily vote on Characters and Character Aspects like Patrons get to (up until build v0.04 comes out) If you would like to suggest some last names for our previously blank slate player character, and later vote on some, you can do so now!

Please be nice and come up with believable names haha. I don't want to exclude 90% of the suggestions.

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Made some gifs trying to explain basically how the mood system will work. (Though icons might not be in the next build we'll see)
Mood-Animaiton.gif

In the example the player has influenced Carolina to take her shirt off. Let's say Tanya's mood before that action is the following;

Prior
Happy - 4
Horny - 4
Angry - 2
Scared - 0
Sad - 0

Her mood is neutral because Happy and Horny are both tied for the #1 spot so neither are in effect. After the action she gains +2 Angry making her Mood points become;

After
Happy - 4
Horny - 4
Angry - 4
Scared - 0
Sad - 0

Now she temporarily shows the Angry expression since the player has angered her, but her expression returns to neutral because now three moods are tied for the #1 spot.

Here's a slightly different example,
Mood-Animaiton2.gif

In this example the action of Influencing her to take her shirt off doesn't just increase Angry by +2 it also increases Horny by +1. Making her mood go from this;

Prior
Happy - 4
Horny - 4
Angry - 2
Scared - 0
Sad - 0

To this;

After
Happy - 4
Horny - 5
Angry - 4
Scared - 0
Sad - 0

Making Horny take the #1 spot in her feelings. Her temporary expression is still Angry because she gains more Angry points than anything else but instead of returning to a neutral expression she becomes Horny instead. The moods don't just decide what expression characters show but will also impact how they behave or react to your actions. Meaning in the second example Tanya will be more open to sexual actions now that you've got her Horny.

One of the goals with moods is to have them be tied not only to the player's actions but to time and to scripted events. An example of this would be something like, you go to meet Tanya on a date at the club which you've done multiple times but this time she's in a bad mood because some lady at the Cafe pissed her the fuck off. She's still angry from that and how you go about your actions may change. Maybe she won't react so kindly to grabbing her ass or making like she normally would, so you have to get her mood to change if you want to do those kinds of things. You could go about it however you like, maybe you ask her what happened, try to talk her through it and go on about your business. Perhaps instead you just convince her to go get hammered at the bar and alter her mood that way. What you do will be up to you.

If a character's mood is beyond what you might be able to handle, just give them some time to themselves and it will eventually go down. I'll probably make it so that all mood points go down -2 everytime a character goes to sleep for the day, and since moods cap at 10, then it will take a max of 5 days to have moods go down to 0 (unless something else happens to the character). The mood mechanic, much like many of the mechanics I want to implement, is being designed so that The Turning Project has a more sandbox, replayable feel to it. I'm designing it with a "game's as a service" mentality and I don't mean that in a Destiny kind of way where it's about grinding and buying DLC, but that if you play this game as we develop it you're not just getting another hour of content to a linear story with an update, you're getting a series of content updates that will allow you to have more experiences in the game. Meaning that if you play the game again and again you should (I hope) be able to have a unique experience each time be it by making different choices, having characters end up in situations they didn't before (perhaps you keep them from dying on another playthrough), or by playing as a different character yourself and having to totally go about things differently because you're a woman instead of a guy or such. That's the goal at least and I hope to deliver an excellent experience for you girls and guys n_n

DakotaLDE

Oct 9, 2018
Long time no post. I ended up moving over the summer and haven't been making the amount of money I used to, and the team pretty much fell apart. On the plus side I'm taking this opportunity to see if switching to Unit could make certain aspects of the project better. Means pretty much remaking the game but I think it has potential. For one my animated girls are actually animated in Unity. Struggled with that in Renpy.
TTP Unity Test2.gif