Unreal Engine Human Nature [Development Thread]

torneikas

Sep 15, 2018

0.png
Overview:
In the the cold north over 10 000 years ago you are searching your place in the world. You are rescued into a settlement run by women. Daily life revolves around simple routines and play, creating relaxed space for all kinds of fun things to happen. Life is serious but not heavy. Humans live off the land and are subject to the whims of the ancient gods. Life, in essence, is interwoven with mystery.

The gods have taken an interest on you and you uncover it's your calling to experience women. All kinds of them. Not everyone is happy with your purpose however. Tribes cannot risk having new mouths to feed but denying natural urges isn't sustainable either. Tension keeps building up and needs to release. Not only for you but for others as well. How you thread that path and find success is up to you to discover.
Features
- 11 Women, 4 men
- Choices that affect your standing with people
- Point&Click controls and mechanics
- Orientable camera
- 6 Locations

Thread Updated: (2022-10-09 )
Release Date: TBD
Developer: torneikas

Language: English
Voices: (Fictional language)

Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Creative Philosophy:

SAMPLES/SCREENSHOTS
1f.png 1h.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Harem Trooper

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
This looks really awesome! I really like the setting with the stone age and the harem aspect.
Since its open world I fear however that mostly the "world" will be empy, lifeless which seems most such open world game to have a problem.

Reactions: torneikas

torneikas

Sep 15, 2018
Hey! Thanks for the feedback!

Since its open world I fear however that mostly the "world" will be empy, lifeless which seems most such open world game to have a problem.
I think I need to work on the messaging a bit since the game is mostly a point & click where the main story dictates things such as the season, time of day and what character prompts / discoverable items you might have. So the main loop would be going through a piece of dialogue, checking out the surroundings and what other characters think or need, then continue on with the main content (clearly signaled) when you are ready. I think for now it would be best I remove the mention of open world.

I can definitely emphasize with the burnout and proneness to disappointment of open world 3d games in the community. Doing those well is a massive amount of work, even though the end result might be cooler and more player empowering than a more linear game.

torneikas

Sep 15, 2018
Back with some October-inspired content!

Will-o'-the-wisps are one of many attempts for early humans to explain natural phenomena. Here the restless spirits are interfering with a summer welcoming ritual.

1.png

Next up is a sneak peak of an inspection ritual where the settlement's leader and elder check the women aren't carrying children. During the time it wasn't entirely clear how children come to be so every now and then the leader prefers to check up on the women. The main character gets caught spying it :)

2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

I've been also finishing up some engine update stuff. Mostly just visual sanity checking, nothing super interesting. The character portraits for example will need some focus in the future. I've done a good amount of different scenes earlier during development and now I'm sequencing those a bit more intently than before. Earlier I created a version of around 30 minutes of play time to see what kind of systems the game would need, how to approach teasing and buildup and how much player agency should there be. Now I feel I got a fairly good grasp of that so I'm revisiting a few areas.

Reactions: Harem Trooper

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
Really ? I think it was clear that you have to shag a girl to reproduce right ? Or has this lost knowledge something to do with the plot ?

torneikas

Sep 15, 2018
Really ? I think it was clear that you have to shag a girl to reproduce right ? Or has this lost knowledge something to do with the plot ?
It's something I ran into while doing research but I also figured it might be a fun thing to play around with in the story.

The communities were a lot more varied back then so we can't know with certainty what were dominant beliefs and what were something the tribes made up. I think it was known that mixing men and women could result in children but how that happens felt like a decision of the gods. In the game this is the dominant belief and Niera, the leader doesn't really want men and women doing any messing around together.

torneikas

Sep 15, 2018
torneikas Is NTR/Sharing planned?
I've been toying around with the idea of sharing and having for example a midsummer orgy way down the line. I haven't really gotten that far as to see how the thing would end up or to do it or not.

I think the closest thing right now is this group of outcast women that satisfy men in semi-public setting.
ScreenShot00082.png
A small mockup (no lighting pass and dummy animation character) of the outcast women-idea here^

I'm currently wanting to get the basic relationship building going as well as revisit the sexual act animations this weekend.