• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

how to properly edit unity3d .dat savegame ?

ttant

May 7, 2017
Hello,

Sorry if i post this thread in the wrong section, but i'm looking for a proper savegame editor tool for unity3D dat files.

Saveonlyeditor misses tons of variables and i don't know whre or if the backend tools is available somewhere else.

Does anyone know or use something else than this website ?
Thanks in advance for all yours answers.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
There's no universal tool, it's up to the dev to decide how to code their save system, each one is different.
Common solutions are to have plain visible data in json, so in some games you can just open in with a text editor and edit variables yourself.
Others use a base64, which is easy to decrypt, edit, then encrypt back.

However, if whatever you are using is missing "tons of variables", it's likely those variables are saved elsewhere in another save.

ttant

May 7, 2017
In the case i'm interested in, the save system seems to be binary.

In the attached file, you can find "AgeÙ 21" using a simple text editor. But if you change the value this way, the binary will be messed up.

using onlinesaveeditor and looking for age provide only 2 results, none of them accurate for the age variable.
I'm pretty sure thedat filecontain the whole savegame.