• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tutorial How to make transparent outfit's in DAZ 3D

Sakrilas

Just Another Member
Game Developer
Oct 26, 2017
Hey folks, I wanted to share a small trick for 3D rendering.

Part of the fun of making 3D renders is to play around with shaders to make our own materials.

I want to share how I turn anything I want into a "Transparent outfit". More experienced folks in our community might have better techniques, if you do, please don't hesitate to share it here.

In the past I would rely on "Geometry Opacity", but nowadays I would not recommend that, it will look a bit fake and the reflections will be drastically reduced. What I personally like to do these days is to use Latex shaders (or anything highly reflective/shiny/plastic). For example, something with High Glossy Reflectivity (~0.5), low Glossy Roughness (~0.25).

Then set Refraction Index to something low (~1.5) and Refraction Weight to something high (I used 75% in my example image below), Refraction color must be super bright. (In my example render I used full White, but if you want a "red transparent suit" for example, you want to set the Refraction color to be very very bright red, pretty much a pinkish white).

That's pretty much it!

Here's a demonstration of this technique: Left side is using Original textures. Right side has my modifications via shaders.

1700369311730.png
I hope this helps anyone reading this.

If anyone is interested in seeing the full resolution of these images, you can check it out here.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Cheers!

Giacomo-Bedardet

May 29, 2022
Thanks for sharing this. Like you, in the past I too have selected the opacity setting and simply made do with that. Your suggestion works miles better and I'm most grateful to you for the heads-up. Cheers

• Red Heart
Reactions: Sakrilas