Daz Tutorial How to install Daz3D on Linux - updated with new method

BitaDev

Feb 11, 2022
Hey that worked. I was using ROCm for stable-diffusion when I was playing around with that about a month ago. Haven't really used it since so it wasn't a big deal to remove.

I first tried just installing opencl-mesa and that didn't work and I really didn't feel like messing with the path variables so I just removed ROCm.

Thanks for the help!

Dir.Fred

Sep 20, 2021
1. Download and unzip the attachment to this post. Additionally, download the DIM installer from .
2. Open Lutris. Click on the plus icon at the top left and select "Install from a local install script."
3. Locate and select the DIM 01-daz-install-manager.yml
4. Click the "Install" button ...
Thanks again for this. I just revisited this (as a Lutris first timer) and got as far as step 2. :oops:

After clicking the plus icon I get a four-tab dialogue box asking for details of the game etc. There's no spot to run the install script. In fact I can't find how to run the script anywhere in the Lutris gui. Either I'm missing something obvious or they've updated Lutris and I need a pointer on how to run these scripts. Googling was unhelpful. :(

Edit: I found the CLI so I ran lutris -i on the 01 DIM script. It seemed to run OK but refused to launch - Lutris said it was running but nothing happened.

Last edited:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Thanks again for this. I just revisited this (as a Lutris first timer) and got as far as step 2. :oops:

After clicking the plus icon I get a four-tab dialogue box asking for details of the game etc. There's no spot to run the install script. In fact I can't find how to run the script anywhere in the Lutris gui. Either I'm missing something obvious or they've updated Lutris and I need a pointer on how to run these scripts. Googling was unhelpful. :(

Edit: I found the CLI so I ran lutris -i on the 01 DIM script. It seemed to run OK but refused to launch - Lutris said it was running but nothing happened.
I'm currently running Lutris 0.5.12 and it looks like the ability to run install scripts through the UI was added in 0.15.10 (Apr 1, 2022). If you're running an older version of Lutris, you're pretty much on your own, but I'll give some pointers.

(This is what the UI looks like from 0.15.10+.)
1671861443876.png

If you want to install the game but can't or won't update to a more modern version of Lutris for any reason, you can just open the install scripts and read what they do. I'll give loose directions for a manual install as well:
  1. Create a new game in Lutris. This one will be Daz Install Manager.
  2. Match the game's Lutris configuration to what is specified in the wine and system sections of the 01-daz-install-manager.yml file.
  3. Use the "Run EXE in Wine prefix" function of Lutris to run the DIM installer.
  4. Point Lutris's game executable at the location of the DIM exe in the prefix.
  5. Run DIM and use it to install Daz Studio.
  6. Create another game in Lutris, this time for Daz Studio itself.
  7. Use the same configuration as you did for DIM.
  8. Download . Copy from the archive as described in the 01-daz-install-manager.yml file.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Dir.Fred

Dir.Fred

Sep 20, 2021
Thanks so much for taking the time to help. I just used 'sudo apt install lutris' on Mint 21. Old habits die hard. Looks like they've still got 0.5.9.1.
I may upgrade that or I may follow your instructions later when I get the chance. Tbh it crossed my mind to read the yaml's and manually copy settings but I was pressed for time and feared more rabbit-holes that you'd already tried to avoid for me if that makes sense.
Anyway, thanks again - all sounds very promising and I'll let you know how I get on.

Dir.Fred

Sep 20, 2021
Massive credit goes out to / for their work getting iray to work properly under wine! The install script below could not exist without their work.
At some point, the instructions I posted above about getting Daz to use GPU rendering under wine stopped functioning, so recently I have been looking into fixing everything.
Rather than providing a convoluted list of instructions, I have instead decided to write a Lutris install script which will automatically setup your Daz prefix, install DIM, and provide shortcuts to launch DIM and Daz.

Lutris Install Guide
  1. Download and unzip the attachment to this post. Additionally, download the DIM installer from .
  2. Open Lutris. Click on the plus icon at the top left and select "Install from a local install script."
  3. Locate and select the DIM 01-daz-install-manager.yml
  4. Click the "Install" button.
  5. Change the installation directory to wherever you want your Daz prefix to be. Remember this path as you will need it later.
  6. Select any shortcuts that you want and click the "Install" button at the bottom-right.
  7. Locate the DIM install exe you downloaded at step 1 and click on "Continue".
  8. Upon completion, launch DIM.
  9. Login and select "Start Queue." DIM will automatically download and install everything you need for a basic Daz install.
  10. Upon completion, repeat step 2 and 3, picking the 02-daz-studio.yml file this time.
  11. Change the installation directory to the same one you chose in step 5.
  12. Go through the rest of the process.
You will now have two shortcuts in Lutris which will install DIM and Daz respectively.

An update from me as promised. I installed flatpak Lutris and got the latest version.
I then tore through these instructions and had Daz running with full GPU within what feels like seconds.
You're a legend.

I've not done much testing yet tbh. Was in a hurry to come here and cheer. But it seems pretty damn snappy, DB works, GPU shows up to party and everything. Finally!

This is really a very friendly way to get Daz on Linux, folks. :geek:

Thank you, SomeGuyWithNoImagination!

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
An update from me as promised. I installed flatpak Lutris and got the latest version.
I then tore through these instructions and had Daz running with full GPU within what feels like seconds.
You're a legend.

I've not done much testing yet tbh. Was in a hurry to come here and cheer. But it seems pretty damn snappy, DB works, GPU shows up to party and everything. Finally!

This is really a very friendly way to get Daz on Linux, folks. :geek:

Thank you, SomeGuyWithNoImagination!
There are a couple quirks with Daz on Linux, but as far as I'm aware, everything works more or less as it does on Windows.

- dForce on GPU seems to be super buggy, and is slower than it is on CPU (using pocl)
- The viewport is always one update behind until you bring your cursor over it. You can notice it if you change any slider.
- Render Queue needs a modified bat script to function since Wine doesn't have some of the commands it uses by default implemented. I do not know about Render Queue 3, but I'd guess it's also the same.

Otherwise, everything works. Rendering as far as I can tell is a similar speed, though I've never benchmarked it, and as long as you don't break your database, everything should work without caveats.

Reactions: Dir.Fred

Dir.Fred

Sep 20, 2021
I just had to follow up with another thanks when I realized that it's nearly three months since I had to use Windows for anything. Not once.
That's the longest I've gone without Windows since 3.0.

In fact, that particular milestone probably passed about two-and-a-half months ago. ;)

I'm about to edit GRUB to boot quicker on my daily driver because it's so incredibly unlikely that I'll need the Windows partition for anything other than unimagined emergencies or Windows-based firmware updates.

Finally free at last and this Lutris solution for Daz was apparently the last step I needed.

Feels good. :geek:

Thanks again.

P.S. In fairness, Steam also gets a lot of credit for keeping almost my entire games library playable. ;)

P.P.S. I don't have any problems with dForce. The only problem I seem to have in fact is that viewport update glitch you mentioned, which is so easily worked around that I've almost forgotten I'm doing it.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Edit: Setting up the DazToBlender bridge actually wasn't hard. I added the instructions to the OP. Now let's see if i can start 3D printing Daz figures. Just what i needed--another big time sink...

Last edited:

Am2AThing

Jan 27, 2020
There is no option to install from a script in Lutris 0.5.9.1-1 using the + in the upper left. Any suggestions for that?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel: Linux 5.15.0-70-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
RAM: 62.4 GB

Guild Wars 2 is installed via Lutris, and seems to work fine, but the process was direct rather than manual.

Any help anyone can provide would be hugely appreciated. DAZ3D is the ONLY program I haven't been able to get into my computer and I really want to leave Windows behind. Thanks in advance!

ETA: I am still kind of new to Linux, but I found the difference between apt and flatpak, and installed the flatpak of Lutris, and now have the prompt from the +. I noticed the versions mentioned here were LATER than the one I installed. I don't know how much it may mess up my Guild Wars installation, but I figure that can be put back in if needed.

I'll report back on the results, but I'm pretty hopeful now.

I did get it running, but the shortcuts didn't work.

After much experimentation, and seeing where things went, I'm starting over again.\

For some reason, the DAZ3D folder file is being installed under the Download manager's folder, instead of its own folder under Program files. There is no DAZ3D folder under Program Files, and I get a path error for the DAZ studio .exe file to be under the top level folder rather than inside the DIM folder. There's a C\Program Files inside the DIM folder that's already IN the C\Program Files folder where the .exe is installed.

Now, since I know that MIGHT work (because I used the shortcut on the downloader to get DAZ to run), I'm going to configure the script-created shortcut and working folders and all to simply go to the installed .exe instead of the pre-programmed path. Assuming that works, great, I'll figure out where the content went and put it where it needs to go. I have a bit of a clue where that stuff was, since I backed it all up before.

If that doesn't work as expected... I'm running out of ideas here...

It doesn't work. I'm completely out of ideas here, now.

HELP!

Last edited:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
There is no option to install from a script in Lutris 0.5.9.1-1 using the + in the upper left. Any suggestions for that?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel: Linux 5.15.0-70-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
RAM: 62.4 GB

Guild Wars 2 is installed via Lutris, and seems to work fine, but the process was direct rather than manual.

Any help anyone can provide would be hugely appreciated. DAZ3D is the ONLY program I haven't been able to get into my computer and I really want to leave Windows behind. Thanks in advance!

ETA: I am still kind of new to Linux, but I found the difference between apt and flatpak, and installed the flatpak of Lutris, and now have the prompt from the +. I noticed the versions mentioned here were LATER than the one I installed. I don't know how much it may mess up my Guild Wars installation, but I figure that can be put back in if needed.

I'll report back on the results, but I'm pretty hopeful now.
Glad you got it figured out. It seems that some distros are staying with a quite old version of Lutris, and you're not the first person to find yourself with that situation. I've updated my post with a note about that. Hope all goes well.

Am2AThing

Jan 27, 2020
Glad you got it figured out. It seems that some distros are staying with a quite old version of Lutris, and you're not the first person to find yourself with that situation. I've updated my post with a note about that. Hope all goes well.
Unfortunately, as I later noted, not so much...

The scripts put the DAZ Studio into a drive_c inside the DIM installer. I could launch it from the shortcut in the installer itself ONCE, and it connected to my content and all was good, but once the shortcut in the installer went bye bye, I couldn't successfully launch it with any content again.

I've run through the set-up several times, and still don't have any content, but I can find it where the content manager says it is using the file explorer.

I get a resource error message on start-up that says a valid postgreSQL CMS connection could not be established. I can SEE the CMS folder and files in the Linux file explorer, but can't get the content manager to show the DAZ folder in the in-app file explorer, and I can't manually add that path.

So I be stumped at the moment... Any ideas there?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Screenshot at 2023-04-23 13-11-47.png Screenshot at 2023-04-23 13-09-46.png

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
The scripts put the DAZ Studio into a drive_c inside the DIM installer. I could launch it from the shortcut in the installer itself ONCE, and it connected to my content and all was good, but once the shortcut in the installer went bye bye, I couldn't successfully launch it with any content again.
For this, the first stage of the Lutris scripts (01-daz-install-manager.yml) installs DIM, which you then use to install Daz Studio. The second stage (02-daz-studio.yml) simply creates a second shortcut in Lutris to launch Daz Studio. Unless your exe for Daz Studio ends up installing to a weird place, this should work.

I don't entirely understand what you mean by "I couldn't successfully launch it with any content again," though. Are you saying that when launch Daz Studio, it loses track of the content for some reason? Are you looking at the "Smart Content" tab or the "Content Library" one? If you're using Smart Content, the reason it shows no content is because of the Postgres issue below.

I get a resource error message on start-up that says a valid postgreSQL CMS connection could not be established. I can SEE the CMS folder and files in the Linux file explorer, but can't get the content manager to show the DAZ folder in the in-app file explorer, and I can't manually add that path.
Postgres is an especially tricky part of Daz. If you've ever once kill the process (such as using the stop button on Lutris), it seemingly grows horns and actively tries to make your life difficult. I've included in my post (just updated) a script controls postgres. After setting the location of your prefix (the folder containing "drive_c"), you can run ./[scriptname] start. Once that finishes (give it a few seconds, then press enter to see if you get a bash prompt) follow it up by ./[scriptname] stop. This will effectively power cycle Postgres and it should behave after that.

Reactions: Am2AThing

Am2AThing

Jan 27, 2020
For this, the first stage of the Lutris scripts (01-daz-install-manager.yml) installs DIM, which you then use to install Daz Studio. The second stage (02-daz-studio.yml) simply creates a second shortcut in Lutris to launch Daz Studio. Unless your exe for Daz Studio ends up installing to a weird place, this should work.

I don't entirely understand what you mean by "I couldn't successfully launch it with any content again," though. Are you saying that when launch Daz Studio, it loses track of the content for some reason? Are you looking at the "Smart Content" tab or the "Content Library" one? If you're using Smart Content, the reason it shows no content is because of the Postgres issue below.

Postgres is an especially tricky part of Daz. If you've ever once kill the process (such as using the stop button on Lutris), it seemingly grows horns and actively tries to make your life difficult. I've included in my post (just updated) a script controls postgres. After setting the location of your prefix (the folder containing "drive_c"), you can run ./[scriptname] start. Once that finishes (give it a few seconds, then press enter to see if you get a bash prompt) follow it up by ./[scriptname] stop. This will effectively power cycle Postgres and it should behave after that.
The folders installing in the wrong place was, I believe, what happened, though it's hard to explain.

Inside the DIM folder, was another drive_c folder, which I think shouldn't be there, and inside that was another \drive_c\program files\dazstudio4\(etc.) tree where the studio file .exe was located inside the DIM folder. It wasn't in the same program files folder that the DIM and CMSPostgreSQL folders were in.

I got THAT configuration to run ONCE, but only using the link on the DIM in the instance, since presumably that's where it knew it had installed DAZ. Outside of that, DAZ would NOT start using installation with the scripts, saying the DazStudio .exe was missing and there were no DazStudio4 folders in the path. In other words, the script created a link to a folder that didn't exist in that location.

But unlike the DazStudio file, the CMSpostgreSQL folder IS on the same level as the DIM folder is.

I modified the location in the Lutris for both using DAZStudio in its weird location, and also moving DAZStudio folder and contents to the same folder the other two were in and setting the link in Lutris to accomodate that. In both cases, Daz would start, but no CMS or content displayed, and the file explorer in the content directory manager doesn't show any DAZ (neither the DIM or the Studio4) folders in either the right or wrong locations. It only displays Windows folders. It does not display files at all.

I've reached the limits of my skills in fixing this because it seems to be something going on in the installation. Why DIM is installing DAZStudio on a "drive_c" folder inside the DIM folder is what has me stumped, because it seems the CMS links things there, but I can't get Lutris to run DAZ with a working CMS, and I don't know how to get DAZ to run other than reinstalling completely, running the DIM and hoping I can find the DazStudio link inside that again like I did before.

Sorry for the word vomit, and I should have mentioned that before, but I was still trying to figure out what went wrong on my own,

ETA: I did see the CMS folder over on the CMS tab in the content manager preferences, but the program would not save it. Once the preferences window was closed it didn't retain it. So I don't see any way inside DAZ to link it to content or to the CMS, so it has to be something in the installation or some configuration thing. I've gone through it several times, and checked off each step, so I'm at a loss to what might be going on. I don't recall doing anything weird WRT downloads or other installations (guild wars 2 installed in Lutris just fine, as did DIM, and those are the only other programs in Lutris other than trying to install DAZ.), so I'll breathlessly await your response.

Last edited:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
The folders installing in the wrong place was, I believe, what happened, though it's hard to explain.

Inside the DIM folder, was another drive_c folder, which I think shouldn't be there, and inside that was another \drive_c\program files\dazstudio4\(etc.) tree where the studio file .exe was located inside the DIM folder. It wasn't in the same program files folder that the DIM and CMSPostgreSQL folders were in.

I got THAT configuration to run ONCE, but only using the link on the DIM in the instance, since presumably that's where it knew it had installed DAZ. Outside of that, DAZ would NOT start using installation with the scripts, saying the DazStudio .exe was missing and there were no DazStudio4 folders in the path. In other words, the script created a link to a folder that didn't exist in that location.

But unlike the DazStudio file, the CMSpostgreSQL folder IS on the same level as the DIM folder is.

I modified the location in the Lutris for both using DAZStudio in its weird location, and also moving DAZStudio folder and contents to the same folder the other two were in and setting the link in Lutris to accomodate that. In both cases, Daz would start, but no CMS or content displayed, and the file explorer in the content directory manager doesn't show any DAZ (neither the DIM or the Studio4) folders in either the right or wrong locations. It only displays Windows folders. It does not display files at all.

I've reached the limits of my skills in fixing this because it seems to be something going on in the installation. Why DIM is installing DAZStudio on a "drive_c" folder inside the DIM folder is what has me stumped, because it seems the CMS links things there, but I can't get Lutris to run DAZ with a working CMS, and I don't know how to get DAZ to run other than reinstalling completely, running the DIM and hoping I can find the DazStudio link inside that again like I did before.

Sorry for the word vomit, and I should have mentioned that before, but I was still trying to figure out what went wrong on my own,

ETA: I did see the CMS folder over on the CMS tab in the content manager preferences, but the program would not save it. Once the preferences window was closed it didn't retain it. So I don't see any way inside DAZ to link it to content or to the CMS, so it has to be something in the installation or some configuration thing. I've gone through it several times, and checked off each step, so I'm at a loss to what might be going on. I don't recall doing anything weird WRT downloads or other installations (guild wars 2 installed in Lutris just fine, as did DIM, and those are the only other programs in Lutris other than trying to install DAZ.), so I'll breathlessly await your response.
I know exactly what happened. I don't know why, but I know what happened. For some reason, everything is all over the place when it should not be.

When running installing DIM in Lutris (the first yml file), you're prompted to select an installation directory. This is the location of your Wine prefix and effectively your C:\ drive for Daz (C:\ is one folder lower than this, but I bet you understand). Remember this folder.

Key: Note that this would optimally be a new and empty folder that is not used for or by anything else. If you have an old attempt at installing Daz in that folder, just delete it and start fresh.

1682320104145.png

Once you click install, you will likely see a few prompts. Once done, you'll see this screen:
1682320498703.png

Click the 'Launch' button. This will open DIM. Log in to your Daz account and click "Start Queue." DIM will then automatically download and install Daz Studio as well as some dependencies and basic assets.
1682320605705.png

Once that is done, close DIM and start the install process for the second yml file. For the installation directory, enter the exact same folder as you did in the earlier step. You WILL see a warning about that path containing files, and that is how you know you're doing it right.
1682321573491.png

Reactions: Am2AThing

Am2AThing

Jan 27, 2020
Okay, I can see where I went wrong. I had to type in the location rather than browse to it, since the .directories don't show up.

There's already a drive_c in my wine bottle for another program, but if I'm understanding you right, I need only create a different empty folder (DAZ3D as an example) in the same level as the drive_c folder (not inside it) and select that empty folder for installation of Daz, and it should be good to go then.

* does all that *

You are a Lunix God! THANK YOU!!!!!!

PinkDaizy

May 6, 2023
Rather than providing a convoluted list of instructions, I have instead decided to write a Lutris install script which will automatically setup your Daz prefix, install DIM, and provide shortcuts to launch DIM and Daz.
Thanks for the script. I tried it out, but it doesn't work for me. After selecting everything exactly as you documented, after the installation of Mono and the creation of the prefix, when Lutris tries to execute the DIM installer I downloaded (DAZ3DIM_1.4.1.49_Win64.exe), I get an error dialog saying:

1690817812586.png

All I can do is "Abort."

Edit:
OK, I had to delete this line in your script to make it work:

Code:
args: --mode unattended
I was able to install it afterwards. After everything completed, GPU acceleration still doesn't work. A GPU shows up in advanced render settings, but instead of my GPU's name (which is an nvidia 980 Ti), a number shows up. Selecting that GPU results in iray not working and the log says "found no usable devices. Please update your NVIDIA driver."

Last edited:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Thanks for the script. I tried it out, but it doesn't work for me. After selecting everything exactly as you documented, after the installation of Mono and the creation of the prefix, when Lutris tries to execute the DIM installer I downloaded (DAZ3DIM_1.4.1.49_Win64.exe), I get an error dialog saying:

View attachment 2814839

All I can do is "Abort."

Edit:
OK, I had to delete this line in your script to make it work:

Code:
args: --mode unattended
I was able to install it afterwards. After everything completed, GPU acceleration still doesn't work. A GPU shows up in advanced render settings, but instead of my GPU's name (which is an nvidia 980 Ti), a number shows up. Selecting that GPU results in iray not working and the log says "found no usable devices. Please update your NVIDIA driver."
I'm not entirely certain what exactly happened there, since everything continues to work on a fresh prefix for me. I'd first make sure you have the proper drivers installed on your host. I use Nvidia's proprietary drivers, but might also work.

I've also attached a new set of scripts which use a slightly newer wine version and much newer libraries.

Reactions: PinkDaizy

PinkDaizy

May 6, 2023
I'm not entirely certain what exactly happened there, since everything continues to work on a fresh prefix for me. I'd first make sure you have the proper drivers installed on your host. I use Nvidia's proprietary drivers, but might also work.

I've also attached a new set of scripts which use a slightly newer wine version and much newer libraries.
Thank you. I just figured out the issue only a few minutes ago. I have to load the nvidia-uvm kernel module manually, otherwise the GPU won't show up in Daz. The command is (no root required, at least here):

nvidia-modprobe -u -c=0

Now it works.

In any event, thanks for the scripts!

Frantz Ozinky

Sep 10, 2022
Very good tutorial, I will try
I use DAZ Studio inside VM VirtualBox, it is not optimal in performance but to transfert contents to Blender it's ok