Daz Tutorial How to install Daz3D on Linux - updated with new method

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
2024-04-21: Updated to use Bottles and Daz Install Manager

▶ PREFACE
This is a better method to get Daz Studio running on Linux. The old manual method is still included in a spoiler at the bottom if needed. I use Bottles for everything and i highly recommend it. I'm also using Daz Install Manager instead of DazCentral to get Daz Studio this time, and it was so much easier and quicker.

▶ BOTTLES SETUP
Bottles is a really good app to manage wine prefixes with a GUI. Each "bottle" corresponds to one wine prefix.
  1. Install Bottles if you don't have it -->
  2. Download a runner (the runner is the flavor and version of wine you will use).
    1. Start Bottles
    2. Click the sandwich icon (looks like this: 三) in the top right and choose "Preferences"
    3. Switch to the "Runners" tab
    4. Install a runner; as of this writing i chose soda-8.0-2 and it works perfectly fine
    5. Close the preferences
  3. Create a new bottle by clicking the + icon in the top left.
    1. Name it however you want
    2. Leave the environment as "Application"
    3. Click "Create" and wait while it gets set up
  4. Go into the bottle when it's finished and leave this open for the next step
▶ INSTALLING DIM (Daz Install Manager)
Using DIM allowed me to download Daz Studio with the CMS database so that i don't need to set these up myself. Obviously you can use it to manage your Daz content too if you want.
  1. Download the installer for DIM -->
  2. In the bottle, select the 3 vertical dots icon in the top right and choose "Browse Files..."
  3. Move the DIM installer to your bottle's files; i like to put it in "users/username/Downloads/"
  4. Back in the bottle, click "Run Executable..." at the top and select the DIM installer
  5. Setup DIM as normal the way you would on Windows
▶ RUNNING DAZ STUDIO
Having installed Daz Studio in DIM, you can launch it from within DIM or use the new entry in your list of programs in the bottle.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Dir.Fred

Sep 20, 2021
Thanks so much for this. I was dreading Wining Daz. Hopefully I'll now have enough time over the break to check it out. :geek:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
When I was setting up Daz about a year ago, I found that I did not need to install Postgres system-wide and no changes to any configuration were required. On occasion, CMS will fail to start however it is common that I can simply click the "Start CMS" button in the Smart Content tab to get it running.

I also do not use Daz Central as I had significant issues getting it functional. Instead, I use DIM which has worked perfectly from the start.

Currently, I run Daz using wine-tkg and have no issues with getting the iRay to use my GPU. I do not know if this is functional on the upstream wine or wine-staging.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
When I was setting up Daz about a year ago, I found that I did not need to install Postgres system-wide and no changes to any configuration were required. On occasion, CMS will fail to start however it is common that I can simply click the "Start CMS" button in the Smart Content tab to get it running.
The first time i tried installing it without Postgres, CMS would not start under any circumstance. Maybe there's something in the Wine configuration i don't know about?
I also do not use Daz Central as I had significant issues getting it functional. Instead, I use DIM which has worked perfectly from the start.

Currently, I run Daz using wine-tkg and have no issues with getting the iRay to use my GPU. I do not know if this is functional on the upstream wine or wine-staging.
I've actually never used Daz before so i didn't know about DIM. I just clicked the download link on their website and that directs you to download Daz Central. I also don't know anything about iRay. It seems to be an Nvidia-specific feature though and i have AMD.

Thanks for the additional info though. If you want to do a write-up for using DIM instead of Daz Central, i'll link it in the main post.

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
The first time i tried installing it without Postgres, CMS would not start under any circumstance. Maybe there's something in the Wine configuration i don't know about?

I've actually never used Daz before so i didn't know about DIM. I just clicked the download link on their website and that directs you to download Daz Central. I also don't know anything about iRay. It seems to be an Nvidia-specific feature though and i have AMD.

Thanks for the additional info though. If you want to do a write-up for using DIM instead of Daz Central, i'll link it in the main post.
In order to download DIM, you need to be logged into your Daz account while on this site.

As for iRay, although it will not render using an AMD gpu, it will render on any CPU. I did some testing shortly after making that post and it appears that although Daz now detects my Nvidia gpu, it still fails to make use of it while rendering.

Dir.Fred

Sep 20, 2021
"I'm a vegetarian - do you have any veggie options?"
"Oh sure, just have a beefburger - it's way better than vegetables anyway."

There are now sadly many, many good reasons to avoid the Microsoft Windows service - especially if you don't want to unwittingly and unwillingly share your hardware's resources with Microsoft and its commercial partners.

I've been using MS products since DOS 3.30 but these days I try to only install and use operating systems that don't require me to log in to a proprietary third party cloud service just to use my computer. :geek:

"But have you seen our new app store? It has apps in it!"

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
Thanks, my first attempt to install Daz about a year ago didn't work, but this one worked fine. As long as you consider using a CPU for rendering "fine" because I can't figure out how to use the GPU. iRay only has CPU checkbox, even though troubleshooting in Daz Studio shows that I have 2060. And judging by the speed of 3Delight, it doesn't use GPU as well

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Thanks, my first attempt to install Daz about a year ago didn't work, but this one worked fine. As long as you consider using a CPU for rendering "fine" because I can't figure out how to use the GPU. iRay only has CPU checkbox, even though troubleshooting in Daz Studio shows that I have 2060. And judging by the speed of 3Delight, it doesn't use GPU as well
In my testing, Daz only detects the GPU when is used.

It appears that it might have just the right calls supported for the GPU to detect but is still missing the calls necessary for it to actually render.

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Daz can now use your GPU to render on iray on wine-staging 7.0-rc6 (staging patches are required) and if you use the latest version of from the master branch.

I also installed and however I have seen reports that they are not strictly required.

Installation Steps:
  1. Ensure you're running the Wine Staging 7.0rc6 or later. Earlier versions will not work.
  2. Download the latest version of dxvk-nvapi or compile it yourself. You can download prebuilt versions from the instead of compiling on your own. You must be logged in to download artifacts.
  3. From dxvk-nvapi, open the x64 folder and copy nvapi64.dll to [prefix]/drive_c/windows/syswow64
  4. From dxvk-nvapi, open the x32 folder and copy nvapi.dll to [prefix]/drive_c/windows/system32
  5. In winecfg, add overrides for dxgi, nvapi, and nvapi64. Set all to native.
  6. Create a copy of somewhere.
  7. Open your dxvk.conf and replace the line containing # dxgi.nvapiHack = True with dxgi.nvapiHack = False (note the removal of the # symbol)
  8. Whenever you run DAZ, ensure the environment variable DXVK_CONFIG_FILE is set to the path of your dxvk.conf file.
Regarding Postgres, it works perfectly until you kill the process. After which point it grows horns and starts to stop working. Take regular backups of your wine prefix.

Last edited:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Massive credit goes out to / for their work getting iray to work properly under wine! The install script below could not exist without their work.

At some point, the instructions I posted above about getting Daz to use GPU rendering under wine stopped functioning, so recently I have been looking into fixing everything.

Rather than providing a convoluted list of instructions, I have instead decided to write a Lutris install script which will automatically setup your Daz prefix, install DIM, and provide shortcuts to launch DIM and Daz.

The guide below assumes you have Lutris installed and are able to follow the instructions. You are not required to have any extensive knowledge of Linux or Wine to follow it. If you wish to read the script and apply what it does to your own existing wine prefixes, I expect you to know what you are doing.

Note: Lutris 0.15.10 or newer is required to use this method, since older versions did not have the UI element to run install scripts from a local file. If you are running an older version, you may either install a newer version of Lutris (flatpack, manual deb installation, etc), or you may read the install scripts and manually follow their actions.

This setup process does not require any configuration for Postgres/CMS and has functional GPU rendering out of the box. (Disregard OP and any other posts prior to this one).

Lutris Install Guide
  1. Download and unzip the attachment to this post. Additionally, download the DIM installer from .
  2. Open Lutris. Click on the plus icon at the top left and select "Install from a local install script."
  3. Locate and select the DIM 01-daz-install-manager.yml
  4. Click the "Install" button.
  5. Change the installation directory to wherever you want your Daz prefix to be. Remember this path as you will need it later.
  6. Select any shortcuts that you want and click the "Install" button at the bottom-right.
  7. Locate the DIM install exe you downloaded at step 1 and click on "Continue".
  8. Upon completion, launch DIM.
  9. Login and select "Start Queue." DIM will automatically download and install everything you need for a basic Daz install.
  10. Upon completion, repeat step 2 and 3, picking the 02-daz-studio.yml file this time.
  11. Change the installation directory to the same one you chose in step 5.
  12. Go through the rest of the process.
You will now have two shortcuts in Lutris which will install DIM and Daz respectively.

Caution: Using the "Stop" button on Lutris may forcefully kill the Postgres process which may cause instability on later startups. I very strongly advise against using the button if possible. Below is a script which you may run to gracefully close Postgres from within wine. This is useful if Daz or DIM crash or are force closed, leaving the Postgres process dangling.

Last edited:

tsuki3341

Mar 31, 2022
Any idea how to improve the performance? It seems moving around the viewport in iray preview is quite slower than on Windows, though once it starts rendering it seems to be "fast" (haven't measured). Texture shaded also seems to be very fast, the only problem is rotating/panning around in Iray preview.

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
DAZ Studio is crashing for me with the error

Any advice?
It looks like you're using OpenCL through a ROCm backend (AMD GPU?). Since I don't own one, I can't test for you, but lets run down some further information:
- What WINE version are you using?
- What changes have you made to the prefix?
- What GPU do you have? (It might be better to use the mesa backend for OpenCL.)
- What does Daz detect your GPU as? (I'm just asking for the device name.)

BitaDev

Feb 11, 2022
It looks like you're using OpenCL through a ROCm backend (AMD GPU?). Since I don't own one, I can't test for you, but lets run down some further information:
- What WINE version are you using?
- What changes have you made to the prefix?
- What GPU do you have? (It might be better to use the mesa backend for OpenCL.)
- What does Daz detect your GPU as? (I'm just asking for the device name.)
Wine: lutris-7.2-x86_64
Changes: I used the lutris scripts from the zip so only the changes it has made.
GPU: AMD RX 6800xt
What does Daz detect your GPU as?: No idea where I would see that information. Daz studio starts loading, but never opens.

Here's the output of lspci | grep -i vga though:

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] (rev c1)

I'm using amdgpu 22.0.0-1 and mesa 22.2.3-1 and vulkan-radeon 22.2.3-1.

AMD_VULKAN_ICD is set to RADV

echo $AMD_VULKAN_ICD
RADV

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Wine: lutris-7.2-x86_64
Changes: I used the lutris scripts from the zip so only the changes it has made.
GPU: AMD RX 6800xt
What does Daz detect your GPU as?: No idea where I would see that information. Daz studio starts loading, but never opens.

Here's the output of lspci | grep -i vga though:

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] (rev c1)

I'm using amdgpu 22.0.0-1 and mesa 22.2.3-1 and vulkan-radeon 22.2.3-1.

AMD_VULKAN_ICD is set to RADV

echo $AMD_VULKAN_ICD
RADV
For the record, the Lutris script applies changes that help to get Nvidia GPUs to detect, but it doesn't do anything if you don't have one. Furthermore, since the original log message is for the OpenCL implementation on your system, I suspect this is a bug to be filed with them.

That said, lets look around a bit. (Instructions are for Arch Linux because their wiki is really nice. Adapt to your own distro as necessary.)

I've never seen anyone using OpenCL over ROCm, and I know for a fact that the mesa implementation does not cause issues (I have a friend who runs an AMD GPU and never experienced this issue.) So, lets first try uninstalling the offending OpenCL implementation. This will hopefully force Daz to use the one that is made by the mesa team and that I know works. Remove the rocm-opencl-runtime package and ensure that opencl-mesa is installed. If things work, perfect!

If for whatever reason, you MUST have that OpenCL over ROCm setup, you can attempt to force the system to only expose the mesa OpenCL implementation to WINE. You'll have to look into this yourself, but some pointers are using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or the to make one specific implementation get picked over the rest.